The Boston Foundation
The Boston Foundation believes that one of the great strengths of the Greater Boston community is the rich diversity of its residents in race, religion, national origin, ethnicity, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, age and physical abilities. The Foundation seeks to enhance and support that diversity, not only by its grant making, but also by adopting and implementing employment policies and practices designed to recognize and respond to such diversity.
The Boston Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We encourage applications from people with diverse backgrounds and experience.
Title: Director of Development
Department: Philanthropy Group, Embrace Boston
Reports To: Deputy Director of External Relations and Advancement
FLSA Classification: Exempt FTE: 1
Hybrid Schedule (subject to change): On-site Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday. Remote options on Monday and Friday.
Embrace Boston seeks a dynamic, dedicated, entrepreneurial leader with unwavering commitment to racial and economic justice to be our Director of Development. The DoD will have a strong track record in successfully executing and managing fundraising efforts and strategic partnerships, securing six- and seven-figure gifts. Reporting to the Deputy Director of External Relations and Advancement and regularly partnering closely with both the Executive Director and the Deputy Director of Operations, the Director of Development will execute on a multiyear fundraising plan. The DoD will also advise Embrace Boston’s senior leadership on existing opportunities as the organization establishes new philanthropic partnerships with local and national funders and overall, build our major gifts capacity.
● Contribute to the organization’s revenue target of $6M through executing fundraising strategies aligned with Embrace Boston’s mission; including Major Gifts, Individual Giving, Special Events, Institutional Partnerships, Year-round Appeals, and Multi-year Giving;
● Execute and manage a multi-year development plan that includes major institutional giving, high net worth individuals, special events, and donor engagement for new and existing donors;
● Write grants and other communications, including a solid understanding of budgets as they relate to grant proposals and reports;
● Lead fundraising for signature events including, identifying and managing host committee members;
● Ensure timely and accurate data tracking in Salesforce and communications infrastructure;
● Recommend, develop and manage systems to enhance fundraising goals and execution;
● Promote and develop deeper, multiyear philanthropic investments;
● Represent Embrace Boston externally.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
● Foster a culture of continual learning and improvement for team members and newly hired staff as needed by providing coaching, technical and other assistance in all areas of fundraising, data management, stewardship, etc.;
● Individuals assigned to this position may perform other duties as assigned.
Preparation, Knowledge, Previous Experience:
● Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience;
● 5+ years of frontline fundraising experience,
● Experience in building and executing successful campaigns required; and
● Demonstrated success meeting or exceeding fundraising goals.
Skills, Abilities, Competencies:
● Ability to successfully manage multiple details and priorities in a fast-paced environment;
● Proficiency in Salesforce or other Customer Relations Management (CRM) platform required;
● Proficiency using Microsoft Office products required (including but not limited to skills with in Excel; such as formula creation, pivot-tables, and other functions);
● Experience with Adobe Suite and social media platforms is preferred;
● Ability to work interdependently and independently in a collaborative environment;
● Ability to follow a task through to completion, proactively reporting on progress;
● Strategic thinker with impeccable ability to problem solve;
● Demonstrated ability to foster strong relationships with stakeholders;
● Proficiency and experience in managing all aspects of utilization of Salesforce and various donor engagement platforms;
● Proficiency developing and executing best practice moves management processes;
● Demonstrated ability to comprehensively identify, analyze, and effectively segment and prioritize donors to increase philanthropic support and engagement;
● Exceptional interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills;
● Excellent organizational, analytical and project management skills;
● Ability to consistently meet goals, and produce results;
● Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information appropriately and with discretion; and
● Ability to work with evolving priorities and timelines.
Working Conditions & Physical Demands:
● Ability to work at workstation for long periods of time;
● Ability to use a keyboard for extended periods of time;
● Ability to lift and carry up to 10 pounds, occasionally;
● Ability to work remotely and on-site as required; and
● Willingness and ability to work outside the regularly scheduled workday as needed.
How to Apply
All applications should be submitted online and select “Director of Development, Embrace Boston” to complete our online application process.