The Boston Foundation
The Boston Foundation believes that one of the great strengths of the Greater Boston community is the rich diversity of its residents in race, religion, national origin, ethnicity, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, age and physical abilities. The Foundation seeks to enhance and support that diversity, not only by its grant making, but also by adopting and implementing employment policies and practices designed to recognize and respond to such diversity.
The Boston Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We encourage applications from people with diverse backgrounds and experience.
Title: Development Associate
Department: Development, Philanthropy Group
Reports To: Assistant Director of Philanthropy (Leadership Giving)
FLSA Classification: Exempt FTE: 1
Hybrid Schedule (subject to change): On-site Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Remote on Monday and Friday. Schedule is dependent on business needs.
The Development Associate supports strategic fundraising efforts to grow priority Campaign initiatives as well as annual giving to the Annual Campaign for Civic Leadership. Candidate should be interested in developing a career in fundraising and development work. This job has a focus on Development Operations.
• Supports the Development team in achieving fundraising goals for priority initiatives, annual giving and special funding opportunities;
• Drafts general correspondence, acknowledgment letters, written communications and prepares PowerPoint and materials for presentations;
• Works collaboratively with colleagues to implement and uphold data integrity protocols including data management, donor and prospect records and reports, timely entry in Salesforce database, and quarterly financial reports;
• Conducts donor research, prepares profiles and executive briefings;
• Generates reports from Salesforce database, and analyzes data related to donor and prospect activities, gifts, and grants;
• Provides technical and logistical support for donor events including, but not limited to, managing timelines, activities, deadlines, tracking and coordination of guest lists, catering, invitation mailings and follow up correspondence, completing research briefings;
• Staffs occasional events in the mornings (prior to 9:00am) and evenings (after 5:00pm);
• Fields inquiries from prospects/donors via telephone, correspondence and email;
• Assists with calendars, schedules, and appointment management;
• Provides administrative support as needed on calendar scheduling, agendas and notes;
• Processes and submits expense reports and invoices as needed; and
• Provides general administrative support to other department team members as requested.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
• Individuals assigned to this position may perform other duties as assigned.
Preparation, Knowledge, Previous Experience:
• College degree or equivalent experience; and
• At least 2 years of work experience, including familiarity in fundraising, data integrity and analysis.
Skills, Abilities, Competencies:
• Strong organizational skills and impeccable attention to detail and accuracy;
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
• Strong customer service orientation;
• Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office products – especially Word, Excel, Outlook and Power Point;
• Database experience (Salesforce) strongly preferred;
• Familiarity and comfort working with social media outlets;
• Excellent data management and reporting skills;
• Professional and mature interpersonal work style, ability to interact well with a diverse range of people;
• Ability to adjust work activity to various management styles;
• Ability to make decisions regarding organizing own workload and managing multiple tasks;
• Must be independent, proactive and able to work under the pressure of tight deadlines;
• Participatory work style and a team player;
• Sense of humor;
• Ability to give and receive feedback;
• Strong goal orientation with flexibility to adapt to changing priorities; and
• Willingness and ability to handle confidential information.
Working Conditions & Physical Demands:
• Ability to sit for long periods of time;
• Ability to use a keyboard for extended periods of time; and
• Able and available to work both on-site and remotely.
The content is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by persons assigned to this job. It is not intended to constitute an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.
External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents, who are or become disabled as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act or applicable state law, must be able to perform the essential functions of the job (including those listed above) either with or without reasonable accommodation. Reasonable accommodation, if any, will be determined by management in consultation with the employee on a case-by-case basis.
This job description is intended to be general and may be revised from time to time. At management’s discretion, the employee may be assigned different or additional duties from time to time.
How to Apply
All applications should be submitted online. Go online and select “Development Associate” to complete our online application process.