San Francisco, CA + Hybrid
Ploughshares Fund is a global security foundation that seeks to reduce nuclear threats and ultimately eliminate nuclear weapons. We believe everyone has the right to a safe and secure future. In order to fundamentally transform nuclear policy, we seek to strengthen the nuclear field with new voices and diverse perspectives; motivate the public and build power with allies; stimulate new approaches and challenge status quo thinking; and catalyze inclusion within the nuclear field and our organization through Equity Rises.
Equity Rises aims to increase equity and justice in nuclear policies and institutions by empowering diverse voices, cultivating inclusive spaces (across identity, sector, and geography), and collaborating with new partners both inside and outside the nuclear field.
Ploughshares Fund is a public foundation that relies on the generous support of individuals, families and foundations.
The Operations Associate is a part-time position that reports directly to the Executive Director and plays a critical support role in managing board relations, strategic projects and other administrative functions for the organization. They will be a central point of contact across the organization and for the board of directors. In addition, they will provide general support for the San Francisco office. This position is primarily tactical and implementation.
In this job you will:
• Liaise with board members and board committees on behalf of the Executive Director and at times the President
• Support Executive Director in planning, logistics, minutes and preparation of materials for board and board committee meetings
• Liaise with directors and staff on behalf of the Executive Director on the execution of strategic projects
• Maintain organization calendar and schedule organization wide meetings
• Schedule meetings and appointments as needed for the Executive Director
• Organize and support the San Francisco office team as well as organization-wide events
• Assist with phone coverage, ordering supplies and welcoming visitors to the San Francisco office
• Provide additional support as needed
Compensation and Benefits
FLSA Designation: Non-exempt
This is a part-time, 20 hour per week position, based in San Francisco, CA requiring a minimum one day a week in the office. Ploughshares Fund allows for some remote work flexibility regarding both location and scheduling. For example, in person meetings may be required for specific job functions, collaboration and onboarding, with remote flexibility allowed for independent project work.
This is an Associate level position which has a set hourly rate between $22.12 and $33.17. The maximum starting rate will be the midpoint, $27.64/hour, and depend on your skills as stated above. Ploughshares Fund offers part-time employees paid vacation time, paid sick leave and paid holidays.
To do this job, you will need to have the following skills. We understand that candidates may not initially have all of these skills, but we ask that you have most of them when you apply.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) as well as internet research, experience working with databases a plus.
• Strong organizational and project management skills, including high attention to detail and timelines.
• Ability to manage multiple tasks concurrently.
• Work independently as well as part of a team, be proactive and take direction.
• Adapt to changing circumstances, including emergent events and new information.
• Expand your knowledge about current events, the nuclear field and the field of philanthropy.
• Communicate through writing, as well as speaking or signing, in a way that is clear, concise, compelling and accurate, as well as tonally appropriate for and easily understood by internal and external audiences.
We require all of our staff to have the following skills, drawn from our organizational values of collaboration, adaptability, understanding and our commitment to Equity Rises:
• Generate new ideas with other staff members by cultivating curiosity.
• Build trust by forgiving others’ mistakes and taking responsibility for their own.
• Communicate needs around tasks, priorities and deadlines clearly to colleagues.
• Adjust their workflow (pace, topic, relationships) to respond to immediate challenges.
• Learn from and respond to others through active listening.
• Ensure their own work derives from the organization’s mission and goals (for example, in strategies and workplans).
• Reflect on and address power (personal and organizational) when communicating and making decisions.
• Help set and achieve departmental and organizational DEIA goals.
For this position we require that you have the following experience:
• At least 1 year prior work experience.
• Relevant transferable skills, work experience, or education including: administrative support, event planning, project management, communications in a professional setting.
• On the job training is available.
• Ability to work at a computer for the majority of the day.
• Some travel required.
• May be required to work weekends and nights.
How to Apply
Please submit your application HERE, along with a resume and cover letter that highlight how you meet the required skills and experience noted above. Applications are due by May 31, 2023. Please do not contact us by phone. To learn more about Ploughshares Fund, please visit ploughshares.org.