Founded in 1999 by Susan A. Buffett, The Sherwood Foundation seeks to promote equity through social justice initiatives, enhancing the quality of life in Nebraska. The Sherwood Foundation’s work is grounded in a belief that social justice is the proactive reinforcement of policies, practices, attitudes, and actions that all produce equitable power, access, opportunities, treatment, impacts, and outcomes for all. In service of continuing to build a culture of continuous learning and improvement in support of social change, The Sherwood Foundation seeks a new Director of Research and Evaluation to enable deeper understanding of the impact of their grantmaking and drive shifts in strategy based on that learning. The Sherwood Foundation has developed a distinctive organizational culture built on trust, humility, and integrity, where team members are empowered to lead and create, ensuring that it is aligned with donor intent.
With a talented team of 13, and annual grantmaking of $220 million, The Sherwood Foundation has a targeted focus on investment of resources in Nebraska and has built long-time, trust-based partnerships with grantee partners across the state. The Foundation’s unique structure allows for nimble operations without onerous grants approval processes in order to prioritize time and resources for emergent needs that support communities across the state.
Strong candidates for the role will bring many of the following experiences, skills, and attributes:
• A strong understanding of both qualitative and quantitative evaluation methods and practices, and experience working flexibly with program teams to identify and deploy evaluation processes aimed at usability and learning.
• At least ten years of experience in a nonprofit organization, foundation, or research institution. A PhD in research and evaluation is strongly preferred.
• Experience developing theories of change and logic models, along with facilitation skills to frame hypotheses.
• Creativity with an appreciation for complexity and non-linear thinking.
• An independent self-starter that thrives in a flexible environment.
• High emotional intelligence with the ability to provide nuanced support to team members on issues that may be challenges or points of opportunity. An engaging, accessible, and flexible style that builds trust and confidence across diverse team cultures and priorities. A natural collaborator with a service orientation and ability to listen and deftly influence and guide individuals and teams.
• Superior written and verbal communications skills. A compelling storyteller who can frame information in ways that are accessible to all.
• Ability to embody intentionality around learning and a talent for crafting thoughtful and strategic questions. A curious disposition motivated by the internal drive to understand and untangle complex issues.
• Commitment to the Foundation’s core values with a steadfast commitment to social justice.
For the full position description and to apply, please visit: https://recruitcrm.io/apply/25066767
More information about The Sherwood Foundation may be found at: https://sherwoodfoundation.org.
This search is being led by Allison Kupfer Poteet and Cara Pearsall of NPAG. Due to the pace of this search, candidates are strongly encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Candidates may submit their cover letter, outlining their interest and qualifications, along with their resume via NPAG’s candidate portal.
Cultivating a diverse and inclusive team is an essential component of The Sherwood Foundation’s commitment to advance equity. Candidates of all backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.