4Culture is an independent public agency, chartered under Washington state law and King County ordinance in January 2003, after 35 years as the King County Office of Cultural Resources. The ideal candidate for this position champions public support for arts and culture and has demonstrated commitment to, and experience advancing racial equity and social justice. As the cultural funding and services agency for King County, Washington, 4Culture works to make the region vibrant. The organization’s four program areas—Arts, Heritage, Historic Preservation, and Public Art—put public resources to use all over King County.
Guided by a vision of a King County in which every person has what they need to explore and create culture, we’re working to become an actively anti-racist organization. We know that this work is urgent and ongoing; as a public agency, we’re committed to being transparent about our successes and failures. 4Culture is part of the system of white supremacy that has historically disadvantaged Black, Indigenous, and other People of Color. We are working to understand systems of structural racism, dismantle them with the tools available to us, and build up something equitable that supports and recognizes the value in cultural expression of all of people, especially those in King County.
ABOUT THE ROLE
4Culture is seeking qualified candidates (individuals, consultants, consultant groups, or qualified professional employer organizations) for the position of Human Resources Manager. As a member of the 4Culture management team and under the direction of the Executive Director, the HR Manager will be responsible for the administration and management of all HR activities for the organization. The HR Manager performs strategic, technical, and administrative duties as a department of one for an organization of thirty leaders and staff, ensuring the effective operation of the Human Resources department.
The HR Manager will coordinate with the Executive Director and staff members, providing both support and strategy. This role is responsible for the day-to-day HR operations and the delivery of HR services to the organization.
Provide effective HR services.
- Help determine staffing needs to ensure that departments are appropriately resourced.
- Assist with hiring, including recruitment, job description development, position advertisement support and interviewing support. Advance efficient and inclusive recruitment and selection processes. Help build external and internal communities of candidates and implement succession planning.
- Onboarding new employees, including attendance, payroll, retirement benefits, other benefit systems, and serving as the point of contact for employee benefits.
- Consult with organizational leadership regarding employee and labor relations, including workplace conflict resolution (including training) and assistance with HR compliance, worker’s compensation issues, and potential legal issues. Receive, assess, and facilitate employee complaints and concerns.
- Apply systems thinking to evaluate, recommend, and develop program, process, or policy changes.
Support employee success.
- Guide and support professional development by way of catalytic coaching as appropriate for a variety of staff positions.
- Provide guidance and coaching to managers with the goal of successful work performance and commitment.
- Optimize staff’s current abilities, expertise, and skills.
- Create a culture of listening and collaboration.
- Serve as a champion, advocate, and mentor to employees.
Motivated to advance racial equity and social justice, working towards ending systemic and institutional racism.
- Help build a culture of inclusiveness and engagement that aligns with organizational strategy.
- Lead initiatives that support 4Culture’s commitment to encouraging employee work-life balance by connecting people to resources that promote an engaged, committed, and supported workplace.
- Partner with the Senior Leadership Team and the Racial Equity Team as needed to promote conversations on the impact of race, gender, ethnicity and social justice issues on 4Culture work, employees, and the broader community.
- Challenge leadership to examine policy impacts on people of color, women, members of the LGBTQ+ population, and other marginalized communities.
Serve as a strategic HR consultant.
- Provide advice and expertise for 4Culture’s strategic planning and policy development.
- Create an overall HR strategy and build the structure to enable implementation.
- Develop the annual Human Resources workplan.
Cultivate strong relationships.
- Facilitate partnerships and authentic relationships that inspire trust and confidence.
- Practice a high level of tact, discretion, and diplomacy to manage complex agency and community relationships.
- Partner with executive team and department leaders, and participate in agency committees on HR related matters.
4Culture leadership has the right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time to ensure the success of the organization.
• Position works a 20-22.5 hour work week, Monday-Friday.
• This position will primarily be onsite 4Culture at 101 Prefontaine Pl S, Seattle, WA. Seattle. This position is hybrid (2 days in the office/1 days remote).
