The AAPI Civic Engagement Fund, a fiscally sponsored project of NEO Philanthropy, Inc., is a national initiative founded in 2014 with the belief that Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders (AAPI) must be an integral part of strengthening America’s democracy, improving the quality of life for all, and creating vibrant multiracial communities. To this end, we foster a culture of civic participation within AAPI communities by supporting the growth of AAPI groups as organizational movement and power building leaders that achieve specific policy, systems, and transformational change.
The Data Manager is responsible for oversight of the AAPI Civic Engagement Fund’s research-related activities. The Data Manager implements help develop research strategy and projects that support the Fund’s mission, works to improve access to quality voter data and contact tools, and provides technical assistance and coaching on field plans to AAPI civic engagement groups.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Research Strategy and Project Development
• Work with the Fund team and groups to develop a research strategy that supports broader political and programmatic goals.
• Support the conducting of polling and controlled experiments that inform national, state, and local strategies and organizing efforts.
• Work with groups to develop and implement other research that supports local strategies and organizing efforts.
• Work with groups, vendors, and others to increase access to quality voter data, including more accurate and comprehensive Asian American and Pacific Islander ethnic group identifiers, issue models, and other tools.
• Serve as intermediary with The Movement Cooperative in ensuring grantee access to data and tools by providing technical assistance, handing requests, managing communications, and relevant contracts.
• Strategy planning assistance - work with groups through the development of campaign plans (electoral, civic engagement, voting rights, and issue campaigns) and provide technical assistance and coaching when needed.
• Support the development of field organizing and voter contact plans, provide access to relevant information including target universes, trends, or relevant models, and provide recommendations on how effective use of data including preservation and synchronization.
• Help groups track and evaluate outcomes and results, identify data-driven improvements, and learning needs.
• Track and write necessary activity reports.
• Monitor the use of data systems to ensure compliance with state and national policies.
• Provide or ensure grantees training on better data hygiene and data collection practices.
• Maintain Fund documentation of voter contact, turnout, and election protection data.
• At least three years serving in a data role with a campaign or advocacy organization and/or at least two previous cycles of field management experience.
• Base knowledge of how to read and understand voter, demographic, and other data sets and ability to communicate about that data to non-technical audiences.
• Experience using VAN (Voter Activation Network), PDI, and Civis.
• Experience using SQL, along with Python, R, Julia, or any other data analysis tool.
• Familiarity with SMS-based and/or relational voter contact tools.
• Advanced proficiency in Excel.
• A willingness and aptitude to seek out and learn new technical skills that will further the mission of the table and assist in presenting data to partners in an accessible manner.
• Demonstrated commitment to racial equity and intersectional justice and working with Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders, communities of color, women, low-income people, LGBTQIA individuals, and/or other historically marginalized communities.
• Experience working in coalition with partners or experience working in diverse communities is preferred.
• Experience mentoring, managing, or training staff is preferred.
O Ability to communicate via phone and to work at a computer for extended periods of time.
O Please send a resume, cover letter, and list of 3 professional references to: firstname.lastname@example.org with “Data Manager” in subject line
O The position will remain open until filled.