Arabella Advisors helps foundations, philanthropists, corporations, and investors who are serious about impact achieve the greatest good with their resources. We work together across geographies on issues ranging from the social and economic advancement of women and girls, and conservation of our climate and planet, to reducing poverty and inequity in the United States and around the world. Our staff members are mission-driven and action-oriented, and have a unique combination of experience in philanthropy, business, nonprofits, government, finance, law, and other fields. We combine creative, strategic thinking with knowledge and networks developed through decades of hands-on experience. The fastest-growing philanthropic advisory firm in the nation, Arabella is also a certified B Corporation.
A curious, organized early career professional who will provide support for a range of Arabella’s philanthropic clients, with a focus on driving resources to where they are needed most through grantmaking and grants administration.
Associates on the Advisory Team play an essential role in supporting delivery of excellent client service – including: grants and program management, communications and deliverable development, research and analysis, and project support, including logistics coordination and administration – as well as internal projects. Associates will work on a portfolio that is primarily focused on grants and program management, and may include strategy and evaluation projects across multiple issue areas.
Client Service (~80-90%)
Grant Making and Program Management:
- Support the implementation of grant application processes and communications to applicants, including drafting requests for proposals and proposal scoring tools and determining selection criteria and application requirements
- Conduct review and analysis of grant applications and potential grantee organizations on behalf of funders, including building systems to efficiently track proposal submissions and applicant information
- Contribute to designing and executing equitable programs and initiatives that support grantees, including learning networks, newly created organizations, and donor collaboratives
- Contribute to meeting and conference planning on behalf of clients, including agenda development, speaker preparation, and participant management
- Support the regular administrative needs of a portfolio of client projects, including frequent email communication with internal and external stakeholders using Outlook, scheduling interviews, meetings, webinars, and focus groups, note-taking for internal and client meetings, knowledge management in SharePoint, and project administration in Arabella’s Salesforce interface, Manifest
- Provide additional administrative support as necessary
Research and Analysis:
- Conduct, compile, and maintain background research for client projects (e.g., global health issues, climate and energy, education reform, etc.)
- Transcribe, synthesize, and analyze notes from interviews with subject matter experts and field leaders, identifying key takeaways and communicating those to team members
- Support survey administration, data management, and analysis
- Conduct qualitative data analysis and quantitative data analysis using Excel, SPSS or other relevant tools, as necessary
Communications & Deliverable Development:
- Support the drafting, revising, and formatting of client reports, presentations, memos, and correspondence using email, Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Produce visual representations of research findings, such as Excel charts, PowerPoint slide decks, and infographics
Internal Projects (~10-20%)
Internal Strategy & Team Objectives:
- Contribute to team- or firm-wide strategic initiatives
- Training and Professional Development: Participate in ongoing training throughout the year and contribute to trainings to support new colleagues
- Support firm-wide internal projects
Our Core Competencies
- [Service Excellence] The drive to provide exceptional service to all internal and external clients and stakeholders
- [Resourcefulness and Strategic Thinking] The ability to anticipate and respond to challenges (expected and unexpected) that may not have obvious answers with creativity and a solutions-oriented mindset
- [Project and Task Management and Goal Achievement] The ability to effectively manage time, resources, and priorities to achieve desired project and task outcomes and strategic goals
- [Collaboration and Stakeholder Management] The ability to work cooperatively and inclusively with others, cultivate positive and trusting stakeholder relationships, and generate necessary buy-in to achieve shared goals
- [Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI)] The ability to create, maintain, and improve a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace community where Arabellans can thrive
- [Communication] The ability to understand your audience and communicate productively, effectively, and inclusively
- [Growth Mindset and Staff Development] The demonstration of a growth mindset and use of available resources and feedback to continually develop mastery in your role and facilitate team learning
About Arabella’s Advisory Team
The Advisory team is a collegial, client-focused, and DEI- and impact-driven community that provides a range of strategic consulting services to institutional foundations, family foundations, corporations and corporate foundations, impact investors, and philanthropic individuals. Our team helps clients chart their social impact and philanthropic journey, design and build new initiatives and organizations, develop grant-making and impact investment strategies, implement programs and grant initiatives, conduct diligence, evaluate impact, and collaborate effectively with other donors and investors. Together, we work with many of the nation’s leading philanthropists, helping them achieve equity-focused impact in education, health, conservation and the environment, and more.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI)
Advancing DEI within our firm and in our work with partners is critical to our mission. To be effective partners to philanthropists, nonprofits, and communities impacted by philanthropic dollars, we need to have a highly diverse staff, a workplace where individuals are encouraged to retain their uniqueness and can feel a sense of belonging, and a nuanced understanding of the racial, ethnic, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability status, and other disparities that undergird the issues we engage in and the interactions we have with one another. For us, equity means that our staff members, our clients, and the people they serve can experience the same level of success, no matter their starting place. We expect all our employees to share this commitment, and always seek ways to improve how well we live these values. Click here to learn more about DEI at Arabella and read our official DEI statement.
