Purpose Built Communities
Purpose Built Communities (Purpose Built) is a social impact focused consulting group that works to build resilient neighborhoods in America’s most vulnerable communities and end intergenerational poverty. Purpose Built’s theory of impact identifies neighborhoods as foundational units of change and recognizes that a long history of racist policies and practices from federal, state, and local governments, together with the actions of private individuals and businesses, have created the ever-widening gap now seen between disinvested neighborhoods and their wealthy counterparts. Leveraging its unique model for neighborhood revitalization, Purpose Built helps establish and nurture the success of nonprofit “community quarterback” organizations born of the communities that they are trying to change through long-term, cross-sectoral interventions.
Stepping into a newly created position, the Senior Vice President for Strategic Partnerships (SVP Strategic Partnerships) will lead the fundraising efforts for Purpose Built as a $10 million+ growing organization with a federated nonprofit member network. The SVP Strategic Partnerships will design and formalize processes and systems to advance the organization’s transition to a diversified funding model while nurturing the relationship with the board and three original funders. The SVP Strategic Partnerships will collaboratively develop the strategy and lead the implementation for a next-level development function that effectively connects Purpose Built’s work and Network Members to funders in both the place-based and the issue-based philanthropy world who support equity-centered, citizen-powered models for improving community outcomes through intersectional education, health, housing, and workforce strategies. Finally, the SVP for Strategic Partnerships will also be responsible for developing and managing strong relationships within the Purpose Built Network with the goal of collaboratively cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding funders.
Success in this role will require someone who is:
• A proven fundraiser, strategist, and systems builder who can design and lead a function that effectively connects Purpose Built and its Network Members’ work to a diverse and aligned array of funders who are invested in outcomes and impact.
• A flexible, emotionally intelligent, and collegial leader with the internal organizational design skills to support the long-term sustainability of a growing organization.
• A thoughtful, entrepreneurial, and strategic leader with the ability to identify opportunities for collaboration and cross-sectoral partnerships to both grow Purpose Built and advance the network.
• An exceptional relationship manager who can build rapport, trust, and transparency across a diverse and growing community of passionate, talented stakeholders, including staff, funders, and Network Members.
• A compelling communicator and storyteller who can aggregate and articulate the shared threads that bring the experiences of Purpose Built’s Network Members together.
A competitive salary and benefits commensurate with experience will be provided to the successful candidate.
While no one candidate will embody all the qualifications enumerated below, the ideal candidate will possess many of the following professional and personal abilities, attributes, and experiences:
Relationship Stewardship and Cultivation
• Demonstrated experience creating strong and sustainable relationships with a diverse array of stakeholders; adept at identifying and cultivating funders whose strategies align with their own and setting achievable expectations; experience with 501c3 fundraising a plus.
• Demonstrated success soliciting multi-year commitments from funders and stakeholders; strong networks in the field of place-based philanthropy.
• Positive established relationships within the philanthropic community and comfort establishing and stewarding relationships with high net worth individuals and national leaders in philanthropy.
• Strong convening and facilitation skills and an authentic interest in listening to and learning from others; ability to establish trust with a diverse set of stakeholders and a commitment to honoring and elevating community expertise and wisdom.
• Superb communication and external relations skills and demonstrated success in building an organization’s profile and reputation in local, regional, national, and professional communities.
• Ability to aggregate the interests of diverse partners and identify opportunities for collaboration and economies of scale.
Systems and Organization Management
• Demonstrated skill in organizational design and management; a willingness to rethink or improve upon established systems and processes.
• Experience designing and building fundraising systems and processes.
• Ability to assess and identify pain points in a growing organization and devise strategies to ensure that processes and systems are being developed in a consistent manner to guide growth.
• An inclusive, collaborative, and agile management style and the ability to bring joy, good humor, and purpose to the work environment.
Deep Personal Alignment with Purpose Built’s Mission to Advance Racial Equity and End Intergenerational Poverty
• Experience leading in a values-based work environment and commitment to centering equity in the development of systems, processes, and practices.
• Professional and/or lived experience that supports deep understanding of and insight into Purpose Built’s work.
• Demonstrated understanding of the role that systems supporting the social determinants of health play in advancing community well-being and how existing systems have failed to do so.
Strategic Vision and Core Knowledge
• Broad knowledge of the place-based philanthropy field and an understanding of the historical context, institutions, and systems that combine to create an ecosystem of disinvestment in America’s most vulnerable neighborhoods.
• Ability to utilize a macro view on relevant trends in place-based philanthropy and fundraising with strong curiosity and interest in tracking the needs and developing areas of the field.
• Demonstrated ability to align vision, strategy, and execution.
• Ability to think across systems and sectors to identify opportunities for collaboration and shared outcomes; experience in housing, education, public health, or economic development a plus.
• Demonstrated passion for and investment in advancing justice and equity. Highly developed critical consciousness and a combination of professional and lived experience aligned with Purpose Built’s mission and values.
How to Apply
More information about Purpose Built Communities may be found at: purposebuiltcommunities.org
This search is being led by Katherine Jacobs and Andres Marcuse-Gonzalez of NPAG. Due to the pace of this search, candidates are strongly encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Candidates may submit their cover letter, outlining their interest and qualifications, along with their resume via NPAG’s website.
Purpose Built Communities is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage applications from women, people of color, and bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical condition including acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions. Applicants with Disabilities: Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.