Sacramento Region Community Foundation
Make a difference in our community – now and always.
The Sacramento Region Community Foundation is dedicated to connecting people who care with causes that matter. As the capital region’s primary provider of philanthropic services, we help people give back and achieve their philanthropic goals effectively, confidently, and with the support of an expert team connected to the pulse of our community.
The Foundation houses 700 charitable funds for people, families, and businesses, the majority of which are endowed to ensure they provide support for important causes in perpetuity. We have been the region’s trusted steward of philanthropic funds since 1983, and today manage $200 million in assets. Together with our fundholders, we are one of the largest local grantmakers in the region: Over the past 40 years, we have awarded more than $200 million to support important causes, most of which have made a positive difference directly in El Dorado, Placer, Sacramento, and Yolo counties.
In addition to managing their charitable funds, we work in partnership with our fundholders and other local leaders to transform the capital area through strategic grantmaking and impact initiatives that foster a more vibrant and equitable community for all — including our most visible program, Big Day of Giving. To learn more about our philanthropic services and community initiatives, please visit our website at www.sacregcf.org.
Our vision is a thriving and resilient region where generosity and collaboration create equitable opportunity, and our mission is to lead, serve, and inspire enduring philanthropy for a just and vibrant Sacramento region.
The Sacramento Region Community Foundation is seeking a highly skilled accounting professional with a passion for our mission to join our team as Controller. The Controller will report directly to the Chief Financial Officer and will provide excellent financial and administrative support to the Foundation.
– This is a full-time, exempt, salaried position.
– We have a 9/80 work schedule, with every other Friday off.
– Flex-time for working days.
– Hybrid work schedule with 2-3 days a week in the office.
Our compensation and benefits show how much we value our team:
– Pay Range: $110,000 to $130,000 depending on experience
– Medical/Dental/Vision Insurance
– 401K program with generous Foundation contribution
– Generous vacation and holiday policy
– Fun mixers and team-building events
– Oversee all day-to-day accounting functions, including accounts payable, accounts receivable & pledges, grants processing (financial portion), cash (call) transfers, inter-fund transfers, general ledger, fund accounting, gifts, fixed assets, bank, and other reconciliations.
– Verify and approve all funds’ available to spend for weekly grants and scholarships.
– Supervise, develop, and mentor Senior Accountant and Accountant.
– Review and approve staff’s work product.
– Supervise the preparation and review annual 1099’s and DE542 Independent Contractor reports.
– Maintain petty cash balances and process daily petty cash activity including counting, coding, reconciliation and replenishment.
General Ledger and Reporting
– Identify and implement appropriate internal controls. Review and monitor adherence and examine any changes/exceptions.
– Maintain and update changes to the finance manual.
– Plan and coordinate month-end and year-end closes.
– Supervise preparation of quarterly fund statements.
– Problem-solve complex and accounting issues related to new gifts, grants, transactions, and fund discrepancies.
– Prepare various higher-level and/or confidential journal entries including payroll, adjusted value land fees, administrative, CRT and investment accounting fees, and miscellaneous entries.
– Analyze and reconcile general ledger activity to ensure accurate reporting.
– Complete annual renewal for workers’ compensation insurance.
– Prepare work papers for the audit of workers’ compensation premiums by the carrier.
Human Resources, Benefits, and Payroll
– Maintain online ADP payroll records and software database.
– Process changes to semi-monthly payroll including wage, benefit, tax withholding, and direct deposit, and timesheet changes. Ensure all changes are appropriately documented.
– Manage and ensure that new staff are provided payroll and benefits information and forms. Process all changes to ensure that staff are appropriately enrolled in payroll and the Foundation’s benefit programs.
– Assist staff with benefits issues.
– Track and reconcile section 125 Plan withholdings and reimbursements with payroll and the general ledger.
– As appropriate, liaison with the investment managers regarding financial questions or simple changes.
– Maintain current knowledge of investments framework and the financial markets.
– Attend and participate in the investment committee.
– Coordinate, prepare, and liaison with the external financial auditors.
– Maintain current knowledge of accounting rules and pronouncements.
– Assist in preparing the RFP for new auditors, the evaluation of the submissions, and the recommendation of the finalist.
– Attend and participate in the audit committee.
– Prepare the Foundation’s tax returns (both Federal and State)
– Coordinate and liaison with the external tax department to complete the review of the tax returns.
– Complete all required state regulatory filings and returns including property tax (571-L) and BOE use tax.
– Maintain current knowledge of IRS and state tax rules as it relates to community foundations.
– Ensure compliance with state, federal, and accounting and legal standards for community foundations.
– Complete all required State and Federal filings including Statement of Information, Federal Census Survey for the Foundation, and the various Foundation Holdings entities.
– Act as a sounding board to the CFO for complex gifts, grants, and transactions with regard to risks, legal issues, and concerns.
Accounting and Operational Efficiencies
– Proactively research new technologies to streamline processes and provide enhanced capabilities and services to fundholders and the community. Make recommendations to the CFO.
– As appropriate, evaluate vendor services and pricing to obtain efficiencies in pricing and/or value in services.
– Maintain current knowledge of community foundation operational issues and innovations.
– Attend and participate in the finance committee.
– Assist donors and fundholders with financial inquiries as appropriate.
– Provide support to the CFO as needed.
– Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or equivalent
– MBA and/or CPA preferred
– Nonprofit experience preferred and/or interest in working in the nonprofit field
– Fund accounting is a plus
– Familiarity with C-Suite and Clearwater Analytics software platforms is a plus
– Ability to work in a changing environment
– Detail oriented
– Willingness to learn and grow in responsibility
– Demonstrated administrative efficiency and effectiveness
– Strong computer skills—spreadsheet, word processing, database
– Strong written and oral communication skills
– Ability to work under tight deadlines
The Sacramento Region Community Foundation is committed to equal-employment principles, and we recognize the value of committed employees who feel they are being treated in an equitable and professional manner. We strive to find ways to attract, develop, and retain the talent needed to meet business objectives and to recruit and employ highly qualified individuals representing the diverse communities in which we live.
No phone calls or recruiters, please.
How to Apply
Please visit our website and submit the application for the Controller position.