U.S. Remote consideration
The Skoll Foundation was created by Jeff Skoll in 1999 to pursue his vision of a more peaceful, prosperous, and sustainable world. The mission of the Skoll Foundation is to drive large-scale change by investing in, connecting and celebrating social entrepreneurs and the innovators who help them solve the world’s most pressing problems. By identifying the people and programs already enacting positive change throughout the world, the Foundation empowers them to extend their reach, deepen their impact that results in transformative social change in their communities and the world.
Department: Portfolio & Investments
Location: Palo Alto, CA | U.S. Remote consideration
Employment Status: Full-time, exempt, and short-term engagement (24 months)
This role reports to: Managing Director, Operations & Programs – Investments
The Analyst plays a key role in the Portfolio and Investment Team, working closely with Principals and other Analysts to scope, source, select and track the progress of Skoll investments. The Analyst also leads the design, development, and execution of programs owned by the Portfolio & Investments team, requiring collaboration both with the immediate team and across Foundation.
The Skoll Foundation seeks a team player who is curious about dynamics of organizational growth, scale and investment and possesses the ability to synthesize and communicate findings clearly in written, verbal, and visual formats. Candidates should have a balance of analytical rigor and compassion for the human condition to undertake the Foundation’s mission. Demonstrated experience in the evaluation of business models, financials, and data as well as strong investigative skills and a careful attention to detail are necessary in this role.
High potential candidates will have a pragmatic, flexible work style, with the willingness to jump from research to project management, from supporting a meeting to presenting key findings. The ideal candidate is a nimble generalist with the intellectual capacity and motivation to quickly grasp Skoll’s interconnected focus areas. The Analyst must be resourceful and hands-on, and driven to work in a lean, results-oriented environment with a high level of integrity, humility, and discretion. A collaborative nature, sound judgment, and a good sense of humor are also important characteristics to have.
Conducting Investment Analysis
- Apply an investment framework to scope, source, select and learn from Foundation’s investments.
- Contribute to investment pipeline by sourcing high-potential social impact organizations, tracking leads in Salesforce, and maintaining relationships with pipeline organizations
- Lead key aspects of due diligence, often working in partnership with others at the Foundation, on select grant or investment opportunities.
- Conduct in-depth research on investment opportunities, including desk research and interviews with externals stakeholders, and document findings.
- Communicate balanced analysis to variety of stakeholders and present recommendations to internal stakeholders for final consideration.
- In Partnership with senior team members, manage relationships with partner organizations (grantee/investees), often liaising with internal stakeholders to connect grantees to others in the Skoll network and champion their impact externally.
- Contribute to team’s process for monitoring progress and impact of active investments.
Providing Flexible Program Management
- Design, build, and manage workflow of Portfolio & Investments team program areas, including processes for how we source, select, and learn from our investments in different program areas.
- Ability to manipulate large data sets and distill key takeaways on program performance and can also help drive decision making based on findings.
- Ability to manage complex, long-term projects and transparently track progress against key milestones, with the agility to shift milestones as needed.
- Maintain team norms and processes for using in-house knowledge management tools like Salesforce, Microsoft 360, and Asana.
The Skoll Foundation is committed to providing a competitive total rewards (compensation + benefits) package within the philanthropic sector. The salary range for this role is $101,000.00. Offers are based on the candidate’s years of experience and providing internal equity.
The Foundation requires all staff, vendors, and visitors be fully vaccinated against SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19 and test regularly when accessing the office.
- Candidates should have a minimum of 5 years of work experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills are imperative.
- Demonstrated experience researching, collecting, and analyzing information across multiple sectors and industries is a plus.
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
- Must be able to quickly learn and consistently utilize software tools like Salesforce, Asana, and Microsoft 365, especially Excel and PowerPoint skills.
- Must be available for domestic and international travel.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At Skoll, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
How to Apply
Click the “Apply” button to submit your resume and cover letter. In your cover letter indicate your passion for the mission and your fit for the role. We will contact qualified applicants.
The Skoll Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace and encourage our employees’ differences in age, color, disability, ethnicity, family or marital status, gender identity or expression, language, national origin, physical and mental ability, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, veteran status, and other characteristics that make our employees unique. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to reasonable accommodation under the ADA and related state laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in how things are normally done, ensuring an equal employment opportunity without imposing undue hardship on the company. Please contact if you need assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.