North Star Fund is a social justice fund that supports grassroots organizing led by communities of color building power in New York City and the Hudson Valley. We give grants to grassroots organizations through a process that shifts decision-making power towards communities fighting for justice. We organize people across race and class to mobilize resources towards social justice movements.
Through our Community Funding Committees, local organizers volunteer their time and expertise to help lead North Star Fund’s grantmaking and governance. From a modest committee of a few activists and a couple of staff members, our grantmaking has now grown to include three major priorities: organizing in New York City, Black-Led organizing, and most recently, organizing in Hudson Valley. Now with three years of grantmaking in Hudson Valley, the Hudson Valley Program Coordinator will continue and grow North Star Fund’s commitment to provide holistic support to emerging organizations building power in low-income communities and communities of color.
Are you an experienced community organizer with a connection to the Hudson Valley? Are you a talented facilitator and volunteer manager? Can you juggle multiple deadlines and priorities?
The Hudson Valley Program Coordinator will facilitate our activist-led grantmaking in the Hudson Valley and support our other grantmaking and capacity-building programs in both regions. The ideal candidate is an experienced organizer and facilitator with a proven track record of managing logistics. This position will report to the Deputy Director and will work in the Hudson Valley three days a week and in New York City two days a week.
● Convene and support our Community Funding Committee in the Hudson Valley to make our grantmaking decisions through a transparent, activist-led process;
● Communicate with grant applicants in a timely fashion, clearly explaining our guidelines and priorities;
● Ensure legal and due diligence requirements are met through collecting necessary documents from grantees, performing accurate data entry and keeping accurate files;
● Support our capacity building programs in the Hudson Valley and New York City, as well as New York City grantmaking programs;
● Assist in capturing the tremendous impact our grantees have on the Hudson Valley’s political landscape for fundraising and communications purposes.
The salary range is $55,000 to $65,000, plus excellent benefits.
Skills & Experience
• One to three years experience in community organizing, and ability to communicate North Star Fund’s definition of community organizing effectively;
• Connection to the Hudson Valley and commitment to willingness to put down roots there;
• Strong meeting or group facilitation skills;
• Experience with volunteer management;
• Excellent administrative and organizational skills: able to meet deadlines, manage a project with many moving parts and sweat the details;
• Fundraising experience preferred;
• Bilingual English/Spanish preferred.
To apply: Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls please. Application close date: Open until filled.
North Star Fund is firmly committed to equity and diversity and to the recruitment and retention of people from backgrounds traditionally excluded from philanthropy, including Black, Indigenous and people of color, women, LGBTQ, elders, and disabled people.