Asian Pacific Policy & Planning Council (A3PCON)
Los Angeles, CA
The Asian Pacific Policy and Planning Council (A3PCON) seeks an experienced Communications Manager to lead the communications efforts and implement a comprehensive strategic communications plan. Reporting to Deputy Director, the Communications Manager drives the planning and implementation of communications that advances our work in civic engagement, capacity-building, and policy advocacy. The ideal candidate should bring experience in communications strategy and narrative building, social justice marketing, and communications leadership.
The Communications Manager is responsible for amplifying A3PCON’s brand, increasing awareness and visibility of A3PCON among key target audiences, and the general public. This position is responsible for daily activities involving media relations, website, social media, marketing materials, and other digital platforms.
The ideal candidate will possess excellent written, oral, and organizational skills and be experienced in communications strategy, community engagement and project management in a nonprofit environment. Experience and knowledge of the AAPI community a plus. This is an opportunity to work with a small, close-knit team in a values and mission-driven environment.
The Communications Manager will interface with A3PCON Board of Directors, Committees, and contracted vendors. The Communications Manager will be working across A3PCON various initiatives, including Stop AAPI Hate; health-related initiatives like COVID-19 vaccination outreach and domestic violence prevention; and civic programs such as voter engagement and redistricting.
A3PCON, a coalition of over 40 community-based organizations, advocates for the rights and needs of the more than 1.5 million Asian American and Pacific Islander community members in the greater Los Angeles area, with a particular focus on low income, immigrant, refugee and other vulnerable populations.
Support A3PCON staff in communications needs in the areas of:
● Stop AAPI Hate: Represent A3PCON in communications efforts with coalition partners Chinese for Affirmative Action and San Francisco State University’s Asian American Studies Department for the SAH incident reporting website and program. As a leader in the documentation and response to the recent rise of anti-AAPI hate in the United States, Stop AAPI Hate is currently in a transformative period. At the forefront of a national movement, its data, advocacy, community engagement and community-based safety strategies are making an impact at the local, state and national level.
● LA v. Hate: Represent A3PCON in concert with Los Angeles County’s Network Against Hate partner organizations to implement LA v. Hate communications strategies.
● Redistricting: Support Policy Director with communications needs of local and state redistricting commissions and advocates
● Voter Engagement: Support Program Director with communications needs for AAPI integrated voter engagement strategies for off-year elections as well as election years and position platforms for current election cycle issues
Equity and Social Justice
● AAPI Domestic Violence Prevention Project: Support Program Director and project partners to strengthen the community’s knowledge and practice of preventing domestic violence in AAPI communities.
● Older Adults: Support A3PCON Older Adults Committee with communications needs
● Human Trafficking: Support A3PCON API Human Trafficking Task Force with communications needs
● Housing & Economic Development: Support A3PCON Housing & Economic Development Committee with communications needs
● Environmental Justice: Support A3PCON Environmental Justice Committee with communications needs
● COVID-19 Outreach and Vaccine Resources: Support Program Director with communications needs
● Mental Health: Support A3PCON Mental Health Committee with communications needs
Co-develop and implement a comprehensive strategic communications plan designed to increase understanding and awareness of A3PCON among target audiences. This may include: media, donors, program and business partners, elected officials, colleagues in the field, civic and community leaders, and A3PCON members and their clients.
Develop and maintain A3PCON’s editorial calendar for media outreach, digital marketing and social media. Develop and implement digital media strategy
Develop a strategy to measure impact, influence, and reach of communications activities
Research best practices and trends in communications for the nonprofit field and policy organizations.
Amplify, strengthen, and identify new ways to enhance A3PCON’s voice and brand
Manage the development and use of A3PCON’s mailing and donor lists, Board updates, and other stakeholder communications
Coordinate with leadership on internal communications
Work with program leadership develop storytelling strategies to demonstrate impact and influence to donors, supporters, and other stakeholders
Build a culture of narrative storytelling, and communications across the organization as a tool for driving social change
Maintain proactive and responsive relationships with vendors supporting digital communications, website development, writing, marketing, earned media/public relations, and content development
Work with media relations consultant to implement effective media relations strategy, including pitching stories, writing press releases, organizing events.
Develop and leverage media relationships to identify new opportunities to promote A3PCON’s image and position in the field, initiate proactive media coverage, and lead an effective response to reactive coverage opportunities.
