Grantmakers for Effective Organizations
Grantmakers for Effective Organizations (GEO) exists to help grantmakers turn their desire to improve into real progress. The GEO community bridges the gap between grantmaking as usual and transformational change. Our community includes more than 6,600 grantmakers working together to turn a hunger for more effective philanthropy into clear pathways for achieving it. We’re cutting through the noise to lift up the practices that matter most to nonprofits. GEO cultivates a community for grantmakers to work with their peers while they are navigating the same journey towards improvement. To learn more about how GEO is making faster progress possible, visit www.geofunders.org.
Under the direction of Membership and Development Director and as part of GEO’s revenue team, the Membership and Development Specialist is responsible for supporting the health of GEO’s vibrant and growing membership base as a strategic priority of the organization with a significant focus on fundraising and supporting administrative development activities. The Membership and Development Specialist is responsible for reinforcing and overseeing the process of member renewals, including tailored communications at various stages of the member relationship, and ensuring data integrity of over 500 organizational members.
The Membership and Development Specialist will support new members and funders through conferences, in-person meetings and email or phone, ensuring an excellent member experience.
Total Travel Time: 10 – 15%.
If you were working with us, here are some of the things you would have done last week:
- Support your team to create a membership/development report for Q3 for an upcoming board meeting and to share with all staff.
- Drafted text for an email engagement campaign with our members.
- Identify prospects to rejoin the GEO community as part of a 2023 membership campaign.
- Reconciled revenue data with the operations team working on monthly financials.
- Identified potential new members to be invited to an event with GEO’s CEO.
- Reviewed and provided input for a grant report due next month.
- Attended a conference host committee meeting and provided administrative support for a successful meeting.
- Worked with the communications team to provide content for monthly newsletter.
- Supported the planning of a virtual outreach effort to connect with GEO funders, members and prospective members in a key region.
Note: Most GEO staff are currently working primarily remotely. For the time being, we will be conducting the hiring process virtually.
Salary and Benefits
GEO offers a competitive salary starting at $64k and a generous benefits package, including 100 percent employer paid health/dental/vision insurance; three weeks of vacation; office closure for federal holidays as well as a one-week summer break, summer Fridays and the last two weeks of the year; twelve sick days, two personal days, one volunteer day; a seven percent employer retirement contribution; sabbaticals every three years of service; wellness benefits; telecommunications reimbursement; transportation benefits; a commitment to professional development and growth including annual funding for professional development; along with a Metro accessible office location in downtown D.C.
- A minimum of 3 to 5 years of progressively responsible, relevant work experience in membership or fundraising, or a combination of training, education and experience that demonstrates the ability to perform the duties for this position.
- Solid written and verbal communication skills with demonstrated ability to clearly document processes and systems
- Attention to detail, strong organizational skills, and ability to follow-up for an efficient workflow and successful member engagement
- Ability to prioritize, plan, organize, and independently manage and meet deadlines
- Commitment to being proactive and producing good-quality work, particularly in producing materials for funder and member engagement
- Ability to work in collaboration with others that possess a diversity of backgrounds, skill sets, and experience
- Ability to learn on the job and to identify opportunities for innovation
- Available and willing to travel as needed
- Self-starter with confidence, enthusiasm, and strong customer service orientation
For more details about the position, please review the full job description.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should apply on our jobs page, a resume and cover letter are required to be considered for this position. In your cover letter, please address the following:
- Why are you a good fit for this position?
- Tell us about your experience engaging stakeholders using a tailored and personalized approach.
- What appeals to you about working at GEO?
- We will begin to review applicants the week of April 3rd and accept applications until the position is filled.
Grantmakers for Effective Organizations is an equal opportunity employer. GEO is committed to equal employment opportunities in recruitment, hiring, promotion, training, compensation and disciplinary action with regard to the terms and conditions of employment. GEO does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, color, age, sex, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, personal appearance, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation or any other legally protected characteristic.