Founded in 1998, our chapter reflects the local Asian American/Pacific Islander community. Our members represent a variety of histories and ethnicities, most notably Hmong and Southeast Asian refugees and Korean adoptees. The region’s philanthropic sector is robust with high concentrations of family foundations, corporate foundations, and community and public foundations. Recently we’ve experienced dramatic generational shifts as many seasoned members have retired or left the field. In addition to ensuring active participation in the chapter, we create chapter activities to highlight timely issues and needs of the growing AAPI population in Minnesota. We welcome your energy and participation!
Minnesota Chapter Goals:
- Increase funder education and knowledge on timely issues affecting the AAPI community.
- Work across issue areas and identities with other local affinity groups to inform philanthropic practices.
- Build and deepen connections with local AAPI nonprofits and community groups.
- Provide opportunities for community building, networking and leadership development.
- Support the growth of community philanthropy.
2021-2022 Chapter Co-Chairs
- Amal Karim, Impact Officer, Constellation Fund
- Joshua Vang, Membership Services Manager, Minnesota Council on Foundations
- Tenzin Nordon, Program Associate, GHR Foundation
- Tiffany Xiong, Engagement Manager, Constellation Fund
Our Institutional Members:
- Bush Foundation
- The McKnight Foundation
- The Minneapolis-Saint Paul Foundation
- Northwest Area Foundation
Coalition of Asian American Leaders (CAAL): CAAL envisions a State where all Minnesotans, regardless of background, are actively engaged and can achieve prosperity. Towards this vision, we built a network of almost 500 leaders whose mission is to harness our power to advance equity by connecting, learning, and acting together to improve lives. We believe our democracy thrives when all communities are visible, included, and fully engaged in key systemic decisions that impact their lives. We embrace our diversity and believe we can work together, moving beyond ethnic, generational, and sector silos, to build a more prosperous future.