We are social investors who support a more effective democracy by funding free expression and journalism, arts and culture in community, research in areas of media and democracy, and in the success of American cities and towns where the Knight brothers once published newspapers.
Our approach is inclusive and non-partisan; we value freedoms of speech and the press, and we often embrace new and innovative technology to achieve our goals. The qualities we look for are openness to new ideas; courage to push for change; and the expertise and tenacity to achieve the desired results. Tell us what excites you about this opportunity and why you are right for it.
Are you passionate about sustaining independent local news and strengthening press freedom? Do you have interest or experience in the field of local news, media law, or the intersection of the two? Do you pride yourself on driving impact by focusing on measurable, desired outcomes that are aligned with strategy? If so, we want to hear from you.
Knight Foundation’s Journalism team seeks an intellectually curious, impact-driven and detail-focused individual who enjoys working in a collaborative environment to advance the program’s investments in legal infrastructure and press freedom, primarily within the United States. The Journalism program advances local news sustainability through investments in business infrastructure, technology innovation and leadership development. The program also supports efforts to protect the First Amendment and to assure that legal services are available to journalists.
You will report to Knight’s Vice President of Journalism, and work closely with technology, business and talent program directors to help build a sustainable future for independent local journalism. For more information on the Journalism program visit www.kf.org/journalism.
● Evaluate, develop, and recommend grant proposals.
● Manage a portfolio of existing grants to drive positive outcomes.
● Represent the foundation nationally to grantees and the community.
● Be the team expert on our press freedom and legal efforts.
● Research trends, data and issues in the field and provide logical and well-written findings.
● Manage special projects, external consultants and events in support of the Journalism program.
● Facilitate the timely flow of information by liaising and partnering with other foundation departments.
Things we look for in a successful candidate:
● Resourcefulness in seeking and recognizing opportunities, and savvy in advancing them.
● Ability to quickly develop and grow credibility and rapport with colleagues, grantees and partners at all levels.
● Well-developed ability to synthesize a range of inputs into strong written outputs.
● Openness to challenging assumptions and ways of thinking.
● Ability to learn quickly when facing new problems and embracing the challenge of unfamiliar tasks.
● Exceptional discernment, discretion and ethics.
● Belief in Knight Foundation’s mission.
● Experience with First Amendment and legal issues is a plus but is not required.
How to Apply
Knight Foundation offers competitive pay and a generous benefits package, collects and monitors vaccination status and is an equal opportunity employer.
This is an in-office position located in Miami.
Local candidates only.
For more on Knight Foundation, visit www.kf.org