Wellspring Philanthropic Fund
New York, NY
Wellspring Philanthropic Fund is a private grantmaking foundation dedicated to advancing the realization of human rights and social and economic justice for all people. With offices in Washington, D.C. and New York City, Wellspring’s work is rooted in respect for the dignity and worth of every human being and is informed by the following beliefs:
• Social institutions and structures should promote the full realization of human rights and human potential, and should be accountable to these ends.
• The rights of all people are advanced when the rights of the most marginalized and vulnerable peoples are protected.
• Social justice movements should employ means that are consistent with their ideals, and should give agency to the people whose interests they seek to advance.
• As responsible stewards, we must strive to maximize the impact of our charitable investments.
For more information on Wellspring Philanthropic Fund, please visit www.wpfund.org.
Wellspring Philanthropic Fund seeks a program associate to join its Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity & Expression Program (SOGIE). WPF’s SOGIE Program seeks to confront and dismantle entrenched homophobia and transphobia and to build a world in which all LGBTQI people, including the most marginalized, enjoy full autonomy, safety, dignity, and rights. The program associate plays a key role in providing grantmaking support and coordinating programmatic tasks for the team.
The Program Associate reports to the Program Director and works collaboratively with the SOGIE Sr. Program Officers, Program Officers, Administrative Assistant, Grants Management team, and other Wellspring staff. Day-to-day, the Program Associate contributes to the following key priorities:
• Grants Process Coordination
• Communications, and
• Team coordination and support
Grants Process Coordination
– Support the team’s grantmaking processes, including communications with grantees, reviewing proposals and reports, setting and monitoring timelines, maintaining grantmaking databases and spreadsheets, and conducting due diligence.
– Track grantmaking and administrative budgets.
– Communicate with program and grants management team members about upcoming deadlines.
– Research and prepare donor education materials and other materials for internal Wellspring use, such as presentations, staff meeting presentations, work plans, and annual reports.
– Manage donor updates, including by collecting newsworthy items, grantee updates, and consulting with program officers on content edits.
– Recommend and implement improvements to team systems and project management practices.
– Prepare, proofread, and edit written work as requested.
– Organize team documents and files on shared platforms.
Team Coordination and Support
– In collaboration with the Administrative Assistant, provide administrative and logistical support as needed, including but not limited to helping to coordinate meetings, plan convenings, manage consulting contracts, and make other arrangements.
– Work closely with program staff to support SOGIE grantees across diverse themes, both within the United States and globally. This may include:
• Serving as a compliance checkpoint to ensure that grantmaking stays within yearly budgets, and to ensure grant proposals comply with internal standards.
• Supporting “due diligence” in reviews of grant proposals and applicant organizations, including determining where additional information is needed from the applicant.
• Assisting program staff with analyzing and summarizing grant proposals and drafting grant recommendations.
• Assisting program staff with tracking grantee work and outcomes, including reviewing grant reports, participating in meetings with grantees, and reading and tracking news and research that relates to the work.
• Supporting planning and project management and participating in the development of strategy, strategic plans, evaluations, and reviews.
• Conduct research related to field developments, potential grantees, and other topics requested by the program team. Write short memos and issue briefs.
• As requested, represent Wellspring at external meetings and conferences with partners, funders, and field leaders.
• Serving as lead point of contact for some grantees on an as needed basis.
The ideal candidate is passionate about LGBTQI liberation and brings both a seriousness of purpose and a sense of joy to the work. WPF seeks a colleague eager to learn, grow, and be part of an enterprise larger than themselves. Candidates should possess the following knowledge, skills and qualifications:
• Three to six years of professional experience in an office environment working as a member of a team executing tasks relevant to the job description.
• Deep familiarity with LGBTQI movements, both domestically and internationally, and demonstrated commitment to gender, economic, and racial justice.
• Prior project management experience, including proven ability to track and analyze project deliverables, track variances, and execute reporting.
• Ability to move multiple, high-volume workstreams forward and meet deadlines.
• Ability to manage own workstreams, work independently and collaboratively, to take initiative, to be proactive, to be flexible, and to manage one’s own time. Ability to convey information and data effectively through visual and written materials such as graphics, charts, slides, and memos.
• Excellent desk research skills. Ability to summarize complex ideas and synthesize
• Proficiency with tools such as Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Zoom. Experience with or ability to quickly learn tools such as Box, Miro, Prezi, Teams, and Asana.
• Experience with administrative support and logistics, including writing correspondence, tracking multi-component processes, document storage, organizing travel, and database management.
• Excellent English language writing, editing and proofreading skills. Excellent analytic abilities and organizational skills.
• Comfort with quantitative data, spreadsheets, and budgets.
• Ability to handle confidential information with complete discretion.
• Excellent interpersonal skills in a cross-cultural, team environment.
• Demonstrated willingness to learn and be open to new ideas.
• Understands and values social justice, including racial and gender equity as an organizational operating principle, and is committed to continued learning on issues related to race, gender, equity, diversity, and inclusion.
Spanish fluency desired but not required.
LIMITATIONS AND DISCLAIMER
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position. The team member may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary range of $75,000 – $83,000 commensurate with experience.
Wellspring offers a very generous benefits package including payment of 100% of the health insurance premiums for employees (and 80% of the premiums for spouses, domestic partners, and qualified family members). Wellspring also offers other benefits including life insurance, long-term disability protection, a group 401(k) retirement plan (with an employer match), support for continuing education, up to $5,250 in annual student loan repayment or college savings assistance for qualified dependents and is committed to providing transgender- inclusive healthcare.
How to Apply
COVID-19 HIRING UPDATE
Wellspring’s Offices have returned to in-person work using a hybrid model. Staff are expected to be fully vaccinated and to work from the office Tuesday – Thursday and have the option to work remotely Monday and Friday. To ensure the safety and well-being of our employees, we will continue to monitor the situation and follow the recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
For employment consideration, please submit application to Subject Line: “SOGIE Program Associate-[Your name].” All applications must include:
• a resumé;
• a thoughtful cover letter, including how you became aware of this opportunity
(i.e. job portal, referral, etc.) and salary minimum requirements; and
• an analytical writing sample (3-5 pages) attached as PDF.
No phone calls please.
NOTE: All applicants must be legally eligible to work in the United States at the time of hire to be considered for these positions.