The David and Lucile Packard Foundation
We work with people and communities to create enduring solutions for just societies and a healthy, resilient natural world. Over our nearly 60-year history, we have worked with thousands of organizations and leaders in the U.S. and worldwide to advance progress in the critical areas of science, ocean and land conservation, climate change, women’s reproductive health and rights, and the well-being of children, families, and communities. At a time of multiple, intertwined crises globally and here in the U.S., the Packard Foundation began in 2021 a long-planned review of our grantmaking strategies. The first step of our process was to rearticulate our vision and mission, reexamine our organizational values, and create a strategic framework that builds on and honors the Packard Foundation’s past while advancing justice and equity in all that we do.
OUR VISION: A just and equitable world where both people and nature flourish.
Our new vision embraces a future where both people and nature flourish in a more just and equitable world. We explicitly acknowledge that the fate of people and the natural environment are inextricably linked. Solutions to the complex challenges we face must account for this interconnectedness.
OUR MISSION: We work with people and communities to create enduring solutions for just societies and a healthy, resilient natural world.
Our new mission takes on the critical work of addressing root causes of the challenges we face and mobilizing people for collective action. In addition to building on approaches that have guided our philanthropy for decades — working in partnership, committing to issues over the long-term, and grounding our work in science, knowledge, and data – we focus on understanding the systems that either accelerate or impede progress. It is only through just and equitable systems that we can find and sustain solutions to some of the biggest challenges we face today.
OUR VALUES: Equity, Integrity, Belief in Individual Leadership, Thinking Big, Respect, and Effectiveness.
In addition to clarifying our long-held values, we added equity. We will champion equity by treating people with dignity, honoring a range of ideas and perspectives from those closest to the issues, creating inclusive processes, and funding people who have been historically excluded to spur progress for all. For more information, including our definitions of key concepts, please visit our website.
The Human Resources team is focused on attracting, retaining, and developing exceptional people. The team designs, implements and facilitates HR programs around Recruitment, Learning & Development, Employee Engagement, Compensation and Benefits, and HR Processes & Policies. The Human Resources team partners with the foundation to support key organizational initiatives. The team is also responsible for finding and hiring the best talent for the foundation and partnering with our leaders on their people strategies.
The Human Resources Associate will provide administrative support and will assist the Human Resources team in the efficient operation and maintenance of Human Resources system data, creating and running reports, supporting payroll, supporting recruiting activities and will contribute to and/or lead other ad hoc projects as assigned. This position will provide support to maintain the HR General Mailbox, schedule meetings, coordinate, and maintain the department calendar. They may also support certain Foundation-wide events. The incumbent will report to and partner closely with the Chief of People to process expenses, coordinate logistics for events and projects, file and maintain the organization of employee records, establish vendor relationships and manage agreement timelines, track deadlines and budgets.
This is an exciting role for an organized, collaborative, efficient, and detail-oriented professional to serve as a resourceful support to the Human Resources team. The Human Resources Associate must be comfortable with numbers. They will own or back-up processes while providing enhancements, improvements, and maintain documentation. They will work to support continuous improvement and alignment with the Foundation’s core values. This position maintains appropriate levels of confidentiality and ensures functions are completed accurately and in a timely manner while representing the Human Resources team and the Foundation in a positive way in all interactions.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Maintain current HR resources on Foundation Intranet in SharePoint; post HR announcements to Intranet
• Enter vendor information for payment processing
• Code and process invoices for payment
• Generate, review, process, and execute Foundation and Human Resources contracts
• Track and reconcile expenses with the monthly budget report
• Create and run regular and customized reports such as the organization chart; post materials as directed; run and distribute month-end reports
• Order supplies and materials
• Coordinate logistics for lunches, retreats, offsites, and new employee orientations
• Proofread and edit documents, as requested
• Track and follow up on forms and required information
• Assist with detailed data audits
• Back up or own other processes as requested (e.g., Educational Assistance Program, Buddy Program, Professional Development)
• File and maintain records in an organized and efficient manner
• Support additional HR or Foundation projects as requested
• Serve as payroll assistant; assist with the biweekly time and attendance process; send reminders to employees and managers, and review timecards utilizing knowledge of State and Federal wage and hour laws; assist with employment verifications
• Serve as back up to payroll manager as needed; complete a payroll cycle, enter data into ADP (e.g., I9 Verifications, employee changes, gross ups) and process terminations
• Support new employee orientation, train staff on the time and attendance process and system
• Post jobs and research applicable sites
• Oversee employment background checks and administer process
• Track and manage COVID-19 vaccination ascertainments
• Order and assemble new employee onboarding gift sets/packages
• Track and manage onboarding and offboarding of temporary staff
• Maintain relationships with all temporary agencies contracted
• Three or more years of related HR experience or equivalent combination of education and experience is required; Bachelor’s degree is preferred
• Strong quantitative and Microsoft Excel skills are required
• Experience with ADP systems and payroll are strongly preferred
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Advanced skill with MS Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint, and desire to learn other systems and software as needed; Advanced skill with Google Suite is a plus
• Detail oriented with the ability to handle confidential and highly sensitive information while maintaining discretion in what is seen or communicated to others
• Maintain a high degree of accuracy in accomplishing multiple tasks well within deadlines
• Ability to balance workload while mindful of priorities, ensure prompt communication, follow up, and reliably follow through to completion
• Demonstrated skills in working well and flexibly as a team member in varied activities and projects
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Flexible and able to accept feedback and direction with ease
• Demonstrated ability to anticipate information needed as work develops and progresses
• Ability to manage time efficiently to meet, competing deadlines, multiple requests and commitments to HR team and employees
• Comfortable expressing opinions and remaining calm and constructive under pressure
• Ability to build relationships seamlessly with other departments and internally; work well with others in a courteous, culturally sensitive, and tactful manner
• Consistent, dependable, reliable, and willing to work occasional overtime as needed
• Exercises judgment within defined practices and policies to determine appropriate action and seeks assistance when needed
• Ability to effectively navigate regular interruptions that may compete with the need for concentration on some tasks
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The position is full-time. The salary range for this position starts at $85,000 per year. Offers are based on the candidate’s years of experience and our practice of upholding salary equity within the foundation.
The David and Lucile Packard Foundation offers excellent benefits for eligible employees. Current benefits include medical (HMO and HDHPs), dental and vision coverage; 15% employer contribution to employee retirement plan; life insurance, disability insurance, vacation, and sick leave; an adoption benefit; fertility benefit; a financial wellness program; health advocacy services, paid time off to volunteer for nonprofit organizations; matching grants for employee contributions to tax exempt organizations; commute assistance; and tuition assistance.
HYBRID WORK POLICY
The Packard Foundation’s current Hybrid Work Policy is that staff are expected to be in the office on Tuesdays and Wednesdays each week.
The David and Lucile Packard Foundation requires that all staff be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, except as required by law. Any employment offer will be contingent upon satisfactory proof that you are fully vaccinated from COVID-19, subject to reasonable accommodations for medical or religious reasons, and/or as otherwise required by applicable law.
How to Apply
Please submit your application through our website.