San Francisco Bay Area/Silicon Valley
The Heising-Simons Foundation is a family foundation based in Los Altos and San Francisco, California. The Foundation works with its many partners to advance sustainable solutions in climate and clean energy, enable groundbreaking research in science, enhance the education of our youngest learners, and support human rights for all people.
The Technology Associate is responsible for providing front-line technical support to the staff on a variety of hardware and software issues for our locations in Los Altos and San Francisco. As the principal support contact for technology issues, the Technology Associate has a broad range of office technology experience and can research and develop advice and solutions for end-users.
This full-time (37.5 hours per week), exempt (salaried) position reports to the Director of Technology. This position can be based in either our Los Altos or our San Francisco office. Due to the nature of physical device replacement and repairs, in-office attendance may be required on any day to accomplish some of the primary responsibilities. Attendance at both offices is typically required each week. Our on-site requirements may change in 2023.
This position is an opportunity to learn about the philanthropic sector, advanced endpoint management, and entity detection and response procedures to enhance security.
- Serve as the primary resource and principal contact for all end-user support, via telephone, email, Zoom, and in-person.
- Support end-users by identifying, diagnosing, and resolving problems with computer hardware, networks, printers/scanners, A/V equipment, telephones, and software applications.
- Support two central offices as well as staffs home offices. Support for home offices includes identifying, diagnosing, and resolving problems with home office equipment such as monitors, printers, docks and internet connections.
- Stay current with system information, changes, and updates and provide training and support to the staff in the use of office equipment and software.
- Work closely with technology contractors and their staff to assure high levels of customer service to all employees and visitors.
- Identify and escalate situations requiring urgent attention, track and route problems and requests, inform management of recurring problems, and provide updates, status, and completion information to manager and end-users.
- Maintain an up-to-date inventory of all computer software and hardware and recommend upgrades or replacements, as needed.
- Identify problems, evaluate trends, and anticipate organizational needs. Research and recommend new strategies or procedures to increase efficiency, enhance workflow, and improve end-user satisfaction.
- Maintain technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, and participating in professional associations.
- Protect data from outside infiltration through encryption, secure data storage, and other necessary means.
- Draft and maintain system documentation and training documents to assist staff with their use of the Foundation’s technology.
- Train staff on all systems, including Office 365, audio visual equipment, Zoom, and Box.
Provide onboarding and off-boarding support.
- Assist with some internal IT projects as assigned by the Director of Technology.
- Pitch-in across the Foundation, as important deadlines or events approach.
Participate in Foundation-wide committees, diversity, equity, and inclusion work, and internal culture-building.
- Participate in Foundation-wide training sessions.
- Help the Foundation promote and maintain environmentally friendly office practices.
- Build and maintain an understanding of the philanthropic sector as well as the structure and stakeholders unique to a family foundation.
Compensation and Benefits
The target starting salary for this position is $80,000-$96,000 per year, depending on location and experience.
We offer a comprehensive employee benefits package that includes employer-paid medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and dependents, long term disability, business travel and life insurance, flexible spending accounts for medical and child care expenses, a 401(k) plan (with a matching contribution of up to 16%), commuting assistance, an employee assistance program (EAP), mental health counseling, tuition reimbursement and a generous professional development budget, matching gifts, fitness reimbursements, fertility & adoption assistance, and identity theft protection. In addition, we allow flexible schedules and some telecommuting with the manager’s approval.
Paid time off includes:
Vacation: 3 weeks/year, with increases based on tenure
Sick/Wellness Days: 15 days/year
Personal Days: 2 days/year
Family Medical Leave: 10 days/year
Parental Leave: 6-16 weeks/year, depending on tenure
Holidays include: Martin Luther King, Jr. Day; President’s Day; Memorial Day; Juneteenth; Independence Day; Labor Day; Veterans Day; Thanksgiving Day (and the day after); Year-End Break (Christmas Eve through New Year’s Day)
- 2+ years of experience supporting computers, servers, printers, and scanners in a networked environment; experience in a small office setting is a plus.
- Experience with Office 365 and all Microsoft Office applications, knowledge of telephone systems, audio visual equipment, Zoom, Box, Salesforce, and Quip is a plus.
- Other desired knowledge includes MS Azure, Intune, CrowdStrike EDR or other endpoint security products.
- Microsoft (MTA, MCSA, or MCSE) or CompTIA (A+, Network+, Security+) certification is preferred.
- Able to organize, prioritize, multi-task, and follow through with assignments in a timely manner.
- Capacity for critical thinking and the ability to troubleshoot, test, and evaluate solutions.
- Ability to work effectively, both independently and as a member of a team.
- Able to anticipate needs, be flexible, proactive, and highly responsive, with a customer service orientation.
- Strong client-facing communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to provide clear instructions to employees at all skills levels.
- Able to build and maintain positive working relationships, maintaining composure and a sense of humor, under pressure.
How to Apply
The Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes a diverse pool of applicants. Foundation policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, military service, legally protected medical condition, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws. Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified applicants with disabilities may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
Our success is dependent on our ability to build teams that include people with different experiences and expertise and who can challenge each other’s assumptions with new viewpoints and bring different perspectives to the team. We encourage women, people of color, formerly incarcerated individuals, immigrants, LGBTQ+, people with disabilities, and others with diverse perspectives and experiences to apply.
To apply for this position, please upload your resume and a cover letter, here.