The Bush Foundation is seeking a talented, creative and collaborative person to join the Bush Foundation as Communications Associate. We are a group of people who are passionate about helping people and organizations thinking bigger and differently about what is possible, grounded in a strong commitment to both equity and learning. If you want to put your communications, digital and organizational skills to work for a dynamic, mission-driven organization, we invite you to apply!
The Bush Foundation is a private foundation based in St. Paul, Minnesota. The Foundation was established in 1953 by 3M executive Archibald Bush and his wife, Edyth. Today, we invest in great ideas and the people who power them in Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota and the 23 Native nations that share that geography. We work to inspire and support creative problem solving – within and across sectors – to make our region better for everyone. Learn more at BushFoundation.org.
The Communications Associate is responsible for a broad range of communications activities, with a specific focus on developing and managing digital content. They are the administrative and operational lead for the 3-person Communications team. The Communications Associate also helps to support consistency and effective use of the Bush Foundation’s brand.
Digital communications and program support
• Manage Bush Foundation website and social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram. This includes planning social media activity in conjunction with other Foundation staff, updating web content, developing and posting social media content, monitoring activity and sharing analytics with other Foundation staff to improve visibility and impact.
• Coordinate external Foundation newsletter in collaboration with the Communications Director, including writing and editing newsletter content, creating the newsletter campaign and graphics, managing distribution and reviewing analytics.
• Coordinate editorial calendar to support Communications and organization-wide planning.
• Assist Communications team members in preparing, editing and proofing high quality content on Foundation grantees, fellows, partners and initiatives.
• Respond to general information inquiries from the public on a wide variety of issues.
Team operations and support
• Manage day-to-day operations of the Communications team. This includes administrative support for team members and oversight of team finance processes, including expenses, budgeting and forecasting. Manage relationships with external vendors such as contract signing, budgeting, onboarding and tracking of deliverables.
• Provide operational support for Communications initiatives, including meeting scheduling, editing, coordinating materials and overall project management.
• Help to prepare RFPs, grants and contracts for underwriting, sponsorship and advertising.
• Provide communications and technical assistance to staff across the Foundation, helping to prepare, edit and refine materials and presentations, ensuring consistency and effective use of the Bush Foundation brand.
• Work with staff across the Foundation to ensure coordination between programs and teams.
• Contribute to cross-foundation work and learning that advances the Foundation’s overall strategic goals by participating in ad hoc work teams, equity projects and organization-wide workshops and committees.
• Actively demonstrate core organizational values in performing all duties.
Key Qualifications and Attributes
• At least three years’ experience in a communications role. A significant portion of that experience needs to include responsibility for planning, developing and executing digital content across social media platforms. Experience in a mission-driven environment or with social purpose projects is a plus.
• Proficiency with a broad range of communications and design tools such as MailChimp, Adobe Creative Suite, Survey Monkey, and Google Analytics.
• Strong writing, editing, and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to use social media effectively to promote the great work of our partners and grantees and to translate complex ideas into understandable and engaging messages.
• Willingness to take on new opportunities and challenges with curiosity and energy.
• Adaptability and flexibility as the Foundation continues to refine and implement new strategies and ways of working together.
• Experience managing multiple projects concurrently and effectively.
• Strong organizational and administrative skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Office. SalesForce and SmartSheets experience a plus.
• Ability to effectively interact, communicate and collaborate with people from a wide range of cultural backgrounds.
Reports to Vivian Chow, Communications Director
Classification: Full-Time, Non-Exempt
Starting salary: Annualized salary of $79,000, based on a 40-hour work week.
Benefits: We offer excellent benefits, including health, dental, life and disability insurance; generous retirement contributions; professional development and vacation, sick and holiday leave.
Location: The Foundation’s offices are in St. Paul, Minnesota, although staff are currently working remotely.
Schedule & Travel: Some travel (up to 10%) and driving may be required, with occasional schedule adjustments in order to participate in events or meet priority deadlines.
To Learn More:
Informational Webinar - We will be hosting a brief webinar on June 10 at 10:30 a.m. Central Time to introduce some of the people that you would be working with and to explain more about the position and the Bush Foundation. During the live webinar, there will be time to answer questions. A recording with closed captions will be posted on our website shortly after the live webinar.
Please register for the live webinar here: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/975412364817762576. If you wish to remain anonymous, you may register for the webinar using “Archie Bush” as your login name.
Please send a cover letter, resume, short professional writing sample, and link to (or PDF of) a couple examples of your professional social media work to Talent@BushFoundation.org. In order for us to see your application quickly, please put Communications Associate: [your name] in the subject line.
In your cover letter, please describe your interest in the position and the experience you’ve had that lines up with the qualifications for the job. We’d also love for you to share an example of a social media plan that you developed to promote an initiative, campaign or event.
We’ll be accepting applications until June 25th at noon (Central Time).
The Bush Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Spread Optimism. We encourage individuals and organizations to think bigger and think differently about what is possible. We are positive and supportive in our internal and external interactions.
Work Beyond Ourselves. We actively seek opportunities to work in true collaboration with others to have more impact. We are willing to both lead and follow. We candidly share what we learn with others.
Everybody Matters. We are a champion for both excellence and equity inside and out of the Foundation. We have fair, open and inclusive processes. We work to raise overall quality of life while also closing opportunity and achievement gaps.
Steward Well. We demonstrate appreciation for the Foundation’s history and thoughtfully build on its legacy. We hold ourselves to high standards of integrity and accountability and conduct ourselves in a way we hope would make our founders proud.
More Good. Every Year. We are a true learning organization and work to be smarter and more effective every year. We never lose sight of the reason we exist: to do the most possible good with the resources left to the community by Archibald G. Bush.