We are seeking an Investment Operations Analyst to join our team. This is an opportunity to learn all aspects of investment operations across multiple asset classes. The Analyst will have a key role in the investment operations group and work closely with various members of the Investment Team.
We are family foundation that is guided by the enduring business philosophy and values of Lucile and David Packard, who helped found one of the world’s leading technology companies. Their approach to business and community participation has guided our philanthropy for over 50 years. Today, their children and grandchildren continue to help guide the work of the Foundation. We make grants at the local, state, national, and international level.
We work on the issues our founders cared about most, which are improving the lives of children; enabling the creative pursuit of science, advancing reproductive health; conserving and restoring the earth’s natural systems, and supporting and strengthening an array of local nonprofit organizations.
A staff of 125 conducts the day-to-day operations of the Foundation and a Board of Trustees oversees the work of the Foundation. For 2017, the Foundation expects to make grantmaking awards of over $300M. David and Lucile Packard passed onto the Foundation the following core set of values: integrity, respect for all people, belief in individual leadership, commitment to effectiveness, and the capacity to think big.
Investment Operations Analyst
The Foundation is seeking an Investment Operations Analyst to join its 11-person Investments team, which invests and manages the Foundation’s portfolio of approximately $7.2B. The Analyst will have a key role in the investment operations group and work closely with members of the team. The ideal candidate must have a strong attention to detail, handle multiple tasks effectively, and enjoy working in a collaborative environment. This is an excellent opportunity for the right candidate to learn all aspects of investment operations across multiple asset classes.
Qualifications and skills that the Foundation would expect to see in a strong candidate are described below. Prior investment operation experience or investment accounting experienced required, strong analytical skills, intellectual curiosity, and an interest in investing are a must.
• Research and resolve investment operations and accounting issues in a timely and accurate way
• Ensure the integrity of performance data
• Generate and reconcile daily, monthly, quarterly, and annual investment reports
• Process investment cash flows and assist with cash forecasts
• Maintain ongoing relationship with the custodial bank, vendors, and internal groups
• Prepare materials for quarterly Investment Committee meetings in Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
• Track and maintain investment-related information on central spreadsheets and databases; research and resolve exceptions
• Manage operations requests from Investment Team
• Undertake special projects as requested
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• High level of interest in investment operations
• Strong organizational and time management skills
• A sense of humor and ability to demonstrate grace under pressure are highly valued
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well in a small team environment
• Confident in his/her ability to work independently with results
• Strong orientation to detail and accuracy
• Strong quantitative and analytical skills
• Unquestioned integrity and a strong work ethic
• A good writer, communicator, and team player
• Proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook and other investment databases
Candidate must have the ability to communicate via voice telephone, read and understand written communication, and generate written communication manually and using a computer. Candidate must also be able to work at a desk for long periods of time (2-3 hours), lift and move documents and supplies (not to exceed 20 lbs.), and bend to file or retrieve documents.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree with excellent academic performance or equivalent education and work experience. Required relevant work experience is 3-5 years in financial/investment operations (hedge fund or private equity background desirable), accounting, auditing, or other operational role.
Benefits and Compensation
We offer an excellent benefits package and a salary that is commensurate with education and experience. The position is full-time, exempt, and located in downtown Los Altos, CA.
Please send a one-page cover letter explaining your interest in the role and a one-page resume to email@example.com referring to job number 17-20-8890R in the subject line.
Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
No phone inquiries, please.
The Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes a diverse candidate pool.
The Foundation uses an outside firm to check the accuracy of information supplied by applicants.
Principal applicants only.
More information about the Foundation can be found at www.packard.org.