The California Community Foundation (CCF) is a public, charitable organization serving Los Angeles County in multiple capacities since 1915. We encourage philanthropy by individuals, families, companies and organizations, and serve as a trusted steward of their charitable funds and legacies. We make grants and collaborate with nonprofits in specific areas, and concentrate attention and resources on the needs of the most vulnerable individuals and groups in the community. CCF convenes and engages nonprofit, private and public sector partners to increase philanthropy and incorporate philanthropists into community problem solving in Los Angeles.
CCF is a dynamic environment that values individuals who want a purpose more than a position. We have a diverse and talented team of experienced and passionate advocates for our community. We are a learning organization driven by the idea that continuous improvement furthers professional development and increases our ability to effect positive change. We seek individuals who thrive in a fast-paced setting highly focused on results and impact.
CCF is hiring an Accountant. This position is responsible for accounts payable and receivable accounting and other accounting duties related to the foundation’s general operations.
• Cash Disbursements: Processes accounts payable for operating invoices, subsidiaries and fund expenses. Applies strong knowledge of chart of accounts and fund structure to verify and input coding of vendor transactions. Analyzes general ledger accounts on a monthly basis, recording invoice coding adjustments where required. Records monthly journal entries related to Accounts Payable including determining and preparing the appropriate monthly accruals. Processes and records all outgoing wire transactions. Prepares journal entries for fund balance transfers, and adjustments to accounts payable. Prepares annual sales and use tax report.
• Cash Receipts: Processes daily cash receipts and incoming wires, including coding and depositing into bank accounts. Processes and codes recurring credit card contributions. Processes and accurately records stock, and contribution receivables.
• Banking: Performs daily Positive Pay procedures for all checking accounts. Requests stop payment on check. Updates bank and investment accounts authorized signers in accordance with CCF’s signature resolution.
• Reports and Analyses: Prepares weekly contribution report and analyses. Prepares Departmental Actual vs Budget reports for management.
• Independent Contractors: Prepares report to Employment Development Department for independent contractors. Prepares1099 Miscellaneous forms for Independent Contractors and Form 1096 for filing with the Internal Revenue Service.
• Charitable Remainder Trusts (CRT) and Charitable Gift Annuities (CGA): Manages CRT and CGA accounts. Reviews, summarizes and reconciles monthly or quarterly activities of both accounts. Monitors activities of the investment accounts and communicates with the financial advisors on any issues and inconsistencies. Calculates and records present value of new accounts, and distribution amounts upon termination. Prepares year-end adjustments to liability accounts. Gathers information for the filing of Annual Statement of Segregated Annuity Fund.
• Audit: Prepares audit schedules & provides support as needed for CCF’s year-end financial audit.
• Petty Cash: Maintains, reconciles and replenishes petty cash and responsible for petty cash disbursements.
• Research: Researches vendor and donor inquiries.
• General: As appropriate, assists other departments and works as a member of interdepartmental teams to ensure the effective and efficient operations of CCF. At all times, demonstrates cooperative behavior with supervisors and coworkers. Other duties as assigned, dependent on organizational needs and employee skills.
• Requires the ability to sit and work at a desk for several hours at a time.
• Requires the ability to travel and attend meetings, presentations and events outside the office, which may require occasional use of a motor vehicle for transportation to other locations.
• Work may require weekends and/or extended work day.
• Punctuality and satisfactory attendance are essential functions of the job.
This is a regular, full-time, exempt position. Salary is dependent on experience and qualifications. A generous benefit package is provided to all full-time staff, including medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurances, parking or transportation, and retirement benefits.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job function assigned satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
• Experience: Minimum of three years’ experience in Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable and general accounting functions is required. Experience in a non-profit environment is preferred.
• Education: Bachelor’s degree required.
• Communication Skills: Strong interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills are required.
• Technology Skills: Internet competency and strong computer proficiency, including mastery of the Microsoft Office software suite is required. Working knowledge of Financial Edge and Raiser’s Edge a plus, with a willingness and ability to learn appropriate database, spreadsheet and other computer programs.
• Project Management Skills: Strong organizational skills and attention to detail. Ability to prioritize work and adjust to multiple demands.
• Team Work & General Skills: Ability to work well as team member. and independently. Ability to take initiative and provide clear direction to PO/Directors/ PAs and follow tasks through to completion.
To apply to this position, please visit our website at www.calfund.org and select “Careers” or go to http://www.recruitingcenter.net/clients/calfund/publicjobs
CCF is an Equal Opportunity Employer.