The Southeast Asian Defense Project is a newly-established project focused on preventing the deportations of Southeast Asian refugees. Through the combined strategies of policy advocacy campaigns, legal support with an emphasis on community-lawyering, and community organizing, we seek to end the removal of Southeast Asian refugees and keep Southeast Asian families united.
We are looking for a Communications Consultant who will be responsible for developing and implementing communications strategies to raise the public visibility of Southeast Asian deportations and efforts to keep Southeast Asian families united. The Communications Consultant will join this newly-established and fast-moving project, bringing with them communications experience, media relationships, and an eagerness to work thoughtfully with partners and directly impacted community members.
Duties and Responsibilities
● Develop and implement multi-faceted communications strategies that raise the visibility of Southeast Asian refugee deportations, and that educate, motivate, and influence targeted audiences including elected officials and the public;
● Develop key messaging, including messaging around the history of the community, and the impacts of the intersecting criminal justice and immigration systems;
● Develop narratives, and develop strategies for publicly highlighting narratives;
● Cultivate and maintain relationships with key reporters, editors, and producers in order to increase news coverage of Southeast Asian deportations;
● Manage and build a list of media contacts;
● Strategize and create communications content including talking points, press releases, op-eds, letters to the editor, backgrounders, videos, info-graphics, and social media content;
● Plan and implement communications actions such as press conferences, media roundtables, etc. that strategically advance visibility and advocacy efforts around Southeast Asian deportations;
● Develop communications and media training materials and workshops geared toward directly impacted community members;
● Collaborate with coalition partners to strategize and implement communications strategies;
● Prepare staff, partners, and community members for media appearances and interviews.
● At least 3 years of experience in communications and media work, including developing and implementing communications strategies;
● Understanding of and relationships with media;
● Experience working on advocacy campaigns;
● Understanding of social justice issues and systems-based approach;
● Able to take initiative and carry projects through completion;
● Able to work effectively with diverse coalitions and partners;
● Able to work comfortably and effectively with directly impacted persons.
● Relationships with New York and northeast region-based media;
● Experience working on immigration and/or criminal justice issues or advocacy campaigns;
● Understanding of the history and issues facing the Southeast Asian refugee community.
Applicants should send a cover letter and resume with the subject line “Communications Consultant” to Socheatta Meng at email@example.com