The William and Flora Hewlett Foundation
The William and Flora Hewlett Foundation is a nonpartisan, private charitable foundation that advances ideas and supports institutions to promote a better world. For more than 50 years, it has supported efforts to advance education for all, preserve the environment, foster gender equity and responsive governance around the world, support vibrant performing arts, serve Bay Area communities, and make the philanthropy sector more effective. In addition, we also make grants for special projects and to address other timely problems, such as challenges related to cybersecurity. Our newest program focuses on strengthening U.S. democracy. In 2020, the foundation announced a new grantmaking commitment focused on racial justice.
The Hewlett Foundation’s assets are approximately $12.5 billion with annual awards of grants totaling more than $600 million. More information about the Hewlett Foundation is available at: www.hewlett.org
The Associate Director’s primary responsibility will be to participate in manager selection and oversight across the three distinct asset classes: Public Equity, Low and Intermediate Risk Assets, and Real Estate. These asset classes collectively represent roughly 60% of the portfolio. The Associate Director will work closely with both the Managing Director of Public Equity and Managing Director of Public Investments.
The Associate Director will be a critical part of our ten-person investment staff and will report to the Managing Director of Public Investments.
In addition, the Associate Director will:
• Work closely with Managing Directors in monitoring and analyzing the existing investments in the
portfolio, including detailed analytical work of underlying investment holdings, maintaining active
communication with general partners, attending annual meetings, and reviewing quarterly correspondence.
• Perform due diligence for prospective investments and assist in manager selection by evaluating the team
and strategy, driving analysis of holdings and attribution, and preparing recommendations for the team.
• Develop and manage quantitative analyses of manager-specific and asset class performance and risk
• Support team efforts on modeling and analysis of benchmarks, performance, risk, and liquidity.
• Research broad industry trends and support the investment team in various projects as required.
Qualities We Are Looking For:
• Intellectual curiosity: You want to dig deep, ask questions, learn and exchange ideas.
• Passion for investing: You love the market and love learning about business models, growth opportunities
and inherent risks.
• Competitive streak and intense work ethic: You’re driven to find the best investments and are willing to
put in the work to make it happen.
• Highly adaptable: You are comfortable on a small team, can prioritize quickly and are energized by making
sure investment processes stays on track.
• Culture add: You contribute to the team and culture. You pride yourself on kindness, integrity and not
taking yourself too seriously.
• Humility: You value having the space to admit mistakes and drive to learn from them.
• Effective communication: You know when to listen, when to question, and have a proven ability to get your
Required Skills and Knowledge
Candidates should have 8-10 years of institutional buy-side or sell-side research experience. MBA or CFA preferred. The following specific skills are required:
• Demonstrated knowledge of financial markets and public asset classes.
• Mastery of quantitative methods and analytical capabilities required for complex problem solving.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills with proven ability to develop and defend investment
• Expert knowledge of Excel, Bloomberg analytics, and ability to create and manipulate complex financial
• Ability to multitask and prioritize among many time-sensitive demands.
• Team orientation.
• Interest in supporting the work of a philanthropic foundation.
How to Apply
We’d love to hear from you! Please apply online and submit a resume and cover letter addressed to Brett Johnson, explaining your interest and how your skills fit this position.