North Star Fund
North Star Fund is a social justice fund that supports grassroots organizing led by communities of color building power in New York City and the Hudson Valley. We also organize people across race and class to give in support of social justice movements.
We seek a strategic and creative Donor Relations Manager who will develop a pipeline of mid-level and major donors. They will think deeply about cultivation programs and events for donors and partner with the Donor Programs team to thoughtfully steer donors along the organizing process.
This position is full-time. They will report to the Development Director and will regularly partner with other staff. North Star Fund staff is currently working remotely and has not yet set a date for return to our physical office. The Donor Relations Manager is expected to reside in the New York City or Hudson Valley region and to be available for meetings and events in the communities we serve.
Donor Cultivation and Stewardship
- Assess and audit current development systems; in partnership with the Development Director, create a moves management system that identifies and moves mid-level donors to major donors.
- Establish a growing portfolio of donors by applying moves management strategies for new mid-level donors and major donors, while managing an inherited portfolio. This includes prospecting, donor outreach and relationship development. After the first year, the Donor Relations Manager will build upon their inherited portfolio with new prospects and donors.
- In partnership with the Development Director, create donor support and engagements that lead to long-term giving commitments. This includes working with the development team to design and implement strategies to foster long-term relationships with North Star Fund, from onboarding to multi-year commitments to legacy giving.
Donor Cultivation and Events
- Work across the organization to create strategies that transition program and one-time event participants into longer-term supporters of North Star Fund.
- In support of North Star Fund’s strategic plan, create a calendar of cultivation events that keep North Star Fund donors and various audiences engaged in our work and drive moves management. This can include a special gift to legacy donors, a small event for donor-advised fund donors, or a webinar for North Star Fund’s monthly donors. It also includes events, campaigns and/or messaging to recruit new donors into our donor-advised fund program, sustainer program, and/or legacy program.
Communications Strategy and Support
- Assist the Development Director with grantwriting and reporting, with the possibility of full ownership in the future.
- Work with both the Development and Communications teams on donor messaging, campaign branding and onboarding strategy.
The salary for this position is $79,409 in accordance with North Star Fund’s compensation structure. North Star Fund offers full benefits including employer-covered health/vision/dental, life, and disability insurance (we also cover 75% of insurance premiums for dependents), a group 403(b) retirement plan (with an employer contribution after one year), more than 25 days of paid time off (vacation, holidays, and the last week in December), and a sabbatical after five years of employment.
- Experience in individual fundraising and moves management strategy;
Excellent communications skills, including the ability to communicate a variety of North Star Fund stories to different segments of North Star Fund donors and audiences;
- Creativity and energy; excited to share North Star Fund’s mission via the written word, meetings and events;
- Advanced skills in event production and the creation of branded experiences;
- Ability to receive and prioritize multiple requests from various stakeholders;
- Experience with Salesforce or other CMS, as well as research skills in WealthEngine, Windfall or other prospecting platforms.
- Experience with Facebook and Instagram as tools for storytelling and promotion;
- Strong commitment to anti-racism, social justice values and building an equitable workplace.
Must be able to work at a computer screen for several hours a day. Must be able to meet with donors in person and/or via teleconferencing. Occasional evening and weekend events as needed. Light lifting for in-person events may be required, but accommodations will be made as necessary for the safety and well-being of all employees.
How to Apply
Please apply here. We’re accepting applications for this role until the position is filled.
Hiring Process and Timeline
When you apply for a job at North Star Fund, here’s what you can expect:
- All our job applications will include a request for a cover letter. In your cover letter, please tell us what compels you about our mission and share examples of work you’ve done in the past that prepares you for the position. This could be paid work, volunteer work, or activist work.
- We will review applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
- We conduct the first round of interviews with 6–8 of the most promising candidates.
- The first round often involves a work sample or short exercise that we review without knowing who submitted it to help us assess applicants’ skills while minimizing bias.
- We interview 2–3 finalists about 1–2 week(s) after the first round.
- We check references for 1–2 finalists.
- Finalists can expect to hear back from us in 1–2 weeks.
- The hiring process may take between 2 and 3 months from initial posting of the job opportunity until an offer is made.
To apply for a job at North Star Fund, please follow the instructions on the specific job announcement. No calls please.
North Star Fund is firmly committed to equity and diversity and to the recruitment and retention of people from backgrounds traditionally excluded from philanthropy, including Black, Indigenous and people of color, women, LGBTQ people, elders, and people with disabilities.