The Sobrato Organization
Bayshore Nonprofit Center (Palo Alto, CA)
Founded by John A. Sobrato in 1979 and led by CEO Matthew Sonsini and President Rob Hollister, The Sobrato Organization remains a family-owned firm known for integrity and dedication, with no outside investors or joint venture partners. Since 1953, the Sobrato Family has played a pivotal role in shaping Silicon Valley through its real estate development. Its office, and R&D projects comprise 7.5 million square feet, most of which are Class A, mid-rise office buildings. The firm also owns 30 apartment communities totaling 6,700 units along the West Coast. Through Sobrato Philanthropies, the firm has donated more than $379 million in cash and real estate to the Silicon Valley community.
Reporting to the Senior Program Officer (SPO) – Strengthening Communities the Program Officer (PO) will support cohesive strategy implementation, grantmaking and portfolio management focusing on communities with infrastructure and capacity building needs in several communities in San Mateo County. This PO will demonstrate deep knowledge about promising strategies and approaches to strengthening communities through investments in capacity building, grassroots leadership, and community infrastructure. The PO will make grant, tenant, and resource allocation recommendations that support partners’ goals and community needs within the local ecosystem. The PO will work with colleagues across Sobrato Philanthropies to ensure effective and efficient planning, budgeting, grants management and reporting, and monitoring, evaluation, and learning. The candidate will center equity and community voice in engaging with partners and making recommendations and will enjoy the opportunity to build authentic partnerships with grantees and partners.
Education / Training
– Minimum bachelor’s degree required or equivalent combination of education and work experience in the philanthropic, nonprofit, education, and/or public sector.
– 5 years+ experience in grantmaking, strategically investing grant funds and other resources with due diligence and high accountability.
– Experience in program implementation in the philanthropic or nonprofit sector, with excellent project planning and management skills, ensuring deliverables are well-executed, on time, and on budget.
– Strong written and verbal communication skills to effectively interact with diverse internal and external stakeholders.
– Experience demonstrating program impact by aligning implementation with monitoring, evaluation, and learning.
– Track record in community development, community engagement, community building or community organizing, understanding how to embed community voice, lived experience, diversity, equity, and inclusion in recommendations.
– Experience using Fluxx Grants Management Software
– Familiarity with communities in San Mateo County
– Ability to drive key deliverables effectively and efficiently.
– Ability to be proactive and constantly prioritize responsibilities in a fast-moving and rapidly changing environment.
– Works well independently and within a team, demonstrating great initiative, flexibility, and collaboration.
– Exercises good judgment.