The Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation was established in the mid-1960s by the late entrepreneur and philanthropist Ewing Marion Kauffman. Based in Kansas City, Missouri, the Kauffman Foundation is among the largest foundations in the United States with an asset base of approximately $2 billion.
The Foundation’s vision is to foster "a society of economically independent individuals who are engaged citizens, contributing to the improvement of their communities." In service of this vision, we focus our grant making and operations on two areas—education and entrepreneurship—which our founder, Ewing Kauffman, saw as two ends of a continuum. A quality education is the foundation for self-sufficiency, preparing young people for success in college and in life. Many young adults will work in businesses started by entrepreneurs. Some will become entrepreneurs themselves, providing jobs and wealth for society.
To help individuals attain economic independence by advancing educational achievement and entrepreneurial success, consistent with the aspirations of our founder, Ewing Marion Kauffman.
Reporting to the Chief Talent, Integration & Culture Officer, the Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Engagement Manager will manage and coordinate efforts related to Race, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (REDI) initiatives and overall associate engagement for the Foundation.
The Foundation is on a long-term REDI journey and we’re seeking an individual who will bring both head and heart to this work. This is work that requires action and visible progress as well as ongoing care for associates. We’re calling that out because we seek an individual who will bring deep expertise, thoughtful strategy and execution, while also bringing deep compassion, authenticity, care and heart to this important work.
Specific Responsibilities include:
Foster a culture that advances REDI through policies, practices and partnerships
• Facilitate the Foundation’s ability to work as a trusting, strong team – both in internal partnerships and in building relationships with the communities we serve.
• Work in partnership with the Chief Talent, Integration & Culture Officer to establish objectives and outcomes for the Foundation REDI (race, equity, diversity, and inclusion) efforts designed to attract, retain and promote a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workforce.
• Lead the implementation of internal policies and practices to support REDI in areas including talent, engagement and inclusion.
• Contribute to internal and external communications strategy that enables the Foundation to pro-actively plan and communicate the Foundation’s REDI commitment, voice, and accomplishments.
• Maintain a strong awareness of REDI issues and trends; educate internal stakeholders on diversity, equity and inclusion matters.
• Cultivate partnerships with community members, community organizations, and stakeholders aligned to REDI mission and goals.
The responsibilities described above – especially regarding communication, outcomes and impact of this work, and cultivating partnerships will require a highly collaborative approach. The person in this role will work closely with the Talent & Culture team as well as team members across the Foundation who also share responsibilities for REDI internally and externally.
Foster REDI through the Foundation’s approach to Talent Attraction and Retention
• Partner with colleagues in Talent and Culture to integrate REDI methodologies that drive diverse talent identification, development and retention strategies.
• Bring an equity lens to all talent practices – including onboarding, growth and development and performance management.
• Oversee all aspects of the intern program including intern selection, program development and program execution.
Manage REDI associate skill development, learning and growth
• Develop and drive the implementation of education, tools, partnerships and processes focused on the development of a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace in alignment with Foundation objectives.
Associate Relations – serve as REDI internal point of contact, coach, sounding board and facilitator for opportunities, issues and challenges related to race, equity, diversity and inclusion. This includes facilitating/supporting repair practices.
• Develop and continuously strengthen effective relationships with associates across the Foundation to create the conditions for high-trust, high-performance, and a diverse, equitable, and inclusive culture.
• Support associate care and wellness – including holding associate healing spaces that acknowledge and are sensitive to the trauma associates carry with them.
• Coach and mentor associates on REDI-related issues.
Associate Engagement – manage overall associate engagement efforts with a REDI lens
• Promote awareness and understanding of REDI within the Foundation and instill REDI awareness and practices into the workplace culture.
• Advance REDI approach and programming across engagement opportunities, speaker series, and other development opportunities.
• Set direction and manage overall associate engagement via the Kauffman Engagement teams and initiatives.
• Lead the Kauffman Engagement Team to create a range of relationship building and engagement opportunities. Develop and deploy employee engagement group strategies that support team and departmental work along with the broader Foundation REDI work.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Education: Bachelor’s degree in psychology, sociology, business, human resources or related fields. REDI/DEI certifications preferred. Coursework in critical race theory preferred.
Work Experience: Professional track record of a minimum of 3 or more years of experience advancing diversity, equity, engagement and inclusion.
Travel: This position may require occasional business travel.
Qualified candidates for this position must be highly motivated, capable of self-direction, detail oriented, and able to work collaboratively in a teamwork capacity. Candidates must exhibit a keen sense of responsibility and enjoy working with multiple demands, shifting priorities, and constant change.
• Strategic thinker with a demonstrated track-record in anticipating trends in diversity, equity and inclusion practices for associate attraction, development and retention.
• Experience inside an organization with a mature diversity, equity and inclusion approach.
• Demonstrates a deep commitment to an equitable and inclusive workplace. Has knowledge, experience and a commitment to ongoing personal and organizational growth to foster a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace. Strong preference for a candidate with prior training/professional development healing and restoration, facilitating difficult conversations, unconscious bias, microaggressions and practices for advancing equity in the workplace.
• Should be tactful and diplomatic with good listening skills and an approachable personality. Must be capable of building and sustaining long-term relationships.
• Keeps confidences, easily handles confidential material appropriately.
• Demonstrates strong interpersonal skills; builds productive relationships with people both similar and different to themselves; strong team player.
• Strong project management experience and thrives in matrixed work environments.
• Exceptional organizational skills including the ability to meet or exceed expectations with regard to deadlines.
• Demonstrated excellent interpersonal skills which include a team-oriented approach.
• Launched and led successful diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives which required developing plan and actions.
• Led a major transformation or change initiative.
• Demonstrated progress against organizational resistance or barriers.
• Should have a personal values system that encompasses the highest standards of humility, humor, stewardship, respect, excellence, openness and professional ethics reflective of the Kauffman Foundation.
All of the statements in this position description are intended to describe the general nature of the work being performed and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. This document describes the position currently available. The organization reserves the right to modify job duties or job descriptions at any time.
Interested applicants can apply for this position https://kauffman.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/External/job/Headquarters/Diversi...