Sacramento Region Community Foundation
Make a difference in our community – now and always.
The Sacramento Region Community Foundation is dedicated to connecting people who care with causes that matter. As the capital region’s primary provider of philanthropic services, we help people give back and achieve their philanthropic goals effectively, confidently, and with the support of an expert team connected to the pulse of our community.
The Foundation houses 700 charitable funds for people, families, and businesses, and nonprofits, the majority of which are endowed to ensure they provide support for important causes in perpetuity. We have been the region’s trusted steward of philanthropic funds since 1983, and today manage $200 million in assets. Together with our fundholders, we are one of the largest local grantmakers in the region: Over the past 40 years, we have awarded more than $200 million to support important causes, most of which have made a positive difference directly in El Dorado, Placer, Sacramento, and Yolo counties.
In addition to managing their charitable funds, we work in partnership with our fundholders and other local leaders to transform the capital area through strategic grantmaking and impact initiatives that foster a more vibrant and equitable community for all — including our most visible program, Big Day of Giving. To learn more about our philanthropic services and community initiatives, please visit our website at www.sacregcf.org.
Our vision is a thriving and resilient region where generosity and collaboration create equitable opportunity, and our mission is to lead, serve, and inspire enduring philanthropy for a just and vibrant Sacramento region.
– This is a full-time, exempt, salaried position.
– We have a 9/80 work schedule, with every other Friday off.
– Hybrid work schedule with 2-3 days a week in the office.
Our compensation and benefits show how much we value our team:
– Pay Range: $125 – $155K, depending on experience
– Medical/dental/vision Insurance
– 401K program with generous Foundation contribution
– Generous Vacation and Holiday Pay
– Fun mixers and team-building events
About the Position
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and operating as a key member of the leadership team, the Chief Philanthropy Officer (CPO) is a proven leader, with more than 10 years’ experience in all aspects of external relations, donor development and marketing/communications, and works closely with donors, external partners, community stakeholders, professional advisors, board members and Foundation colleagues. The position is responsible for developing programs and materials to identify and cultivate new fundholders to assure a lasting source of philanthropic funds for the benefit of the region. The CPO also strengthens the Foundation’s strategic engagement with its existing fundholders, raises the visibility of the Foundation, and communicates its impact to key stakeholders in its four-county service area (El Dorado, Placer, Sacramento, and Yolo).
The role of the CPO has become even more critical as the Foundation has become laser-focused on asset growth, diversification of revenue generation, elevated brand identity and communications, and bold leadership in support of its new Strategic Plan, which is grounded in advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in the Sacramento region.
– Lead all aspects of the Foundation’s philanthropic, donor communications, and fund development programs with a goal of increasing the Foundation’s assets according to the goals established by the Board and CEO and enhancing its role as a community leader.
– Enhance the Foundation’s role as a community leader by partnering with donors and the community to eliminate structural barriers, advance equity, and transform social outcomes for all who call the greater Sacramento region their home.
– Serve as a senior leader for the entire organization increasing transparency and connectedness to the overall mission, vision, and operational goals.
– Work closely with the Foundation Impact team to collaborate on the development of cases for support that will generate unrestricted dollars for where the team determines the needs are greatest, in support of the Foundation’s strategic goals
– Manage a team of professionals to work collaboratively and creatively, creating an atmosphere of continuous learning to expand professional achievement and satisfaction
– Identify major gift and planned gift prospects among current fundholders and others with a goal of increasing the number and size of the gifts, expanding the Foundation’s pool of discretionary funding, diversifying the donor-base and strengthening our operations by encouraging gifts to the Foundation’s operating endowment
– Oversee strategic marketing, public relations, and external communications to further the Foundation’s strong reputation and engage key stakeholders in supporting key focus areas and new funds generation
– Understand federal and state regulations regarding charitable giving
– Increase fundholder satisfaction and investment in the Foundation through strategic donor stewardship, communications, and events
– Lead a variety of professional advisor outreach efforts including managing the Philanthropic Advisors’ Forum and Advisory Committee, creating communications materials and maintaining an updated database of advisors, and conducting presentations and meetings with key advisors
– Recruit board members and other partners, as needed, to assist in marketing and fund development efforts
– Work with the Foundation’s Director of Communications to create an annual communications and development plan covering all aspects of asset growth and communications through paid media, earned media, and social media
– Raise corporate sponsorship funds as needed for Foundation events and initiatives
– Assure that all the marketing and development policies and procedures are carried out in a manner compliant with best practices according to the National Standards for Community Foundations
– A passion for community involvement and inspiring philanthropy in the Sacramento region in pursuit of the Foundation’s vision and mission and a commitment to upholding the Foundation’s core values. Learn more about these on our website.
– Minimum ten years’ experience in fundraising with a proven track record in donor cultivation, especially among high net-worth individuals capable of major or planned gifts, and ten years’ experience in strategic marketing, brand management, and public relations, preferably in the nonprofit sector
– Demonstrate a strong commitment to providing concierge-level donor service to current and potential fundholders
– A working knowledge of both traditional and emerging communications platforms
– The ability to manage complex projects in a deadline-driven and high-achieving environment, valuing resourcefulness, collaboration, flexibility, creativity, entrepreneurialism, enthusiasm, and patience
– Experience working in a management and leadership role with a demonstrated commitment to intradepartmental cooperation and knowledge-sharing
– Express eagerness and willingness to explore new systems, ideas, and innovative approaches to philanthropy, including emerging and community-centered approaches to fundraising
– Model and foster a strong team culture of collaboration and commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion providing support for the ongoing professional development and growth of the team.
– Ability to work independently, take initiative, and participate as a key member of the senior team
– Excellent organizational ability, including the ability to set priorities, multi-task, problem solve, and meet deadlines
– Ability and willingness to travel regionally and to work evenings and weekends as required for special events, donor meetings, etc.
– Bachelor’s degree required, along with planned giving expertise, CFRE, CAP and/or related master’s degree preferred
– Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, and possess the ability to master our internal donor management system, and/or facility with and ability to learn other donor prospect/data content management systems
– Experience with donor prospect management platforms preferred
– Able to bend, lift, and move up to 25 pounds
– Community foundation experience a plus
How to Apply
Please visit our website and complete the application for Chief Philanthropy Officer.