The Boston Foundation
The Boston Foundation believes that one of the great strengths of the Greater Boston community is the rich diversity of its residents in race, religion, national origin, ethnicity, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, age and physical abilities. The Foundation seeks to enhance and support that diversity, not only by its grant making, but also by adopting and implementing employment policies and practices designed to recognize and respond to such diversity.
The Boston Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We encourage applications from people with diverse backgrounds and experience.
Title: Donor Services Associate
Department: Philanthropy Group
Reports To: Senior Donor Services Manager
FLSA Classification: Exempt FTE: 1
Hybrid Schedule (subject to change): In-office Tuesday and Thursday, remote work on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
The Donor Services Assistant provides efficient and responsive customer service to the Boston Foundation’s donor community, as well as organizational and logistical support to the Donor Services team. This position also serves as the primary receptionist for the Development and Donor Services (DDS) department and administrative support for the Donor Services team.
• Provides responsive customer service to the Boston Foundation’s donor community, inclusive of the following:
o Serve as a point person on the creation and distribution of gift acknowledgment letters and tax receipts for charitable contributions to the Foundation;
o Monitor the general Donor Services email inbox;
o Address all incoming inquiries with a positive and helpful attitude;
o Coordinate with the Finance/Fund Administration department to resolve gift and grant issues with donors;
o Provides support to donors and staff on using the Boston Foundation’s online donor portal;
o Work closely with Senior Donor Services Manager on annual replenishment mailing and proactive outreach to advisors of inactive and low balance funds;
o Maintain and update donor and Donor Advised Fund records in the Boston Foundation databases, including succession plans;
o Facilitate quarterly fund statements mailing and other physical letters;
o Work collaboratively with Donor Services team to implement and uphold data integrity protocols in Salesforce and other database systems;
• Provide recommendations to improve internal processes of the Donor Services team;
• Assists with report creation and generating needed reports for internal and external use;
• Liaise regularly with colleagues in the Fund Administration department on current gift and grant issues to ensure effective cross-departmental communication;
• Attend committee meetings when requested and takes notes as needed;
• Processes and submits expense reports and department invoices on a monthly basis;
• Coordinates the review and updating of marketing materials;
• Provides technical and administrative support for events including managing timelines and activities in coordination with the Events Team, tracking and coordination of guest lists, invitation mailings and follow up correspondence; and
• Assist with occasional events in the mornings (prior to 9:00 a.m.) and evenings (after 5:00 p.m.).
Other Duties and Responsibilities: Individuals assigned to this position may perform other duties as assigned.
Preparation, Knowledge, Previous Experience:
• Two years related work experience or a Bachelor’s degree required;
• Administrative and customer service experience preferred; and
• Non-profit experience preferred.
Skills, Abilities, Competencies:
• Strong writing and communication skills with meticulous attention to detail;
• Excellent proofreading and editing skills;
• Demonstrated customer service orientation;
• Participatory work style; team player and sense of humor;
• Ability to give and receive constructive feedback;
• Ability to handle confidential matters in a discreet manner;
• Ability to prioritize tasks and meet organizational deadlines;
• A self-starter with a professional and mature interpersonal style, ability to interact well with a diverse range of people;
• Excellent data management and reporting skills; database experience in Salesforce strongly preferred;
• Technical proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint);
• Ability to learn new applications quickly;
• A can-do and will-do attitude, i.e. no task is too high level nor too basic; and
• Commitment to contributing to an overall organizational culture of learning and wellbeing.
Working Conditions & Physical Demands:
• Ability to work for long periods of time at a workstation;
• Ability to use a computer monitor and keyboard for long periods of time; and
• Ability to work onsite and remotely, as required.
How to Apply
All applications should be submitted online. Select “Donor Services Associate” to complete our online application process.