Social Policy Research Associates (SPR) is seeking an Associate for full-time employment in our Philanthropy, Equity & Youth Division. We are a growing and dynamic research, evaluation, and technical assistance firm located in Oakland, CA. Currently, we are seeking applications for an entry- to mid-level researcher to join our Philanthropy, Equity & Youth Division. We are looking to hire an Associate skilled in quantitative research to help build and evaluate a portfolio of initiatives and programs aimed at improving outcomes for diverse communities, youth, and families.
The Company: At SPR, we believe in providing rigorous, high quality research, evaluation, training and technical assistance to improve the well-being of diverse groups of individuals, families, organizations, and communities. SPR’s work spans multiple areas of social policy, often focusing on supporting our clients with workforce development, employment training, education, philanthropy, youth development, health, and other human service issues. Over the past 25 years, SPR has earned national recognition for our work in evaluating the role of philanthropic and public-sector investments in policies and programs designed to improve outcomes for diverse populations across the country. Our clients consistently share an appreciation of the analytic lens and technical rigor that we bring to our work, and our ability to engage real-time data to inform continuous learning and iterative strategy improvements. For more information about SPR, please visit our website at www.spra.com.
What We Are Looking For: An Equal Opportunity Employer, SPR is an organization that values a staff with diverse perspectives and backgrounds. All candidates must meet all the following requirements to be considered for this position:
• Master’s degree in one of a variety of social science disciplines, including public policy, public health, sociology, education, psychology, economics, etc.
• Experience with equity-focused policy, systems, community change efforts, leadership or organizational development, field or movement building, youth programs or youth development.
• Demonstrated experience in quantitative research methods, including:
o Survey design and administration,
o Collecting and importing/exporting data large scale datasets into statistical software,
o Administrative and survey data cleaning, and
o Survey/administrative data top-line analyses (e.g., frequencies, means, standard deviations).
• Familiarity with inferential statistical methods such as t-tests, multiple regression, etc.
• Experience with R and STATA analysis software.
• Ability to bring a culturally responsive, critical race, gender, and equity lens to research and analysis.
• Excellent writing, oral communication, and analytical skills.
• Direct experience and interest in working with racially or socioeconomically diverse communities.
• Experience with Social Network Analysis and social media analysis is highly desirable.
• Experience with data visualization software such as Tableau and/or R Shiny is a plus.
About the Position: Associates at SPR have key responsibilities for working within multiple project teams to implement research and evaluation studies and/or technical assistance projects, and (depending on experience) may oversee portfolios of work. Specific duties will vary by previous experience and research skills, but may include a mix of the following:
• Evaluation and analysis of foundation investments, through grant analysis, grantee interviews, surveys, and/or site visits to grantee programs.
• Evaluation and analysis of community-based programs, through interviews, focus groups, program observations, surveys, and/or analysis of administrative data.
• Participate in proposal writing and business development.
• Assist in facilitation of learning communities or meetings, based on evaluation findings and lessons learned.
• Contribute to writing and dissemination of case studies, learning papers, and reports.
• Write blogs, present findings at client briefings and/or conferences.
• Depending on level of experience, lead project tasks.
• Occasional travel to conduct site visits, attend client meetings, or conferences.
The Location: SPR is conveniently located right on top of the City Center BART station in downtown Oakland. The building plaza has great food options for lunch, and we are just a few blocks away from Chinatown restaurants. Our location in Oakland also allows us to be in close contact with many of the communities we support through our work.
Other Information: In this role, you can expect work in an office environment; occasional lifting up to 10 lbs; frequent telephone usage; standing/walking up to 50% of the time; sitting up to 80% of the time; use of office machines; heavy keyboarding. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. SPR offers excellent benefits, including health, dental, vision, and 401k plan.
How to Apply: Please apply through our website at https://www.spra.com/about-spr/careers/. Deadline for applications is January 10, 2020. Please note we will move forward with promising candidates before this date. No phone calls please.