SYL Foundation is a public charity founded in 2008. By combining compassion and philanthropy with strategic grant making, SYL Foundation strives to advance quality health care and education for all. Through its grant-making program, the Foundation addresses chronic inequities within the health and education systems by seeking and funding innovative programs serving immigrants and refugees in Washington’s King, Pierce, and Snohomish counties. SYL Foundation also provides Rapid Response grants to local partners, Emergent Needs grants to address urgent issues within the immigrant and refugee community, and Lotus Scholarship grants for immigrant students.
Scope of Work
SYL Foundation is seeking a part-time employee to provide administrative and program support to the Foundation while also assisting with the Foundation’s communications strategy.
Operations and Grantmaking Support
• Coordinate payments of grant funds to grantees and maintain accurate records. Keep online grants management system up-to-date and accurate at all times.
• Prepare materials for Board Meetings including charts and summaries of applications and grantee reports.
• Manage the Lotus Scholarship program, including: outreach to local schools and non-profits; scheduling interviews; arranging scholarship payments; and maintaining contact with and supporting Lotus Scholars. Provide Lotus Scholars with information on college resources. Manage logistical arrangements for annual college preparation workshop in coordination with our non-profit partner.
• Communicate with grantees, which may include arranging meetings, following up on reports, and ensuring that grant agreements and acknowledgements are submitted.
• Manage logistics and assist with program ideas for annual grantee lunch.
• Make logistical arrangements for Board meetings.
• Order office supplies as necessary.
• With supervision from Vice President, create a yearly communications workplan/calendar and execute it to promote the Foundation’s efforts and impact.
• Boost the Foundation’s social media presence and keep social media accounts active and updated.
• Write quarterly articles promoting the Foundation’s work and the work of our grantees.
• Assist Foundation President with annual event preparation as requested. This could involve assisting with presentation content, creation of video, and preparation of display board materials.
• Maintain relationships with content translators.
NOTE: The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of a specific statement of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. This is a small office and we expect all employees to contribute as necessary.
We are looking for a motivated and organized individual who will be able to function independently while taking direction from the Vice-President and President. The Program and Communications Coordinator should possess the following skills and experiences:
• Commitment to SYL Foundation’s core values of equity and inclusion as well as the ability to understand complex social issues.
• Demonstrated ability to prioritize, work independently, and proactively execute multiple projects simultaneously.
• Minimum 2 years’ work experience, experience with communications, database management, office management, and/or community outreach preferred.
• Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
• Tech savvy and experience with WordPress and social media marketing (Facebook and Twitter) preferred. Experience with Microsoft Office is required. The ideal candidate will be comfortable using a wide array of software and web-based applications and will be able to learn new technology quickly.
• Knowledge of Mandarin Chinese is a plus.
• Knowledge of local nonprofit community is a plus.
• Knowledge of Foundant grant and scholarship management software is a plus.
If interested, please contact Rachel Allen at email@example.com. Please send a resume and a cover letter detailing your experience and explaining your interest in the position. We will not be accepting phone calls about this position. We will accept applications until November 15, 2019. The position will start on January 13, 2020.
The Program and Communications Coordinator will primarily work in the Foundation’s office in downtown Bellevue and will be supervised by the Vice-President, Director of Programs and Operations. No relocation funds are available for this position. The Program and Communications Coordinator will work 20 hours per week but the exact days and times are flexible. There are no benefits for this position. Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) Classification: Exempt.
SYL Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, national origin, ethnicity, gender, disability, sexual orientation, political affiliation, religious
belief, or any other protected status. SYL Foundation values a diverse workplace. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a comprehensive background check.