The Sobrato Organization
Redwood Shores Center, Redwood City
Founded by John A. Sobrato in 1979 and led by CEO Matthew Sonsini and President Rob Hollister, The Sobrato Organization remains a family-owned firm known for integrity and dedication, with no outside investors or joint venture partners. Since 1953, the Sobrato Family has played a pivotal role in shaping Silicon Valley through its real estate development. Its office, and R&D projects comprise 7.5 million square feet, most of which are Class A, mid-rise office buildings. The firm also owns 30 apartment communities totaling 6,700 units along the West Coast. Through Sobrato Philanthropies, the firm has donated more than $379 million in cash and real estate to the Silicon Valley community.
Reporting to the Senior Program Officer (SPO) Redwood City, the Philanthropy Partner (PP) will be responsible for building relationships, delivering a highly relevant and engaged partner experience, cultivation of new partners, and program delivery to advance a holistic, multi-generational economic mobility approach. The Redwood Shores Center will host partners, programs and services critical to the R community, especially youth/residents facing barriers to economic mobility. The PP will be a key member of the Foundation’s San Jose team, playing a central role in building relationships, driving coordination across partners (grantees, tenants, and community partners), and connecting the Nonprofit Center community, including residents and other space users, to resources and networks. The PA will work with colleagues across Sobrato Philanthropies to ensure effective and efficient planning, community engagement, communications, event management, and grantmaking. The candidate will center equity and community voice in their approach and enjoy building authentic relationships with residents, grantees, tenants, and other partners.
The ideal candidate for this role can work independently and collaborate readily as part of a diverse team. You are a critical thinker who thrives in a fast-paced work environment and are comfortable with ambiguity, can pivot, work in an agile way and successfully manage multiple projects simultaneously, while maintaining strong attention to detail and an overall commitment to excellence. The position requires an entrepreneurial spirit and ability to recognize opportunities to further the organization’s mission.
Responsibilities and Tasks
Job Responsibility 1: Partner Experience, Space Activation, and Management
% of Time: 30
– Cultivates the center culture, fosters a dynamic network, and builds community through strong relationships cultivation and creative programming.
– Ensures the Center is activated and accessible, developing and designing a master activation calendar per the Center’s defined purpose and Silicon Valley strategy.
– Serves as welcoming resource connector and navigator to tenants and guests.
– Coordinates shared SCNP spaces, including conference rooms, reviewing, and approving event/meeting requests.
– Serves as onsite support for day-to-day operations and leads staff or volunteer planning and scheduling for special events.
– Plans and oversees the implementation of Sobrato events, socials, etc.
– Alongside the program and Property Management team, develops and maintains Center policies.
– Supervises onsite interns or fellows.
Job Responsibility 2: Relationship Management, Community Engagement and Communications
% of Time: 30
– Serves as the primary relationship manager for the onsite Nonprofit Center partners.
– Works closely with Sobrato partners (grantees, tenants, community partners and other stakeholders) in in-person meetings, workshops, events, and other engagement opportunities.
– Co-creates, implements, and supports program community engagement strategy, including site activation with meetings, workshops, conferences, and events.
– Holds engagement spaces with residents/clients, tenants, and grantees to deepen community building, reciprocal learning, and activation at nonprofit centers.
– Supports and implements approaches to centering the community in line with program strategy (e.g., advisory group(s) for residents, grantees, and program recipients).
– Builds rapport with grantees and tenants to understand organizations’ and communities’ holistic needs, assets, and opportunities.
– Makes recommendations to the local team (Program Officer and Senior Program Officer) to leverage the full range of levers toward impact (policy, capacity building, Social Purpose Real Estate, Program Related Investments, etc.).
– Represents the Foundation to various constituencies, including participation in outside conferences and meetings.
Job Responsibility 3: Program Delivery, Facilitation and Support
% of Time: 30
– Co-creates and delivers on the implementation of onsite programming relevant to partner organizations.
– Facilitates cross-partner communications, including supporting collaboration and workflows across partners and across the Sobrato team.
– Provides support to the Sobrato San Jose team, including meeting arrangements, general administrative projects, and research, and organizing meetings, process flows, and calendars as needed.
– Enters data for grant, impact, and evaluation processes for San Jose partners.
– Organizes, updates, and tracks grantee and tenant files in the central database; maintains the teams’ online file storage; ensures that all information is current and easy to access.
– Responds to general e-mail and website inquiries about the Foundation and/or funding requests.
– Coordinates special projects as assigned.
Other Responsibilities as Assigned % of Time:
% of Time: 10
– Other duties as assigned
Education / Training
– Minimum Bachelor’s degree required or equivalent combination of education and work experience in the philanthropic, nonprofit, education, and/or public sector.
– 3-5 years experience in community engagement, community building, nonprofit program implementation, facilities/operations support, and/or administrative duties.
– Experience in nonprofits or philanthropy with a strong understanding and perspective on current opportunities and challenges in the field.
– Strong experience in in-depth relationship cultivation and management.
– Strong ability to collaborate, partner and work with various stakeholders from varied backgrounds.
– Excellent project planning and management skills ensure deliverables are well-executed and timely.
– Strong written and verbal communication skills to effectively interact with diverse internal and external stakeholders.
– Proficient with database software, website tools, and in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) and Office 365 in a Mac environment; familiarity with standard office equipment and phone system.
– Project management- Ability to manage big picture while executing with attention to detail.
– Background and experience in working with nonprofit service providers and community organizations.
– Experience in event planning, meeting facilitation, or convening.
– Experience using Fluxx Grants Management Software
– Familiarity with Redwood City and/or the Silicon Valley Ecosystem
– Ability to drive key deliverables effectively and efficiently.
– Ability to be proactive and constantly prioritize responsibilities in a fast-moving and rapidly changing environment.
– Works well independently and within a team, demonstrating great initiative, flexibility, and collaboration.
– Exercises good judgment.