• Occasional early morning, evening and/or weekend hours are required.
• Alternative work arrangements may be considered and will be based on operational needs.
• Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
The pay range for this position is between $45,513 to $60,000. Salary will be negotiated and based on the selected candidate and their experience and includes a competitive package of benefits. It is classified as Regular, Part Time, non-exempt.
BENEFITS OF WORKING AT 4CULTURE
Working at 4Culture provides the chance to support and learn from the cultural community that makes King County a vibrant region to live in. Our mission affirms a deep commitment to racial equity as we work with our community to end institutional and structural racism. We work toward this goal, while supporting the physical and mental health of all 4Culture employees. Maintaining an appropriate work life balance is essential to our work, and 4Culture prioritizes staff wellness and the continual evolution of a healthy organizational culture.
The perks of working at 4Culture include:
• 12 days of vacation in the first five years of employment
• 12 days of paid Holiday (including Juneteenth and Indigenous Peoples’ Day)
• Sick leave and 12 weeks of paid Family and Medical Leave after working over 1 year at 4Culture; access to a lactation room
• Orca transit card
• Attractive comprehensive health insurance package consisting of medical, dental, vision, and basic life and long-term disability insurance for employees
You will be most successful in this position if:
• You have experience with a full range of Human Resources operations, including recruitment, hiring, onboarding, workplace conflict resolution, and supporting employee success.
• You are motivated to advance racial equity and social justice, and understand how human resource practices can be used to combat systemic racism.
Additionally, you will be prepared to take on this role if you have following experience, abilities, commitments, and skills.
• Advancing racial equity and social justice in your work.
• Employee success.
• Leading as an agent of change who identifies opportunities and champions solutions.
• Full-cycle HR operations to align, support, and incorporate organizational vision in HR strategy.
• Forecasting, human resource evaluation, organizational design and development.
• Moving from strategy to tactics, and effectively creating and executing an implementation plan.
• Relationship building to quickly establish strong, trusted partnerships within and outside an organization.
• Excellent collaboration skills and the ability to work across the organization.
• Strong written and oral communication skills, including group facilitation skills.
Have the ability to:
• Look ahead and envision possibilities.
• Use emotional intelligence to engage in courageous conversations with individuals at all levels of the organization, especially executive leadership, to respectfully challenge ideas, systems and processes.
• Proactively anticipate needs and assess, design, and optimize processes to minimize complexity, and optimize resources.
We are looking for candidates that can demonstrate they have the skills listed above through a combination of their work, education, and life experience as demonstrated in their resume, and cover letter.
• Experience: Six (6) years of HR experience, demonstrating experience in managing HR operations, or as an HR partner, delivering a wide variety of HR services in a creative, governmental, or medium/small private company or non-profit organization.
• Education: The equivalent of a baccalaureate degree in human resources management, business, industrial-organizational psychology, or a related field through a combination of certification, coursework, and experience.
• Experience with HR operations, including benefits and leave administration.
• Proficient in MS Office 365 including Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint, Outlook, Word, Teams, and WebEx.
How to Apply
Please contact Erica Maniez at if you have any difficulty with this process.
The privacy of applicants will be respected and preserved until the last phase of the hiring process. For example, references will be checked during the process of interviewing the finalists and with the applicant’s knowledge.
No Discrimination in Hiring
4Culture is committed to upholding and promoting equal opportunity in employment. We recognize that diverse perspectives, ideas, cultures, and life experiences of all employees are critical to our success. We are committed to fostering an inclusive workplace that reflects our residents, meets the needs of the communities we serve, and leverages the power of our employee’s individual uniqueness. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to creed, age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, the presence of any sensory, mental or physical handicap, honorably discharged veteran or military status, or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal by a person with a disability unless such limitations are necessary for the performance of the role and no less discriminatory alternatives are available.
This information is available in alternative format for persons with disabilities. TTY Relay: 711