The Skoll Foundation was created by Jeff Skoll in 1999 to pursue his vision of a more peaceful, prosperous, and sustainable world. The mission of the Skoll Foundation is to drive large-scale change by investing in, connecting and celebrating social entrepreneurs and the innovators who help them solve the world’s most pressing problems. By identifying the people and programs already enacting positive change throughout the world, the Foundation empowers them to extend their reach, deepen their impact that results in transformative social change in their communities and the world.
The Skoll Foundation has invested approximately $850 million worldwide, including the Skoll Award to 135 social entrepreneurs from 111 organizations on five continents.
This is a full-time position based in Palo Alto, CA. For more information on the Skoll Foundation, visit skoll.org.
The Grants and Finance Associate is an integral member of the Grants Management (GM) team and will be responsible for the effective application of the Foundation’s policies related to grants management and accounting. The Grants and Finance Associate will work closely with the Grants Management and Finance teams and collaborate with others across the Foundation.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Grants Management (85%)
• Create and maintain grant and accounting records that meet legal, audit, and Foundation requirements.
• Maintain accurate contacts, organization, and grant records in Salesforce/FoundationConnect.
• Prepare, check, and resolve potential matches on Bridger Insight for anti-terrorism compliance.
• Prepare and distribute grant agreements and other grant-related correspondence to appropriate approvers.
• Assist in monitoring and following-up on grants pipeline, grantee reports, overdue reports, and payments.
• Facilitate grants payment process and ensure documentation of completed payments for new and subsequent payments.
• Generate standard Salesforce and FoundationConnect reports to enable program planning and budgeting.
• Verify information on audit confirmation letters from grantees.
• Participate in the Core Administrative Team as a representative for the Grants Management Team.
• Support other projects as assigned by the Senior Director as needed.
Accounting and Finance (15%)
• Reconcile grants payable and grant expense in the accounting system.
• Provide accounts payable support through the entire cycle.
• Work with the Senior Director of Finance on month-end closing process.
The Skoll Foundation seeks a team player who gets things done with optimism. The ideal candidate will have a pragmatic, flexible work style, and the ability to learn and work on various tasks. The Grants and Finance Associate must be resourceful and able to prioritize assignments, handle multiple assignments simultaneously, work with minimum supervision and meet deadlines. A collaborative nature, customer- service orientation, attention to details, and sound judgment are also important characteristics.
Knowledge of foundation grantmaking, accounting, and Salesforce is highly desired.
The Candidate should have a minimum of two years of professional experience. Excellent verbal and written communication skills and impeccable attention to detail are imperative. The candidate must be proficient in Office 365 and able to quickly learn and consistently utilize software such as Salesforce and SpringCM.
The Skoll Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace and encourage our employees’ differences in age, color, disability, ethnicity, family or marital status, gender identity or expression, language, national origin, physical and mental ability, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, veteran status, and other characteristics that make our employees unique. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply. Please send your resume and a cover letter expressing your passion for the mission and your fit for the role to TalentAndCulture@skoll.org. Please include “Grants and Finance Associate” in the subject line. We will contact qualified applicants.