Ploughshares Fund is a public grantmaking foundation that seeks to reduce and ultimately eliminate the threat posed by nuclear weapons. Our vision is a world where nuclear weapons can never be used again. We fund and coordinate individuals and organizations domestically and abroad that create solutions, drive policy and build grassroots support for a world free from the dangers of nuclear weapons.
The Director of Communications & Marketing – working in close collaboration and in support of other senior department directors – sets, guides and manages the overall external communications activity and approach of Ploughshares Fund. Supervising and working in conjunction with a team of two seasoned and highly competent digital marketing and communications professionals in our San Francisco office, the Director will be responsible for overseeing and coordinating the development and production of promotional collateral targeting existing and potential donors, the organization’s website, digital and social media efforts, brand reputation and external message coordination.
The Director is a member of the organization’s senior leadership, comprised of the President, the Executive Director/Chief Operating Officer, the heads of the development, policy, program and finance departments. The Director of Communications & Marketing reports to the Executive Director/COO.
The Director of Communications & Marketing’s primary responsibility will be to work closely with, and in support of, the Director of Development to enhance and improve fundraising results. In addition, the Director will have direct responsibility for managing efforts to increase the visibility of the organization among various constituency and affinity groups with a view to expanding and engaging our large digital community of supporters and friends, who are not yet donors. The Director of Communications & Marketing will also act as an advocate for preserving and enhancing Ploughshares Fund’s well-regarded organizational brand and will work closely with the President to facilitate strategic messaging across communications channels, including donor-facing communications, social media and public-facing messages.
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree is a plus.
- Minimum five years of experience in successful mission-driven communications programs with strong emphasis on leveraging communications for marketing.
- Excellent copywriting and copyediting skills. Comfortable accepting feedback and writing in a collaborative and professional manner.
- Track record of defining, positioning, differentiating and building strong brands.
- Demonstrated record working with new and traditional media. Experience in successfully utilizing social media to engage stakeholders including membership groups, media, policymakers and donors.
- Excellent project management skills and team-oriented approach.
- Functional knowledge of media databases, web management platforms, e-mail marketing programs and industry standard copyediting tools. Design knowledge and skills a plus.
- Outstanding oral, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Extensive network of media and journalist contacts a plus.
- Willingness to be on-call during crisis communication periods and attend special events, some of which may occur in the evening or on weekends.
- Periodic travel required.
Please submit a cover letter, resume and one to two-page writing sample to email@example.com with the subject line: Director of Communications and Marketing. Given the volume of applications, we will directly contact candidates if selected for an interview. To learn more about our organization, please visit our website, www.ploughshares.org.
Ploughshares Fund is headquartered in San Francisco, with an office in Washington, DC. This position is full-time only and based in our San Francisco office. Compensation is linked to experience, but will not exceed $80,000. Ploughshares Fund offers a full range of benefits, including health insurance, a retirement matching plan, paid sick leave and vacation time.
Ploughshares Fund is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage emerging leaders and people of diverse backgrounds and experiences to apply.