The California Community Foundation (CCF) is a public, charitable organization serving Los Angeles County in multiple capacities since 1915. We encourage philanthropy by individuals, families, companies and organizations, and serve as a trusted steward of their charitable funds and legacies. We make grants and collaborate with nonprofits in specific areas, and concentrate attention and resources on the needs of the most vulnerable individuals and groups in the community. CCF convenes and engages nonprofit, private and public sector partners to increase philanthropy and incorporate philanthropists into community problem solving in Los Angeles.
CCF is a dynamic environment that values individuals who want a purpose more than a position. We have a diverse and talented team of experienced and passionate advocates for our community. We are a learning organization driven by the idea that continuous improvement furthers professional development and increases our ability to effect positive change. We seek individuals who thrive in a fast-paced setting highly focused on results and impact.
Reporting to the Director of Development and Donor Operations, the development and donor relations specialist contributes to the internal operations of the department and participates as an integral member of the development and donor relations team, including responsive donor relations, project management of supporting organizations and donor stewardship, administration of donor funds, and life income gift maintenance. This position generates reports and metrics, conducts research, creates internal procedures, as well as is responsible for efficient operations and general data management.
• Donor Relations: Provides responsive and comprehensive customer service to high net worth donors with professionalism, timely attention to detail and coordination with other teams including Donor Relations, Grants Management and Accounting teams. Serves as an expert on operations related to prohibited activities and due diligence, including allowable fundraising and grantmaking activities.
• Donor Stewardship and Custom Engagement: Leads a cross departmental, integrated effort to manage enriching and deepening 1:1 engagement experiences for donors, including but not limited to site visits, exclusive opportunities, personalized thank you notes and impact reports. Creates and maintains annual calendar of donor stewardship and outreach touchpoints. Convenes staff and coordinates with multiple CCF departments to ensure that impact reports are consistent, efficient and timely.
• Supporting Organization Management: Leads the compliance needs and project management for CCF’s $120 million supporting organization program. Management of supporting organization program requires client relations, meeting management, development of meeting materials, including governance documents, meeting minutes and financial statements. Compliance component requires tracking of annual disclosures, circulation of time-sensitive financial documents and all corporate business-related filings. Convenes donor relations and finance teams to coordinate the overall program efficiently.
• Custom Fund & Donor Operations: Services funds and donors with complex operational needs including custom programmatic work, memorial funds and corporate employee disaster relief funds. Provides expertise and guidance to corporate partners to ensure IRS compliance and encourage best practices. Administers fundraising and donor stewardship for CCF’s Pass It Along program. Responsible for life income program management including gift intake and acknowledgement, donor relations, vendor coordination and administration of annuities and charitable remainder trusts.
• Customer Experience: Advocates for quality customer experience for donors in general and online through DonorConnect and other web portals. Audits database to ensure smooth operation of CCF’s customer service processes. Highly responsive to donor requests for information. As a member of the donor operations team, identifies needs for systemic adjustments to institute efficiencies and better serve donors.
• Mission Orientation & Integration: Keeps abreast with the trends, challenges and solutions addressed in the foundation’s key areas of grantmaking. Stays current on developments affecting low-income and vulnerable populations in greater Los Angeles, with focus on education, health, immigration and economic opportunity issues. Supports external team members in their demonstration of mission orientation and integration by assisting with relationship management that promotes aligned giving from donors.
• Research and Reporting: Facilitates the creation and reporting of metrics regarding impact for the department and specific funds, in collaboration with the director of development and donor operations. This may include dashboards, in-depth analysis of existing data, needs assessment and clean-up as necessary. Conducts research on prospective donors and advisors.
• Processes & Procedure: Writes memos, training guides and procedures. Conveys this information clearly and diplomatically, in person, over the phone and in writing.
• Education: Stays current and knowledgeable on gift regulations, donor fund management and compliance concerns. Researches best practices and identifies ways to systematize and communicate this information to donors in an easily digestible, consistent way.
• General: As appropriate, assists other departments and works as a member of interdepartmental teams to ensure the effective and efficient operations of CCF. At all times, demonstrates cooperative behavior with supervisors and coworkers. Other duties as assigned, dependent on organizational needs and employee skills.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job function assigned satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Experience: Three to five years in customer service or donor relations required.
• Education: Bachelor’s degree required.
• Communication Skills: Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communications skills. Superior and proven customer services skills. Ability to comfortably interact with diverse audiences as well as nonprofit and community groups. Ability to understand constituent’s motivations, expectations, goals and nurture relationships over time to create lasting bonds.
• Project Management Skills: Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail. Ability to prioritize work and adjust to multiple demands. Demonstrated ability to follow task through to completion in a timely manner.
• Critical Thinking Skills: Ability to assess, compile and disseminate information and independently complete assignments is necessary.
• Problem-Solving Skills: Self-initiated ability to analyze and improve on client relations, operations and other systems.
• Technology Skills: Internet competency and strong computer proficiency, including mastery of the Microsoft Office software suite and a proficiency with database software, is required. Minimum three years of experience with Raiser’s Edge, or other CRM, with extensive experience in database, spreadsheet and other computer programs.
• Knowledge of Nonprofit Practices: Strong knowledge of the nonprofit community in Los Angeles County.
• Team Work & General Skills: Ability to work well independently and as team member. Ability to take initiative and follow tasks through to completion.
• Requires the ability to sit and work at a desk for several hours at a time.
• Requires the ability to travel and attend meetings, presentations and events outside the office, which may require occasional use of a motor vehicle for transportation to other locations.
• Work may require occasional weekends and/or extended work day.
• Punctuality and satisfactory attendance are essential functions of the job.
This is a full-time, exempt position. Salary is dependent on experience and qualifications. A generous benefit package is provided to all full-time staff, including medical, dental, vision, LTD, life, FSAs and retirement benefits.
To apply to this position, please visit our website at www.calfund.org and select “Careers” or go to http://www.recruitingcenter.net/clients/calfund/publicjobs
CCF is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
CCF is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees, and we make employment decisions without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation or preference, gender identity, gender expression, age or any other protected status. We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable federal, state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.