The Boston Foundation
The Boston Foundation believes that one of the great strengths of the Greater Boston community is the rich diversity of its residents in race, religion, national origin, ethnicity, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, age and physical abilities. The Foundation seeks to enhance and support that diversity, not only by its grant making, but also by adopting and implementing employment policies and practices designed to recognize and respond to such diversity.
Title: Major Gifts Officer, Embrace Boston
Department: Philanthropy Group, Embrace Boston
Reports To: Deputy Director of External Relations and Advancement, Embrace Boston
FLSA Classification: Exempt FTE: 1
Hybrid Schedule (subject to change): On-site Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday. Remote options on Monday and Friday.
Reporting to the Deputy Director of External Relations and Advancement and regularly partnering closely with Embrace Boston’s Executive Team and Development and External Affairs team, the Major Gifts Officer will execute a multiyear fundraising plan; identifying and cultivating emerging major donors, enhancing ties with current donors and pursuing with determination new High Net Worth Individuals (HNWI) and major institutional prospects.
● In partnership with the External Affairs Team, Embrace Boston, execute Embrace Boston’s overall revenue strategies, with the goal of raising or exceeding the annual fundraising goal of $6M and broadening and diversifying our funding streams;
● Review and refine processes as needed to ensure best-in-class donor reporting and stewardship, ensuring that donors’ experiences are meaningful, well organized, mission-aligned, and successfully executed;
● Acting as an externally facing fundraiser, establish and manage strong relationships with individuals and institutional donors and prospects, leveraging their networks to increase their philanthropic investments;
● Increase Embrace Boston’s visibility with HNWI and major institutional donors, particularly on the national stage;
● Manage acknowledgment process for donors and others as needed, including pledge reminders and tracking donor contribution;
● Write grants and other communications;
● Demonstrated experience managing budgets as they relate to grant proposals and reports;
● Lead fundraising for signature events including identifying and managing host committee members;
● Ensure timely and accurate data tracking in Salesforce, including meeting briefs and post-meeting reports;
● Improve channels and systems for communication with donors and other internal processes; and
● Represent Embrace Boston’s development functions externally.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
• Foster a culture of continual learning and improvement for team members and newly hired staff as needed by providing coaching, technical and other assistance in all areas of fundraising, data management, stewardship, etc.; and
• Individuals assigned to this position may perform other duties as assigned.
Preparation, Knowledge, Previous Experience:
● Bachelor’s degree or equivalent related experience;
● 5+ years of frontline fundraising experience;
● Experience in building and executing successful campaigns;
● Demonstrable track record of personally identifying, cultivating, and soliciting individual and institutional donors, specifically attracting five and six-figure gifts;
● Demonstrable knowledge of and relationship with national and local funders;
● Substantial experience closing gifts at the five and six-figure level across a wide range of gift arrangements; and
● Demonstrable track record of successful partnerships with top-level philanthropists and institutional leaders.
Skills, Abilities, Competencies:
● Ability to successfully manage multiple details and priorities in a fast-paced environment;
● Proficiency in Salesforce or other Customer Relations Management (CRM) platforms;
● Proficiency using Microsoft Office products required (including but not limited to skills within Excel; such as formula creation, pivot tables, and other functions);
● Experience with Adobe Suite and social media platforms is preferred;
● Ability to work interdependently and independently in a collaborative environment;
● Ability to follow a plan through to completion, proactively reporting on progress;
● Strategic thinker with an impeccable ability to problem solve;
● Demonstrated ability to foster strong relationships with stakeholders;
● Proficiency in developing and executing best practice moves management processes;
● Demonstrated ability to comprehensively identify, analyze, and effectively segment and prioritize donors to increase philanthropic support and engagement;
● Exceptional interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills;
● Excellent organizational, analytical and project management skills;
● Ability to consistently meet goals, and produce results;
● Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information appropriately and with discretion; and
● Ability to work with evolving priorities and timelines.
Working Conditions & Physical Demands:
● Ability to work at a workstation for long periods of time;
● Ability to use a keyboard for extended periods of time;
● Ability to lift and carry up to 10 pounds, occasionally;
● Ability to work remotely and on-site as required; and
● Willingness and ability to work outside the regularly scheduled workday as needed.
How to Apply
All applications should be submitted online. Go online and select “Major Gifts Officer, Embrace Boston” to complete our online application process.