Asian Pacific Policy & Planning Council (A3PCON)
Los Angeles, CA
The Asian Pacific Policy and Planning Council (A3PCON) seeks an Administrative Assistant to directly support the Executive Director and staff of the organization. Reporting to the Deputy Director, the Administrative Assistant will help advance our work in civic engagement, capacity-building, and policy advocacy.
The ideal candidate will possess excellent written, oral, and organizational skills and have direct experience in a nonprofit environment. Experience and knowledge of the AAPI community a plus. This is an opportunity to work with a small, close-knit team in a values and mission-driven environment.
The Administrative Assistant will interface with A3PCON Board of Directors, Committees, and contracted vendors. The Administrative Assistant will be working to support A3PCON’s various initiatives, including Stop AAPI Hate; health-related initiatives like COVID-19 vaccination outreach and domestic violence prevention; and civic programs such as voter engagement and redistricting.
A3PCON, a coalition of over 40 community-based organizations, advocates for the rights and needs of the more than 1.5 million Asian American and Pacific Islander community members in the greater Los Angeles area, with a particular focus on low income, immigrant, refugee and other vulnerable populations.
Support A3PCON staff in communications needs in the areas of:
• Stop AAPI Hate: Represent A3PCON in communications efforts with Chinese for Affirmative Action and San Francisco State University’s Asian American Studies Department for the SAH incident reporting website and program.
• LA v. Hate: Represent A3PCON in concert with Los Angeles County’s Network Against Hate partner organizations to implement LA v. Hate communications strategies.
• Redistricting: Support Policy Director with communications needs of local and state redistricting commissions and advocates
• Voter Engagement: Support Program Director with communications needs for AAPI integrated voter engagement strategies for off-year elections as well as election years and position platforms for current election cycle issues
Equity and Social Justice
• AAPI Domestic Violence Prevention Project: Support Program Director and project partners to strengthen the community’s knowledge and practice of preventing domestic violence in AAPI communities.
• Older Adults: Support A3PCON Older Adults Committee with communications needs
• Human Trafficking: Support A3PCON API Human Trafficking Task Force with communications needs
• Housing & Economic Development: Support A3PCON Housing & Economic Development Committee with communications needs
• Environmental Justice: Support A3PCON Environmental Justice Committee with communications needs
• COVID-19 Outreach and Vaccine Resources: Support Program Director with communications needs
• Mental Health: Support A3PCON Mental Health Committee with communications needs
Administrative Support (60%)
• Monitor, respond and escalate Executive Director’s emails as necessary
• Administrative research, coordination and follow-up on A3PCON events and programs
o Organizing Executive Director’s media interviews, calls, webinars, meetings, ensuring all necessary details are documented in Google Calendar
o Collaborate with Operations Manager (OM) to ensure all A3PCON webinars/meeting logistics are organized, e.g., invitations, technology, scheduling, etc.
o Collaborate with OM and Program Director (PD) on uploading all grant information into Trello boards
• Weekly mail pick-up and check deposits; scanning and emailing to Accountant.
• Monitor and delete general voicemails weekly as needed
• Order office supplies as needed
Donor and Dues Management Support (10%)
• Work with OM to ensure all donors receive thank you letters, facilitate weekly downloads of PayPal donations, log received checks, and input donations into donor tracking system
A3PCON/ Stop AAPI Hate Communications (20%)
• Collaborate with OM to create template social media posts
• Input social media impact insights into trackers with OM
• Maintain donor list, and other mailing lists
• Coordinate follow up on administrative tasks (re: translations, emails, rephrasing information to share with leadership in meeting notes) with Operations Manager
Committee Coordination Support (10%)
• Identify and document committee meeting times, co-chairs, and project plans/events
• Collaborate with OM and PD to attend and take notes on all committee meetings
• Ensure timely coordination of administrative needs for committee grants with PD and OM
• Support OM and PD in coordinating programs and events initiated by A3PCON committees
The ideal candidate will possess:
• Knowledge of cultural norms and nuances affecting Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) communities
• Engage with diverse AAPI communities and faith-based groups
• Understanding of AAPI LGBTQIA+ issues and concerns
• Professional conduct and ability to abide by confidentiality and HIPAA rules
• Reflective, curious and a life-long learner
• Strong work ethic and high level of integrity
Education & Experience
• Bachelor’s degree and 2-5 years of demonstrated successful professional experience in an organizational environment (nonprofit experience preferred).
• Well-organized, self-directed, highly motivated, ability to work independently and in a team, and handle multiple tasks. and entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives
• Ease at managing competing demands and determining top priorities independently.
• True team player with excellent teamwork and collaboration skills; willing to support team members as needed across the organization for high-priority projects or events.
• Strong analytical, research, problem-solving, decision-making instincts, and verbal and written communication skills, with an emphasis on an ability to effectively communicate with diverse audiences using multiple mediums.
• Must have strong design and visual communication skills.
• Outstanding organizational and project management skills, with impeccable attention to detail and ability to work under pressure with a high degree of accuracy.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Google Suite, Google analytics, Slack, and Trello.
• Familiarity with Social Media management software (such as HootSuite, SproutSocial, Buffer, Percolate), Blogging Tools (WordPress), Email Service Providers (Mailchimp, Constant Contact, CovertKit), and Graphic Design (Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Canva); experience with a donor database is a plus.
• Ability to work flexible hours which include some evenings and weekends.
How to Apply
Annual salary range $40,000-$45,000, DOE, full-time, 40-hour/week, exempt position. Benefits package includes vacation and sick leave, reimbursement for health, vision, and dental insurance, and a budget for technology. This position will be remote throughout the EOY, with occasional meetings in the office and a potential hybrid return to the office in 2022. Position available immediately.
Please email cover letter, resume, three references, and writing sample, in PDF format, to Norbert Tan, Deputy Director, at with “A3PCON Administrative Assistant” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
A3PCON is an Equal Opportunity Employer, which does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, gender, age, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation, religion, HIV status, disability, or marital status.