The Boston Foundation
The Boston Foundation believes that one of the great strengths of the Greater Boston community is the rich diversity of its residents in race, religion, national origin, ethnicity, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, age and physical abilities. The Foundation seeks to enhance and support that diversity, not only by its grant making, but also by adopting and implementing employment policies and practices designed to recognize and respond to such diversity.
The Boston Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We encourage applications from people with diverse backgrounds and experience.
Title: Assistant Staff Accountant
Reports To: Director of Investment Accounting
FLSA Classification: Exempt FTE: 1
The Assistant Staff Accountant provides financial and accounting support to the Foundation. Assists in ensuring accurate reporting and appropriate internal control procedures in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP). Contributes to maintaining the integrity of the financial reporting system, assists in completing internal and external financial reporting requirements, performs routine accounting department functions, and works closely with other accounting staff.
• Provide assistance and support to Staff Accountants on spending policy, admin fees, program related investments, loan management and other related duties;
• Assists in reconciling bank account statements to general ledger balances on a monthly basis and prepares journal entries to resolve reconciling amounts;
• Assists in reconciling reports of other invested assets to general ledger on monthly basis and prepares journal entries to post activity;
• Assists in preparing account reconciliations, journal entry preparation as part of quarterly budget review and general ledger close as well as annual audit as necessary;
• Tracks quarterly investment manager statements and reconciles amounts reported internally to the amounts reported on the quarterly statements received from the investment managers;
• Inventories AUP’s (agreed-upon procedures), letters received from investment managers, as well as the nature and timing of the independent auditor report;
• Collects and tracks annual audited statements from investment managers;
• Provides backup to other staff in Finance office including processing of daily cash receipts, processing of new gifts (including stock transactions), administrative expense (A/P), and grants payable;
• Enters adjustments to postings of journal entries and invoice payments to correct accounts charged and descriptions entered;
• Loan tracking and monitoring, present journal entries when loan payments are received;
• Assists with the annual external audit, including assistance with preparation of work papers;
• Participates in Foundation-wide meetings, teams, and/or events as required, and perform other duties as assigned; and
• Strives for operational excellence throughout the Finance function.
Other Duties and Responsibilities: Individuals assigned to this position may perform other duties as needed.
Preparation, Knowledge, Previous Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Business Administration, or equivalent experience;
• Minimum 1-3 years related work experience;
• Experience preparing bank account reconciliations preferred;
• Experience reconciling impress accounts preferred;
• Experience preparing reconciliations of investment activity and posting investment returns preferred;
• Knowledge of standard accounting operating procedures and principles; and
• Experience performing cash receipt and disbursement processing.
Skills, Abilities, Competencies:
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office products, including Outlook, Word, and Excel;
• Proven attention to detail;
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
• Working knowledge of GAAP accounting for not-for-profits preferred;
• Ability to work under the pressure of tight deadlines;
• Ability to make decisions about how to manage and organize own workload preferred;
• Maintain highest standards of confidentiality and exhibit discretion;
• Participative work style;
• Ability to give and receive productive feedback;
• Mature interpersonal style and the ability to interact calmly with a diverse range of people; and
• Willingness to learn complexity of organization and participate in process discussions.
Working Conditions & Physical Demands:
• Ability to work at work station for long periods of time;
• Ability to use a computer keyboard for extended periods of time; and
• Ability to work both remotely and on-site.
How to Apply
All applications should be submitted online. Select “Assistant Staff Accountant” to complete our online application process.