Total Rewards (compensation and benefits)
This is a full-time position. We offer a competitive and holistic total rewards package that includes salary, bonus, and benefits. Our base salaries are based on a blend of similar sized organizations from different sectors, including nonprofits, foundations, and professional service firms. They are also based on local market rates and differentiated by geography.
All full-time staff are eligible for our generous benefits package on their first day of employment:
- Health insurance- On average Arabella pays 86% of the medical premium, 80% of the dental premium, and 100% of the vision premium
- Paid time off- 16 days’ vacation, 10 personal days, 11 company holidays (7 federal and 4 more from a list of inclusive cultural and religious holidays and your birthday), 20 hours’ volunteer leave, 8 weeks’ parental leave
- 401(k) retirement plan- We offer a 4% employer match on a dollar-per-dollar basis, and there is no waiting or vesting period; all funds contributed by you and Arabella are yours to keep on day 1
- Reimbursements for your personal cell phone plan and fitness
- Pre-tax withholding for transportation and parking
- Bonus incentive opportunities
- Access to professional development opportunities
Working with Us
While this position must be based in Durham, NC, Washington, DC, or Chicago, IL please note that due to COVID-19, all Arabella Advisors’ offices are closed, and we continue to temporarily work in a remote environment.
When we reopen — currently anticipated in Summer 2022 — we will be returning to work with a hybrid workplace strategy to ensure continued flexibility for our staff, while deepening our strong culture rooted in collaboration and in-person interactions between colleagues. It is our expectation that once we reopen, Arabellans will generally work 2-4 days per week from the office and 2-4 days at home/remotely. We will make reasonable accommodations under the guidelines of the Americans With Disabilities Act.
To center the safety and well-being of its employees, Arabella Advisors requires that any employee who is required to conduct in-person activities for their job must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 within four weeks of their start date. This position may require candidates to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Accommodations may be sought and approved in accordance with the law.
We are committed to having a passion-driven, inclusive, transparent, collaborative, healthy, and fun culture. We invite you to visit our careers page to learn more.
To be successful in this role you’ll need:
- A minimum of two years of work experience
- An interest in the field of philanthropy and/or social impact, including grants management; Bachelor’s degree in a related field preferred
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail and a strong sense of personal responsibility for one’s work
The ability to provide excellent service, including the ability to efficiently and independently address routine service matters, to suggest effective client-centered solutions when elevating challenges or concerns, and to understand how the team can operate to maintain high-quality service
- The ability to complete complex tasks, to use a work plan to undertake projects, and to understand how those projects impact the client, team, and/or firm’s objectives
- Excellent research, analytical, and critical thinking skills
- The ability to communicate clearly, concisely, and professionally, including the ability to adapt style, tone, and content to various audiences; to make technical information accessible to broader audiences; and to collaborate with others to produce strong written deliverables
- Team-oriented, professional, with a positive attitude; the ability to work cooperatively and inclusively with others to achieve shared goals, including knowing when and how to compromise, being willing to proactively help colleagues, and sharing knowledge in various mediums
- The ability to understand stakeholders’ perspectives and circumstances, and to build and manage strong relationships that reflect that understanding
- The ability to be resourceful, take ownership, and be creative and solutions-oriented when encountering challenges that don’t have obvious answers, including knowing when to elevate challenges along with possible solutions
- An enthusiasm for taking on growth and development opportunities, including the ability to accept feedback and use it to improve performance
- Experience using Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel and PowerPoint
- Program and event management experience preferred
How to Apply
Submit a resume and a one-page cover letter online. The cover letter should address why you’re excited to work at Arabella and why you’re qualified for this specific job.
Arabella Advisors is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to racial equity. If we can make the application process easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please let us know.
We encourage you to read (or listen to) our DEI statement prior to applying. We make a particular effort to recruit people of color and members of marginalized groups to apply for open positions. Once you have applied, we welcome your feedback on how you have experienced our values around DEI in the recruitment process.
While Arabella is open to individuals from various locations applying to join our team, please note that we generally are unable to pay for relocation expenses, and all applicants must already be legally eligible to work in the United States at the time of application to be considered for this position.
We will review applications as they are received and look forward to hearing from you.