Social Policy Research Associates (SPR) provides customized services in evaluation, organizational development, and facilitation and training. We work collaboratively with clients to bring innovative approaches to new or existing strategies, programs, and initiatives. SPR is a small business with the capacity, experience, and expertise to handle large sophisticated analyses, which means expert advice and personal service.
The SPR team has in-depth expertise in a wide range of methodologies, intervention strategies, and fields. Our staff consists of more than 30 professionals with backgrounds in diverse disciplines, including education, sociology, public policy, and economics.
Social Policy Research Associates (SPR) is seeking an Associate for full-time employment in our Equity, Education & Community Change Division. We are a growing and dynamic research, evaluation, and technical assistance firm located in Oakland, CA. Currently, we are seeking applications for a qualified, full-time entry- to mid-level researcher. We are particularly interested in researchers with mixed-methods skills in both quantitative and qualitative research, who can contribute to our growing portfolio of work focused on education and equity-centered, community-driven change across systems.
The Company: At SPR, we believe in providing rigorous, high quality research, evaluation, training and technical assistance to improve the well-being of diverse groups of individuals, families, organizations, and communities. SPR’s work spans multiple areas of social policy, often focusing on supporting our clients with workforce development, employment training, education, philanthropy, youth development, health, and other human service issues. Over the past 25 years, SPR has earned national recognition for our work in evaluating the role of philanthropic and public-sector investments in policies and programs designed to improve outcomes for diverse populations across the country. Our clients consistently share an appreciation of the analytic lens and technical rigor that we bring to our work, and our ability to engage real-time data to inform continuous learning and iterative strategy improvements. For more information about SPR, please visit our website at www.spra.com.
What we are looking for: An Equal Opportunity Employer and federal contractor, SPR is an organization that values a staff with diverse perspectives and backgrounds. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability and veteran status (EEO/AA/M/F/Vets/Disabled).
All candidates must meet all the following requirements to be considered for this position:
• Master’s degree in a relevant field, such as public policy, sociology, education, psychology, economics, and other social sciences.
• Demonstrated experience in research methods (such as literature reviews, interviews and focus groups, site visits, survey design and analysis, management of data sets, and/or administrative data cleaning and analysis).
• Excellent writing, oral communication, and analytical skills.
• Experience working with racially and/or socioeconomically diverse populations.
• Spanish, Mandarin, or Cantonese fluency is also highly desired.
Qualified candidates will also have demonstrated research and evaluation experience in one or more of the following areas:
• Community-centered change efforts
• Education policy or systems (P-16)
• Racial equity
• Engaged philanthropy
• Movement and/or field building
• Youth development
• Policy advocacy
• Quantitative data analysis using STATA and/or R
• Training, facilitation, or technical assistance
The Position: Associates at SPR have key responsibilities for working within multiple project teams to implement research and evaluation studies and/or technical assistance projects. Specific duties will vary by the Associate’s previous experience, but may include a mix of the following:
• Conduct qualitative, case study research based on virtual interviews, focus groups, and/or site visits.
• Assist in the development, administration, and analysis of surveys, and the maintenance or analysis of other quantitative data, such as administrative data, using STATA or other statistical software packages.
• As part of a team, contribute to the preparation of evaluation reports, case students, learning papers, or other deliverables for government, foundation, and/or non-profit clients.
• Assist in the facilitation of learning communities or meetings, virtual trainings, and/or technical assistance activities.
• Travel occasionally to conduct site visits, attend client meetings, or conferences (depending on state and local travel restrictions).
• As part of a team, participate in proposal writing and business development.
• Depending on level of experience, lead project tasks.
The Location: SPR is a place-based organization in downtown Oakland that also offers employees flexibility to work from home. Our office is conveniently located right on top of the City Center BART station in downtown Oakland. The building plaza has great food options for lunch, and we are just a few blocks away from Chinatown restaurants. Our location in Oakland also allows us to be in close contact with many of the communities we support through our work. Please note that SPR is following all current, applicable state and county health and operating orders, and this position may not have immediate access to the physical SPR office. Once we resume regular operations, SPR will continue to flexibly offer hybrid at-home/in-office schedules for staff.
Other Information: In this role, you can expect to work in an office environment; occasional lifting up to 40 lbs; frequent telephone usage; extensive computer use; use of office machines; heavy keyboarding. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. SPR offers excellent benefits, including health, dental, vision, and 401k plan, and an Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP).
https://www.spra.com/about-spr/careers/ - This job will remain open until filled.