The David and Lucile Packard Foundation
Los Altos, California
The David & Lucile Packard Foundation was founded in 1964 by David and Lucile Packard. We work with people and communities to create enduring solutions for just societies and a healthy, resilient natural world. We have worked with organizations and leaders in the U.S. and worldwide to advance progress in the critical areas of science, ocean and land conservation, climate change, women’s reproductive health and rights, and the well-being of children, families, and communities.
At a time of multiple, intertwined crises globally and here in the U.S., the Packard Foundation began in 2021 a long-planned review of our grantmaking strategies. The first step of our process was to rearticulate our vision and mission, reexamine our organizational values, and create a strategic framework that builds on and honors the Packard Foundation’s past while advancing justice and equity in all that we do.
OUR VISION: A just and equitable world where both people and nature flourish.
Our new vision embraces a future where both people and nature flourish in a more just and equitable world. We explicitly acknowledge that the fate of people and the natural environment are inextricably linked. Solutions to the complex challenges we face must account for this interconnectedness.
OUR MISSION: We work with people and communities to create enduring solutions for just societies and a healthy, resilient natural world.
Our new mission takes on the critical work of addressing root causes of the challenges we face and mobilizing people for collective action. In addition to building on approaches that have guided our philanthropy for decades — working in partnership, committing to issues over the long-term, and grounding our work in science, knowledge, and data – we focus on understanding the systems that either accelerate or impede progress. It is only through just and equitable systems that we can find and sustain solutions to some of the biggest challenges we face today.
OUR VALUES: Equity, Integrity, Belief in Individual Leadership, Thinking Big, Respect, and Effectiveness.
In addition to clarifying our long-held values, we added equity. We will champion equity by treating people with dignity, honoring a range of ideas and perspectives from those closest to the issues, creating inclusive processes, and funding people who have been historically excluded to spur progress for all. For more information, including our definitions of key concepts, please visit our website.
The Communications department is responsible for shaping internal and external communications that inspire people and communities to create enduring solutions for just societies and a healthy, natural resilient world. Our department focuses on producing engaging communications that embody our commitment to justice and equity and contribute to consistent, positive experiences for our grantees and partners as we collectively work to accelerate progress towards our common goals.
Reporting to the institutional communications director, the digital strategist will be responsible for overseeing the Foundation’s digital media platforms (including social media, web, and email marketing), developing engaging digital strategies, managing innovative digital campaigns, and developing creative social media content. This position requires a keen understanding of the digital media landscape and is responsible for tracking related trends and tools. The ideal candidate is a gifted digital storyteller with experience in leveraging digital tools to drive social change and is a data-driven professional who thrives in a collaborative, values-driven environment.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and execute creative digital media and social media strategies that engage and grow the Foundation’s digital audiences
- Foster the Foundation’s organizational identity, infusing the organization’s voice and tone throughout the Foundation’s digital media channels
- Maintain and execute the Foundation’s digital/social media calendar and create and post engaging content that furthers the organization’s mission
- Develop, execute, analyze, and project-manage the digital/social media components of the Foundation’s communications campaigns
- Identify opportunities to amplify grantees’ work and co-create and deploy content that supports their communications efforts
- Develop and execute social media strategy for executives and subject matter experts
- Create multimedia content (e.g., graphics, videos, and animation) for its social media channels
- Monitor social media channels for mentions and actively engage in conversations
- Manage the Foundation’s visual assets and related guidelines
- Regularly update the Foundation’s website content and visuals
- Monitor, analyze, and report on audience trends and performance related to the Foundation’s digital platforms
- Incorporate justice and equity principles into all communications
Education: Associate’s degree required; Bachelor’s degree preferred in journalism, public affairs, communications, public relations, or liberal arts or equivalent education and experience
- At least 5 years of experience in an agency, digital campaign or organizing environment, public relations, or nonprofit communications
- Experience managing social media accounts and creating content for large organizations
- Experience conceptualizing and managing large, multi-channel digital campaigns and projects through completion
- Experience communicating and creating content and campaigns that center justice and equity
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Skilled content creator with the ability to communicate accurately and effectively to different audiences across platforms
- Demonstrated in-depth knowledge and understanding of social media platforms
- Ability to analyze and interpret social media analytics and indicators of success
- Excellent writing and communications skills and demonstrated ability to internalize an organization’s identity and write in its voice
- Strong attention to detail and a keen eye for design
- Demonstrated ability to execute and follow through on commitments, prioritize work, and manage time and resources well
- A digital storyteller who is passionate about advancing mission-driven organizations
- Knowledge of graphic design/photo editing tools (e.g., Photoshop, Illustrator, Canva)
- Ability to create email campaigns and use related tools (e.g., MailChimp, Salesforce)
- Proficiency in digital publishing and analytics tools (e.g., Hootsuite, WordPress)
- Sound judgment in handling sensitive or confidential information
- Ability and willingness to work off hours, including nights and weekends, as needed