Reports to: Director of Communications
Location: Chicago, IL
About the Communications Department
The Foundation’s Communications team is responsible for the visual and written brand management of the Robert R. McCormick Foundation. We are the brand managers and the voice of all the grantmaking programs of the Foundation. We work within the digital design landscape, including various social media platforms, campaigns, photography, videography and editing to visually market the work of the grantmaking programs, and the grantee-partners of Chicago and the state of Illinois. Our team manages all visual content including graphic design, publishing, advertisement, signage management, brochures, video, photography and all marketing collateral. Additionally, we maintain social platforms for the McCormick Foundation, develop and cultivate relationships with our followers, and play a direct role in social media growth through the state of Illinois.
Opportunity: Communications Manager
The McCormick Foundation is looking for an experienced project manager and savvy relationship builder with a philosophy of providing excellent client service. The ideal candidate has strong writing and campaign management skills, and experience supporting fundraising and development communications.
The Communications Manager leads and oversees client service for all Foundation grant programs through coordinated communications support. This includes coordinating overall content development (stories, videos, graphics and presentations), designing and implementing fundraising efforts through public campaigns with the community, proactive and reactive media relations work, managing internal communications, and supporting plans that enhance the impact of the Foundation.
The Manager provides oversight to one Communications Officer (who, in turn, supervises the Communications Intern) in the design and development of social media campaigns, related content, and meeting support services. The Manager is a partner to the Web Development Manager in providing integrated communication support to all Foundation staff.
• Provides coordinated client service to all Foundation grant teams to develop and implement best-in-class internal and external communication strategies with confidence and diplomacy
• In partnership with the Director of Communications, develops, implements and manages the Foundation’s fundraising solicitation campaigns to support the McCormick Foundation Communities Matching Fund, disaster relief campaigns and other efforts as needed
• Leads the development and production of online and offline communication channels for internal and external audiences (i.e. the Roadmap, Insights, the RoundUp, Kernels, social media, etc.)
• Maintains the Communications editorial calendar, identifying and managing content topics, vehicle frequency and distribution methods
• In partnership with the Director of Communications, responds to requests from local and national media, providing necessary information as appropriate
• Provides supervision and direction for the Communications Officer
• In partnership with the Director of Communications and Web Development Manager, takes a leadership role in planning and execution of awareness campaigns and special promotional events
• Assists the Director of Communication in the management of the departmental budget
• Undertakes special projects as requested by the Director of Communications, including providing additional support to Cantigny Communications
• A minimum of 10 years of field experience in internal/external communications, fundraising communications, journalism, campaign management, public relations or related field. Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism or related field required; advanced degree preferred
• Presents an extensive writing portfolio, showcasing examples of online and offline writing styles (please note: candidates will be required to submit writing samples and participate in an onsite writing assessment during the interview process)
• Experience working in or with a fundraising or development department within a nonprofit organization and demonstrated ability to support campaigns greater than $500,000 annually
• Previous demonstrated experience managing a broad range of website and social media content development and distribution
• Familiarity with internal stakeholder client service and curating an editorial calendar for those clients
• Strong relationships with Chicago media and regional journalists
• Demonstrated passion for the Foundation’s values with commitment to deliver results measured against the Foundation’s mission
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to create content in the appropriate voice for the organization
• Excellent organizational, administrative, and interpersonal skills
• Capacity to thrive in a fast-paced atmosphere and interest in a working collaboratively as team member to accomplish goals
• Decisive and proactive; operates as a take-charge self-starter with adaptive ability to prioritize and manage projects
• Proficient in MS Office Suite
• All offers are contingent upon successful completion of a criminal background check and drug screening
Required Application Materials: Submit resume, cover letter, and two writing samples online here: https://donate.mccormickfoundation.org/_about-us/about-us---careers-newt...