The California Wellness Foundation is a private, independent foundation established in 1992 with a mission to protect and improve the health and wellness of the people of California. As one of the largest health-focused foundations in California, with approximately $1 billion in assets, Cal Wellness is a nationally recognized leader for its strategic core operating support for grantees; public policy grantmaking; and a focus on violence as a public health issue. It is Cal Wellness’ desire to promote equity and level the playing field so that everyone has access to good-paying jobs, healthy and safe neighborhoods, and quality health care services. The Foundation’s current Advancing Wellness grantmaking strategy includes three interrelated portfolios: Bridging the Gaps in Access and Quality Care; Promoting Healthy and Safe Neighborhoods; and Expanding Education and Employment Pathways. In addition, the foundation is proud of its $15 million initiative focused on women of color and its recent investments in the area of immigration. Since its founding, Cal Wellness has awarded nearly 9,000 grants totaling more than $1 billion. Its annual operating budget is approximately $13M, and its annual grantmaking is approximately $37M. In addition, Cal Wellness awards approximately $2 million in Program Related Investments (PRIs) each year.
As the foundation looks to the future, it is pursuing new and innovative strategies beyond its core grantmaking to advance its mission, including using the foundation’s voice to speak out on critical issues that affect health and wellness, and investing $50 million in mission related investments (MRIs).
Cal Wellness has a diverse staff of approximately 40 located in our Los Angeles and Oakland offices and a diverse 11-member Board located throughout the state of California. The Foundation’s work underscores a belief that wellness requires social justice, a deep commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI), and sustained efforts to eliminate systemic barriers that prevent access to health care, education, employment and safety.
The California Wellness Foundation seeks an innovative and customer service oriented, Manager of IT and Operations to join its team! The Manager of IT and Operations is a new hybrid position that will manage daily IT operations and oversee a variety of operations functions including facilities, security, and planning for two offices (Los Angeles and Oakland) supporting 45 staff. The manager will oversee the work of a technical support specialist, and two office services coordinators. The manager must balance department leadership, project and policy design and management, and direct, day-to-day user support.
Cal Wellness' mission-critical work and high-performing team rely on a robust and dynamic operations group to provide a high-quality IT, office, and operations experience to staff, board, visitors, and guests. This position will play a critical role in delivering on that goal. Successful candidates will share our vision for improving the way we work at work. They will bring enthusiasm for operations, superb technology skills, strong managerial skills, proactive communication skills, and a deep commitment to collaborating with team members.
Information Technology (70%)
With the organization’s core IT infrastructure already moved to the cloud, the manager of IT and operations will have the opportunity to operate a nimble IT team. That work will include:
• Provide guidance and leadership to the IT department.
• Oversee and direct the day-to-day activities of the technical support specialist.
• Ensure that systems, services, and infrastructure work reliably and securely.
• Oversight of networks and servers, including security
• Respond to user help-desk requests that may range from standard desktop support to security/administrative/integration issues.
• Directly support end users by handling escalations, resolving user issues, and monitoring the stability and performance of business-critical systems to prevent delays and outages and quickly resolve ongoing issues.
• Manage IT vendors, including ordering required supplies and equipment.
• Serve as an information resource and thought partner with other departments regarding technology solutions.
• Manage SaaS providers, including subscription renewals and compliance with SLAs.
Facilities & Operations (30%)
• Responsible for the full-spectrum of office administration, including facilities, security, parking, etc.
• Responsible for planning and laying the groundwork to keep both offices running smoothly.
• Supervise and support the day to day work of the office services coordinators to make sure each office is properly equipped and functioning.
• In coordination with the office services coordinators, work closely with each building’s property management company on critical services, maintenance, etc.
• Create connections between the work of IT, office, and other operations staff through refining workflows, simplifying processes, and eliminating redundancies.
• Manage Cal Wellness’s disaster recovery planning and emergency responses.
• Manage vendors related to all types of office supplies and services. Optimize vendors and processes for cost, efficiency and quality.
• Proactively communicate processes and policies and general updates through out the organization.
• IT Experience – Seven or more years in a professional IT role, demonstrating progressive responsibility and leadership in a setting that includes direct user support and SaaS.
• Technical skills – Extensive training on computer software and hardware, including servers and systems, and management of SaaS (e.g., SSO, security, backup). Knowledge of and experience with Office 365 (Exchange, Active Directory, security and SSO) is a must. Prior experience with Salesforce and/or NetSuite is a plus; the ability to learn/certify administrator duties of both is a requirement. Additional systems in use include: Meraki, Ring Central, Azure, Box, Microsoft Office, and internal networking (domain controllers, print servers).
• Customer service – A track record and ethic of strong, proactive customer service is critical.
• Vendor management – Experience negotiating and managing IT and facilities contracts and maintaining vendor relationships, including SLA monitoring and subscription renewals.
• Organization and prioritization skills – Superior organization skills and ability to handle multiple and diverse projects. The flexibility to adapt to evolving priorities.
• Facilities and logistics experience – Understanding of the facilities needs of a ~40-person office. Ability to handle logistic across two locations.
• Team leadership – Able to effectively manage a small team, set department priorities, and work across departments on projects.
• Process enhancement– Demonstrated ability to assess, develop and implement policies and procedures.
• Communication skills – Strong written and verbal communicators, able to communicate with team members, management, and end users throughout Cal Wellness.
• Problem-solving skills – Excellent problem-solving skills, especially when it comes to directly addressing user issues.
• Budget management – Strong financial management and budgeting skills.
• Superior judgement and ability to use discretion and handle sensitive information.
Periodic travel, for example between the LA and Oakland offices, and for periodic trainings and conferences, may be required.
The ideal candidate will embody Cal Wellness’ core competencies:
• Live our Core Values: Respect, Integrity, Accountability, Equity, Stewardship, Excellence, Learning, and Trust.
• Drive Towards Innovation: Be bold. Experiment and learn from both successes and failures.
• Make a Difference: Yes, we can. Own our responsibilities and our ability to make positive change.
• Contribute to One Team: We’re in this together. Our success is a collective effort.
• Show Courage: Be thoughtful but act on your convictions. Be open to feedback.
Lucas Group has been retained for this search. Interested and qualified candidates should apply by uploading their resume and letter of interest. All correspondence will remain confidential. Apply at www.calwellness.org