The Boston Foundation
The Boston Foundation believes that one of the great strengths of the Greater Boston community is the rich diversity of its residents in race, religion, national origin, ethnicity, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, age and physical abilities. The Foundation seeks to enhance and support that diversity, not only by its grant making, but also by adopting and implementing employment policies and practices designed to recognize and respond to such diversity.
Title: Communications and Outreach Manager, Racial Wealth Gap Research Initiative
Department: Boston Indicators
Reports To: Executive Director, Boston Indicators
FLSA Classification: Exempt FTE: 1
Hybrid Schedule (subject to change): Primarily remote, with periodic (1-2x/month) in-person meetings required.
This full-time position is an exciting opportunity to manage communications and outreach efforts related to Boston Indicators’ new Racial Wealth Gap and Economic Security Research Initiative. This is an ambitious new project that will connect with a range of local researchers and community-based partners to support efforts around asset building and reducing racial wealth gaps. The initiative contains two primary lanes of work: 1) creating an online resource center that includes curated links to the best existing research on the racial wealth gap and, 2) producing a series of new research papers on promising state and local policy levers for closing the racial wealth gap and expanding economic opportunity.
This position is grant funded for 3 years, with the possibility of an extension.
• Author research summaries, email newsletters, and other media to present the work of Boston Indicators in an engaging manner;
• Plan, lead and organize events associated with research released through the Research Initiative, often in close partnership with the Events team at TBF;
• Manage external visibility for the Racial Wealth Gap Research Initiative on social media platforms and with traditional media partners;
• Manage and lead content creation for Boston Indicators’ social media accounts;
• Help manage external research partners in coordination with the rest of the Boston Indicators team;
• Work closely with the Communications and Public Affairs Department and the Office of the President at TBF to support communications and outreach efforts related to TBF’s Partnership to Close the Racial Wealth Gap;
• Contribute to the maintenance of Boston Indicators’ website and the forthcoming website resource center associated with the Research Initiative; and
• Develop and steward external relationships, helping expand the reach and depth of connections with key partners and stakeholders.
Other Duties and Responsibilities: Individuals assigned to this position may perform other duties as assigned.
Preparation, Knowledge, Previous Experience:
• Ability to communicate clearly and with diverse communities;
• Personal and/or professional experience with racial justice work; and
• 2-3 years relevant professional experience in non-profit, educational or broadcast communications journalism; web content development; or related field.
Skills, Abilities, Competencies:
• Ability to produce engaging short-form content for multiple platforms;
• Strong written and oral communication skills;
• Familiarity with economic policy and an understanding of the drivers of racial wealth divides;
• Ability to give and receive criticism constructively and work to and meet tight deadlines under pressure;
• Flexible, collegial and supportive toward constituents and colleagues;
• Comfort and flexibility working across a wide range of issue areas; and
• Ability to speak or write fluently in languages other than English a plus.
Working Conditions & Physical Demands:
• The ability to sit or stand at workstation for long periods of time;
• Ability to use a computer monitor and keyboard for long periods of time; and
• Ability to work remotely and occasionally come on-site, as required.
How to Apply
The Boston Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We encourage applications from people with diverse backgrounds and experience.
All applications should be submitted online. Go to our website and select “Communications & Outreach Manager, Racial Wealth Gap Research Initiative, Boston Indicators” to complete our online application process.