The David & Lucile Packard Foundation
Los Altos, CA
ABOUT THE DAVID AND LUCILE PACKARD FOUNDATION
We work with people and communities to create enduring solutions for just societies and a healthy, resilient natural world. Over our nearly 60-year history, we have worked with thousands of organizations and leaders in the U.S. and worldwide to advance progress in the critical areas of science, ocean and land conservation, climate change, women’s reproductive health and rights, and the well-being of children, families, and communities. At a time of multiple, intertwined crises globally and here in the U.S., the Packard Foundation began in 2021 a long-planned review of our grantmaking strategies. The first step of our process was to rearticulate our vision and mission, reexamine our organizational values, and create a strategic framework that builds on and honors the Packard Foundation’s past while advancing justice and equity in all that we do.
OUR VISION: A just and equitable world where both people and nature flourish.
Our new vision embraces a future where both people and nature flourish in a more just and equitable world. We explicitly acknowledge that the fate of people and the natural environment are inextricably linked. Solutions to the complex challenges we face must account for this interconnectedness.
OUR MISSION: We work with people and communities to create enduring solutions for just societies and a healthy, resilient natural world.
Our new mission takes on the critical work of addressing root causes of the challenges we face and mobilizing people for collective action. In addition to building on approaches that have guided our philanthropy for decades — working in partnership, committing to issues over the long-term, and grounding our work in science, knowledge, and data – we focus on understanding the systems that either accelerate or impede progress. It is only through just and equitable systems that we can find and sustain solutions to some of the biggest challenges we face today.
OUR VALUES: Equity, Integrity, Belief in Individual Leadership, Thinking Big, Respect, and Effectiveness.
In addition to clarifying our long-held values, we added equity. We will champion equity by treating people with dignity, honoring a range of ideas and perspectives from those closest to the issues, creating inclusive processes, and funding people who have been historically excluded to spur progress for all. For more information, including our definitions of key concepts, please visit our website.
The Accounting & Finance department houses the Accounting, Finance, and Investment Accounting & Tax functions. The Finance team is responsible for budgeting, forecasting, custom financial analyses, data mining/dashboard creation and management reporting.
Reporting to the Finance Manager, the Senior Financial Analyst will contribute to the Foundation’s success by leading FP&A efforts working with our Program staff and management. Key areas of responsibility include budgeting, forecasting, custom financial analyses, improvement projects, data mining/dashboard creation and management reporting.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead preparation and modifications to our budgets and forecasts, analyze and explain budget/forecast vs. actual – collaborating with our internal partners and our CFO
- Develop financial models and analyses to support strategic planning, budgeting, forecasting and special projects
- Build out Tableau dashboards to analyze our grants and operational data to glean insights and stories to share with management and Programs on grant making trends and KPIs. Summarize our key findings for management
- Analyze grant and other financial data to forecast our payout ratios and trends and keep our CFO and the Board informed about our progress
- Prepare monthly management reports and provide insights on key trends and budget variances
- Recommend and implement process improvements to ensure high quality financial data, processes, and systems
- Develop systems requirements for our grantmaking system as it relates to our processes
- Create ad hoc reports and analyses to support a variety of needs for Operations and Programs
- Undertake other improvement initiatives, special assignments, and research projects
BA degree preferably in Finance, Accounting, Business, or a data-analytics field with some education in Finance/Accounting
5+ years of related work experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Finance-related work experience, including budgeting and financial analyses using complex combinations of financial and non-financial data from multiple systems
- Technology implementation/improvement project experience
- Analytical and financial modeling skills
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills. Ability to synthesize insights from diverse sources of information and can independently translate a concept into a solution
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills including pivot tables, advanced lookups, advanced IF statements and other complex formulas/automated data manipulation
- Experience with Adaptive Insights or other financial similar planning system, including building custom reports and dashboards
- Experience with Tableau or Power BI or similar data analytics software as a builder/designer
- Strong project management skills and ability to contribute to or lead part of a multi-functional team