The Boston Foundation
The Boston Foundation believes that one of the great strengths of the Greater Boston community is the rich diversity of its residents in race, religion, national origin, ethnicity, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, age and physical abilities. The Foundation seeks to enhance and support that diversity, not only by its grant making, but also by adopting and implementing employment policies and practices designed to recognize and respond to such diversity.
Title: Chief of Staff/Special Assistant to the Executive Director, Embrace Boston
Department: Philanthropy Group, Embrace Boston
Reports To: Executive Director, Embrace Boston
FLSA Classification: Exempt FTE: 1
Hybrid Schedule (subject to change): On-site Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday. Remote options on Monday and Friday. Five days a week as needed.
Position Budgeted: $100,000 to $110,000
The Chief of Staff will handle complex situations and multiple responsibilities simultaneously, mixing long-term projects with the urgency of immediate demands. They must deal with highly confidential information and act as a liaison between the Executive Director and Embrace Boston staff and stakeholders. Reporting to the Executive Director and regularly partnering closely with other Embrace Boston senior staff, the Chief of Staff will serve as an agent, ambassador and, where appropriate, a proxy for the Executive Director of Embrace Boston and a multiplier of their time and effectiveness.
● Serve as an agent, ambassador and, where appropriate, a proxy for the Executive Director, acting as a multiplier of the Executive Director’s time and effectiveness.
● In partnership with the Embrace Boston Senior Management Team;
● Cultivate, steward, and engage communities, nonprofits, government officials to advance Embrace Boston’s effectiveness and impact; lead wide range of substantive projects on behalf of the Executive Director and the Office of the Executive Director, Embrace Boston;
● As a member of the Office of the Executive Director, Embrace Boston, supports Enterprise Risk Management, Succession Planning and other efforts within Embrace Boston that strengthen organizational effectiveness and capacity;
● Provides strategic thought partnership to the Executive Director, Embrace Boston;
● Lead unplanned rapid response efforts on behalf of the Executive Director, Embrace Boston, when necessary, appointing subject matter experts to assist;
● Accountability for timely completion of responsibilities of self and ability to influence others;
● Work with the Deputy Director, Development to develop briefs and writing assignments for the Executive Director, Embrace Boston; and
● Work in public affairs or research as needed.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
• Individuals assigned to this position may perform other duties as assigned.
Preparation, Knowledge, Previous Experience:
• 7 to 10 years related experience.
Skills, Abilities, Competencies:
● Strong influencing and interpersonal skills;
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
● Experience in working with and presenting to Boards of Directors and external stakeholders;
● A seasoned, energetic and flexible individual with professional experience, and aptitude;
● Ability to maintain confidentiality/discretion at all times;
● Ability to successfully manage multiple concurrent tasks professionally in a fast-paced environment with frequent interruptions;
● Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, including proven proficiency using Excel and PowerPoint;
● Ability to solve problems independently with limited direction from supervisor;
● Mature, interpersonal manner with ability to interact calmly with a diverse group of people;
● A collaborative and supportive team player;
● Demonstrated ability to motivate peers and enhance overall team effectiveness and collaboration in a positive and productive manner;
● Demonstrated ability to present clearly and effectively;
● A “can do” attitude and participative work style; and
● A goal-oriented person who can plan for the long-term and execute stated objectives.
Working Conditions & Physical Demands:
● Ability to work at workstation for long periods of time;
● Ability to use a keyboard for extended periods of time;
● Ability to lift and carry up to 10 pounds, occasionally;
● Ability to work remotely and on-site as required; and
● Willingness and ability to work outside the regularly scheduled workday as needed.
The content is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by persons assigned to this job. It is not intended to constitute an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.
External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents, who are or become disabled as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act or applicable state law, must be able to perform the essential functions of the job (including those listed above) either with or without reasonable accommodation. Reasonable accommodation, if any, will be determined by management in consultation with the employee on a case-by-case basis.
This job description is intended to be general and may be revised from time to time. At management’s discretion, the employee may be assigned different or additional duties from time to time.
How to Apply
All applications should be submitted online. Go online and select “Chief of Staff/Special Assistant to the Executive Director, Embrace Boston” to complete our online application process.