Maintain an editorial calendar, develop and secure placement of feature news articles, op-ed pieces and other digital, broadcast and radio coverage opportunities.
Research area newspapers and radio and television stations to solicit and facilitate media coverage of A3PCON’s work.
Coordinate media tracking and analysis.
Research, vet and schedule media interviews for Executive Director.
Guide the strategy on press outreach, including messaging in press releases, creation of press kits and materials, interview preparation, and responses to media requests
Oversee strategy, create content, and manage all social media platforms, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
Maintain, draft posts, and oversee e-newsletter, online blog, and press releases.
Manage SEO to ensure A3PCON’s digital media initiatives are effective, as well as to optimize the website and social media pages.
Ensure social media presence is relevant, consistent, and tailored to engage target audiences.
Interact with and engage social media and email contacts to promote audience growth.
Promote and manage A3PCON’s consistent brand through multiple channels and platforms.
Identify, and maintain knowledge of, key industry trends and issues for thought leadership article opportunities.
Coordinate, execute, and monitor strategic brand updates across all platforms.
Ensure design and content adheres to brand standards.
Review, strengthen, and manage A3PCON’s branding, visual identity, and style guidelines
- Design, write copy, and oversee the production of communication materials including annual reports, e-newsletters, brochures, fact sheets, program flyers, website content, social media, e-blasts, PowerPoint decks, new releases, thought leadership articles, blogs, press kits, videos, community award/recognition applications, fundraising solicitations, and collateral materials for special events, donor recognition and stewardship.
- Serve as primary writer and editor for external communications (e.g., remarks, messaging, talking points), including drafts for the Executive Director, as needed.
- Maintain current and accurate content in all platforms.
- Conduct regular reviews to measure effectiveness utilizing content management software and platform analytics.
- Serve as primary liaison with web development vendor.
- Create and implement email content to diverse audiences including A3PCON members, community leaders, donors, and policymakers.
- Lead the generation of online, print, and media content and storytelling that engages varying audience segments with specific metrics
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Knowledge of cultural norms and nuances affecting Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) communities
- Engage with diverse AAPI communities and faith-based groups
- Understanding of AAPI LGBTQIA+ issues and concerns
- Professional conduct and ability to abide by confidentiality and HIPAA rules
- Reflective, curious and a life-long learner
- Strong work ethic and high level of integrity
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree and 3-5 years of demonstrated successful professional experience in Communications, Marketing, Journalism, Public Relations, or related field. (Nonprofit experience preferred).
- Experience in digital marketing, database management, social media platforms/marketing, web site content management, communications, branding, marketing analytics.
- Knowledge of current marketing and communication principles and strategies.
- Proven experience in the design and execution of narrative strategy, nonprofit and/or social justice marketing and communications, digital strategy, and public relations
- Well-organized, self-directed, highly motivated, ability to work independently and in a team, and handle multiple tasks. and entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives
- Ease at managing competing demands and determining top priorities independently.
- True team player with excellent teamwork and collaboration skills; willing to support team members as needed across the organization for high-priority projects or events.
- Strong analytical, research, problem-solving, decision-making instincts, and verbal and written communication skills, with an emphasis on an ability to effectively communicate with diverse audiences using multiple mediums.
- Must have strong design and visual communication skills.
- Ability to develop content on traditional and digital platforms.
- Outstanding organizational and project management skills, with impeccable attention to detail and ability to work under pressure with a high degree of accuracy.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Google Suite, Google analytics, Slack, and Trello.
- Familiarity with Social Media management software (such as HootSuite, SproutSocial, Buffer, Percolate), Blogging Tools (WordPress), Email Service Providers (Mailchimp, Constant Contact, CovertKit), and Graphic Design (Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Canva); experience with a donor database is a plus.
- Ability to work flexible hours which include some evenings and weekends.
How to Apply
Annual salary range $60,000-$75,000, DOE, full-time, exempt position. Benefits package includes vacation and sick leave, reimbursement for health, vision, and dental insurance, and a budget for technology. This position will be remote throughout the EOY, with occasional meetings in the office and a potential hybrid return to the office in 2022. Position available immediately.
Please email cover letter, resume, three references, and writing sample, in PDF format, to Norbert Tan, Deputy Director, at with “A3PCON Communications Manager” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Position available immediately.
A3PCON is an Equal Opportunity Employer, which does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, gender, age, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation, religion, HIV status, disability, or marital status.