The Kresge Foundation
Hybrid, Troy, MI
The Kresge Foundation is one of the top 20 private philanthropic foundations in the United States and the only one focused exclusively on expanding opportunities for people with low income in American cities. With an endowment of approximately $4 billion and a staff of over 100 employees, the foundation deploys grants and social investments across arts and culture, education, environment, health, human services and community development. The foundation’s state-of-the-art headquarters maintains an array of energy-efficient, water-conserving and health-promoting systems. The foundation also operates an office in Detroit’s Midtown district.
The Senior Accountant & Tax Specialist is responsible for reconciling financial accounting activity and performing the day-to-day accounting and tax functions with an emphasis on its complex reporting for alternative investments. This position has the role of gaining a thorough understanding of accounting and tax matters affecting the Foundation to ensure proper planning, compliance, research, tracking, analysis and reporting. This position will support the Deputy CFO and Controller, Finance team and other internal staff as well as interact with external advisors and peer foundations.
• Participates in analysis of accounting and tax issues as they arise. In conjunction with external advisors, researches new and pending updates and regulations as well as assesses impact and resulting reporting requirements.
• Provides technical expertise, reviewing and recommending procedures for compliance with financial reporting standards as well as international, federal, state and local tax regulations. Responsible for documenting accounting and tax positions and implementing processes and procedures.
• Prepares general ledger entries, analysis and reconciliations as assigned to ensure data accuracy and integrity.
• Assists with monthly, quarterly and yearly close process.
• Assists with preparation for the annual audit as needed.
• Fulfills accounting, audit and tax information requests as required.
• Prepares all accounting and tax schedules, reconciliations and journal entries related to Forms 990-PF, 990-T and state tax filings for internal and external audit review.
• Prepares Forms 990-PF and 990-T for internal and external review. Responds to review notes and reviews returns prior to filing.
• Assists with tax and payout forecasts as well as preparation of all quarterly tax estimates and return extensions.
• Responsible for the collection and follow up on all federal and state Schedule K-1’s, foreign reporting forms and all other relevant tax related information and forms.
• Prepares state registrations, annual reports and tax exemptions.
• Obtains U.S. Residency Certificates and foreign exemption letters as needed.
• Tracks foreign entity elections, transactions, ownership and related information for foreign reporting forms. Reviews externally prepared foreign reporting forms prior to filing.
• Supports the Deputy CFO and Controller during interactions with the Internal Revenue Service and State Treasury related matters.
• Assists with investment tax analysis and entity selection process.
• Provides back-up support to the Finance Operations Specialist role as needed.
• Develops collaborative relationships with external audit and tax advisors and demonstrates partnership with internal departments to maximize the benefits realized from the relationships.
• Develops processes and procedures as necessary to ensure accuracy and maintain proper internal controls. Identifies and implements opportunities for operational improvements in the accounting, audit and tax preparation processes.
• Assists with special projects as needed.
• Strong commitment to the Foundation’s vision and values with the ability to demonstrate that commitment in daily interactions.
This position is full-time. The starting salary for this position begins at $90,619.00 per year. Individual offers will be based on the candidate’s years of experience and our practice of upholding salary equity within the foundation.
This position is located in Troy, Michigan and currently has a hybrid schedule. Tuesday and Wednesday are the standard in-office days, however, there may be times when you will have to adjust the days based on work needs.
This position requires occasional travel for foundation activities, events and professional development activities.
Some of the benefits include:
• Health, dental, vision and life insurance
• Paid time off
• Half day Fridays
• 401k and 401k matching
• Tuition reimbursement
• Life, accident and disability insurance
• Excellent analytical, writing, verbal and social communication skills.
• BA/BS degree accounting or finance required; Master’s preferred. CPA required.
• Two plus years of public accounting experience. Tax experience with investments and partnerships preferred. Knowledge of federal, international and exempt organization tax issues highly desirable. Private foundation and audit experience a plus.
• Strong knowledge of Windows-based spreadsheet and word processing software required (Microsoft Office products). Knowledge and experience working with accounting and tax software (Great Plains and ProSystem fx, respectively) preferred.
• Advanced skill level with excel.
• Proven organizational and planning skills with excellent attention to detail.
• Ability to multi-task, establish priorities and organize efficiently.
• Positive team attitude.
How to Apply
The application deadline for this position is Midnight EST on January 7, 2024.
The Kresge Foundation COVID -19 Vaccination Policy requires all employees to be “up to date” on the COVID-19 vaccination. The Foundation defines “up to date” as having received two primary doses of the Pfizer-BioNtech or Moderna vaccine or one primary dose of the J&J vaccine and any booster dose(s) when eligible. Proof of vaccination must be provided prior to the first day of employment. If you believe you need a disability or religious accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act regarding the vaccination policy, you are responsible for requesting an accommodation prior to your first day of employment by notifying Human Resources. Employment will be contingent upon the outcome of the accommodation review process.
Kresge is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ+ applicants. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
The Kresge Foundation participates in E-Verify to confirm authorization to work in the United States. For more information on E-Verify and to know your rights please click here.