Advancing Justice – Asian Law Caucus (Advancing Justice-ALC) seeks a Grant Writer and Content Specialist who is passionate about social justice and the power of the written word. The Writer/Specialist is primarily responsible for developing and writing grant proposals to foundations, government entities, and drafting fundraising appeals to individual donors. The Writer/Specialist will work with the Development Team to persuasively communicate Advancing Justice-ALC’s mission and programs to potential and long-term funders to successfully meet organizational fundraising goals and objectives.
Advancing Justice–ALC is the nation’s oldest legal organization focusing on advancing and defending the civil rights of Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders (APIs). Since 1972, Advancing Justice – ALC has litigated high-profile civil rights cases, advocated for the passage of landmark policy changes, and provided an array of services, including community education, advocacy, and direct client representation to further the rights of low-income immigrants and communities of color. Current program areas include Workers’ Rights, Immigrant Rights, Housing Rights, Criminal Justice Reform, National Security & Civil Rights, Voting Rights, and ASPIRE, the country’s first API undocumented youth leadership program. A growing staff of 40 provides strong collegial support and opportunities to learn about and collaborate with other program areas.
Advancing Justice–ALC is based in San Francisco, a hub of the Asian American rights movement, progressive politics, and social justice activism. Our location in Chinatown is the first mixed-use, affordable housing co-op in San Francisco, serving as a model for preserving affordable housing in the city and protecting tenants’ rights.
The Development Team at Advancing Justice- ALC ensures the strong financial health of the organization to serve its constituents and remain a powerful influencer across broad segments of the progressive movement. We are creative and passionate professionals committed to excellence in the pursuit of Advancing Justice- ALC’s mission. We work collaboratively with our program staff and across a variety of activities to drive the organization's resource development strategy and infrastructure.
Day-to-day activities vary in this dynamic position and include the following:
● Work closely with the Executive Director and Director of Development to effectively represent the work of Advancing Justice-ALC in fund development writing.
● Write, review, and edit proposals and reports, develop case statements, letters of intent (LOIs) for foundation and corporate partners, in some cases working in close collaboration with the Grants Manager and the Development Team and Program Leads.
● Work closely with the Grants Manager and Development Team to assemble and submit grant requests, including letters, proposals, budget, budget narratives, attachments, presentations and email correspondence.
● Help draft the annual report, materials for major donors and individual contributors, management letters, and staff remarks.
● Create one-pagers highlighting program updates and client stories.
● Help craft fundraising appeal letters.
● Create and prepare briefing material for current and prospective funder visits for senior staff or board members.
● Assist the development team on special projects, events, or other fundraising strategies, as needed.
Salary is based on years of relevant experience and principles of internal equity. Advancing Justice-ALC offers a comprehensive benefits package, that includes the following: generous vacation and paid holidays; medical, dental, disability, and life insurance coverage; a flexible spending account (FSA); and 401 K retirement plan.
● Bachelor’s degree or higher.
● A minimum of 4 years of professional work experience in non-profit grant writing; experience within the legal, political, social justice sector or related academic institution is preferred.
● Excellent personal, written, and oral communication skills.
● Excellent writing with meticulous grammar and spelling skills required
● Analytical and research skills.
● Project management abilities; deadline-driven, excellent attention to detail and follow through; prioritizing multiple and competing projects, manage supplemental material required for proposals.
● Strong computer literacy (experience with Salesforce a plus);
● Ability and experience crafting letters-of-intent (LOIs), concept papers, proposals and stewardship materials for progressive institutions that have secured significant, multi-year gifts.
● A track record as primary author of grant proposals that secured foundation funding for an organization with a budget of $2 million or greater.
● Mission Alignment: An enthusiasm, familiarity and demonstrated alignment with Advancing Justice-Asian Law Caucus’s mission and one or several of its program areas. You have a firm knowledge of progressive API and social justice movement building, and the workings of nonprofit organizations.
● Creativity: You understand and can conceptualize the different writing styles for different audiences. You have a knack for conveying information and research that is compelling, clear, and persuasive in style. You have the ability to seek and synthesize a variety of data and information to communicate in compelling and succinct narratives and can comprehend funder and donor expectations, processes and sensibilities. You can frame Advancing Justice-ALC’s work for multiple audiences in multiple ways with a firm knowledge of current social justice trends and news.
● A Self Starter and a Team Player: You have the ability to initiate, organize and manage projects, and to interface successfully with colleagues in a collaborative approach.
Interested candidates should submit via email to email@example.com (as PDF attachments), including the following:
1. Cover letter explaining your interest in the position
3. 2 grant writing samples, authored by you. Submission samples should total 10-20 pages altogether.
4. Three professional references
Please indicate “Grant Writer and Content Specialist” in the subject line.
Advancing Justice – Asian Law Caucus is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified persons are encouraged to apply, regardless of race, color, creed, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation,gendr identity, gender expression, disability, HIV status, height, weight, marital or domestic partner status, or religious affiliation