Tipping Point Community
San Francisco, CA
Tipping Point’s mission is to break the cycle of poverty for people in the Bay Area who don’t have the resources to meet their basic needs. Since 2005, Tipping Point has invested nearly $350 million for housing, early childhood, education, and employment solutions in the region. Our board covers 100% of our operating costs, so every dollar donated goes where it’s needed most. Last year, 500,000 people in the Bay Area connected with our grantees. Visit www.tippingpoint.org to learn more.
Tipping Point’s core values are at the heart of everything we do and we look for individuals who share our commitments:
- We cultivate community because we know we are more powerful together.
- We practice gratitude.
- We hold ourselves accountable to achieving impact for and with the communities we serve.
- We relentlessly pursue equity because one’s background and identities should not predetermine one’s opportunities.
The Senior Development Associate is a fundraising professional skilled at donor relations and project management and passionate about changing the landscape of poverty in the Bay Area. As part of the Development team, the Senior Development Associate will manage donor relations for all development events, and will play a key role in supporting volunteer events and donor stewardship activities. The Senior Development Associate has good knowledge of fundraising best practices and thrives at building relationships and providing top-notch service to donors. They have a strong attention to detail and the ability to build and implement systems to ensure successful events and a seamless donor experience. They are the consummate team player and can work cross-functionally and collaboratively with professionals within Tipping Point and externally.
This position reports to the Development Director.
Coordinate with Development and External Affairs teams on the strategy, planning, and execution of all fundraising events and campaigns.
Organize and manage all development deliverables and timelines.
- Donor Events
- Manage guest relations and RSVPs for all donor-facing events; provide top-notch customer service in managing guest correspondence.
- Manage table fulfillment and seating for all seated events.
- Organize and lead check-in procedures onsite at donor events; train staff and volunteers as needed; help troubleshoot any guest issues that arise.
- Manage donation processes at events and ensure staff and volunteers follow all donation and cash handling protocols.
- Support event logistics related to donors and guest experience including coordinating welcome packets, thank you gifts, food and drink, and special requests.
- Maintain written guide to support donors/volunteers who wish to host events on behalf of Tipping Point.
- Utilize Salesforce to track all event invites, relationships, and responses in an accurate and timely manner.
- Volunteer Activities
- Organize volunteer opportunities for donors, donor families, and corporate employees, in partnership with relationship managers.
- Oversee and support Employee Giving Days at corporate partners, including managing third-party giving platforms and employee communications.
- Donor Stewardship
- Provide timely and thoughtful stewardship for unmanaged donors to Tipping Point, ensuring we show gratitude for donors of all levels.
- Support the Development team in any additional donor stewardship needs, including sending notes and gifts that provide a personal touch to our Board, Leadership Council, and donor community.
All other duties as assigned.
In addition to our core values, Tipping Point staff exhibit four core competencies: ability to be flexible in a constantly shifting environment, strong communication skills, ability to work well on a team, and ability to continuously problem solve in the face of challenges.
Additionally, the Senior Development Associate must have:
- Well-developed knowledge of non-profit/development operations.
- Track record of exceptional customer service with an ability to identify and deliver donor-centric solutions; can communicate strongly both written and orally to various audiences.
- Demonstrated track record of being able to organize and prioritize multiple tasks while remaining focused on accuracy and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated analytical skills and experience using spreadsheets to manage and report on data.
- Ability to build collaborative relationships with other staff and external parties (e.g. donors, partners, grantees and others).
- Demonstrated excellence in project planning with the ability to self-direct, anticipate roadblocks, meet deadlines, prioritize among competing goals and effectively pivot around shifting priorities.
- Ability to handle sensitive information with precision and in a confidential manner.
- Ability to occasionally lift heavy objects for events
- Available to work nights and weekends for events
- Ability to occasionally travel around Bay Area
- Nice to have: local knowledge of the Bay Area philanthropic community
- Nice to have: experience with donor databases and project management tools, ideally Salesforce and Asana.
*“Nice to have” really means just that; it’s entirely possible that you don’t have any of these and are still a great fit. It’s not expected that any single candidate would have expertise across all of these areas — we’re looking for candidates that are particularly strong in a few areas, and have some interest and capabilities in others.
Salary + classification
Tipping Point is committed to paying competitive wages. In an effort to increase equity, because we know that salary negotiations tend to have an unfair bias, we do not participate in a salary negotiation process for any candidate. We will make our best offer, and it will be the same regardless of the candidate. The annual starting salary for the Senior Development Associate role is $89,000. This is a non-exempt position as defined by state and federal law. Non-exempt employees paid on an hourly basis and are eligible for overtime pay.
Hybrid Work Environment
Tipping Point is committed to the safety of our staff and to facilitating connection and community with one another. While we were remote for a year, we are moving slowly into a hybrid work environment: each team has identified 1-2 in-person days to be present in the office. Additionally, all staff are required to be in office two Tuesdays a month for staff All-Hands and team activities. All other days staff may choose to work in the office or remotely. Please note that in a constantly changing environment, Tipping Point may adjust this arrangement as it sees the need to.
Tipping Point is committed to providing our staff with a safe work environment and helping to promote the health of our community. As such, Tipping Point will require all employees to confidentially show proof of COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment, unless they are unable to receive the vaccine because of a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief or practice. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and Title VII, and applicable state laws, Tipping Point is prepared to make reasonable accommodations for employees who (1) cannot take the vaccine due to a medical disability or (2) seek an exemption from the vaccine based on sincerely held religious beliefs.
How to Apply
Ready to change your life? Apply now!
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity company. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. Tipping Point will consider qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records for employment in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Tipping Point accepts applications on a rolling basis; if the position is still posted on our website, we are still accepting and giving equal consideration to applications.