Red Envelope Giving Circle, a Horizons Foundation fund, is committed to creating positive social change in the Greater San Francisco Bay area through philanthropic support to Asian and Pacific Islander LGBTQ-led projects to improve the lives of API LGBTQ people and communities.
In 2016-2017, Red Envelope Giving Circle supported the following community organizations:
- Trans Justice Initiative – aims to build understanding and combat transphobia within the API communities through outreach and education
- QACON – a Queer and Asian Youth Conference
- A Queer Muslim Women’s Retreat – a 3.5 day retreat for queer / trans muslim women in North America hosted in the Bay Area
- A Book tour sharing a historical study of the American “Oriental”, a sexualized racial stereotype
- Building solidarity between Black and API Trans Women and Femmes – who have shared experiences in the California Prison Industrial Complex
- Breaking the Silence: Queer and Trans Koreans Surviving Violence – A national research project
- Awakening the Inner Beloved – bringing queer and trans APIs together for workshops featuring spiritual practice, deep nature connection and energy healing
- Xanh, the Movie – a short film that explores clothing as a form of liberation
- The Living Bridges Project – a national story collecting project documenting collective responses to child sexual abuse
- ASPIRE Summer Leadership Academy – An intensive 6-week internship program cultivating leadership development of undocumented APIs
- People of Color Inner Peace, Outer Peace Program – supports a six-week meditation retreat scholarship
- ISA’s Lunch: Butch Bentos for Sale – a short experimental film inspired by Isa Shimoda, a gender nonconforming Japanese American immigrant who was held at Poston concentration camp in WWII.