North Star Fund is New York's community foundation supporting grassroots groups leading the movement for equality, economic justice, and peace. Our activist-led grantmaking process, which puts decision making in the hands of activists on the front lines, working in partnership with our board members and donors, shifts the power dynamics of philanthropy and ensures our resources go directly to communities of color most impacted by systemic racism, poverty and wealth-stripping.
The Program Officer facilitates our activist-led grantmaking programs, as well as organizing donors to support our work. The ideal candidate will be an experienced organizer from the North Star Fund grantee community (or similar organization) with grassroots fundraising skills. This position reports to the Deputy Director of Programs.
Grantmaking and Programs
• Coordinate our activist-led grantmaking, working with our Community Funding Committee;
• Communicate clearly and in a timely fashion with all grantees and applicants;
• Assist with capacity building programs to strengthen the base building, leadership development, administrative systems, and campaigns of grassroots organizations and movement networks;
• Assist in capturing and communicating grantee victories and successes to demonstrate the tremendous impact our grantees have on New York City’s political landscape;
• Supervise the Program Associate to ensure legal and due diligence requirements are met, including collecting necessary documents, performing accurate data entry and keeping complete files;
Donor Organizing and Resource Development
• With the development team, provide support for resource/fundraising initiatives;
• Represent North Star Fund and our grantees in philanthropic spaces, including our participation in collaborative grantmaking funds;
• Provide skills workshops, programmatic and outreach support to our cross-class, cross-race donor engagement programs.
• 3-5 years experience as a community organizer in a campaign-based, member-led organization;
• Solid understanding of progressive social justice issues and community organizing;
• Strong communications skills and experience with diverse stakeholders, including donor and funder networks;
• Knowledge of and experience with grassroots fundraising and donor organizing;
• Strong facilitation skills and a proven track record working with members and/or volunteers;
• Able to meet deadlines, manage a project with many moving parts and sweat the details;
• Bilingual English/Spanish preferred.
North Star Fund is firmly committed to affirmative action and strongly encourages people of color, women, LGBTQ, elderly and disabled candidates to apply. We appreciate all applicants, but please be advised that our capacity allows to only respond to those best qualified for the position.
Compensation: The salary range is $55,000 to $65,000, plus excellent benefits.
To apply: Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls please. Application close date: Open until filled.