New York City
New York (strongly preferred), San Francisco/Bay Area, or Washington, DC
About Proteus Fund
Proteus Fund connects philanthropy to the frontlines of social justice. We strive to advance the interconnected goals of racial, gender, queer, and disability justice and an inclusive, fully representative democracy. To do our work effectively and with significant impact, Proteus Fund creates dynamic relationships between progressive philanthropists, movement leaders, and other allies that go far beyond transactional grantmaking. Our trusted position among funders and field actors enables us to support, both through collaborative grantmaking and other efforts, a broad array of strategies to achieve social justice victories.
Our donor collaboratives are best-in-class models for bridging responsive philanthropy and cutting-edge social justice movements for deeper impact, aligning resources to address critical needs, and shaping strategy alongside our partners. Current donor collaboratives include:
Piper Fund. Connects and resources grassroots organizations dedicated to protecting our democracy and envisioning reforms to make it more inclusive and representative. We break down silos to support community-led coalitions and help build dynamic movements that produce powerful change.
The Rights, Faith & Democracy Collaborative (RFDC). Educates and mobilizes philanthropy in order to raise and target desperately needed resources to diverse coalitions of state-based activists and organizations committed to realizing full inclusion and justice for those harmed by this wave of religious extremism.
The RISE Together Fund (RTF) + RISE Together Action Fund (RTAF). Supports cutting-edge Black, African, Arab, Middle Eastern, Muslim, and South Asian (BAMEMSA) field-led work. RTF bolsters its national grantmaking with programming, field building, and technical assistance to build and expand the capacity of the BAMEMSA movement toward racial, gender, and queer justice and a fully inclusive and representative democracy.
The Solidarity Collaborative. Supports intersectional solidarity between organizations and communities working towards racial justice through dedicated grantmaking and programming support.
Through our fiscal sponsorship program, Proteus Fund partners with initiatives that play a powerful role in the larger ecosystem for social change, providing them with tailored and comprehensive organizational support.
To date, Proteus Fund and its affiliated 501(c)(4) organization, the Proteus Action League (PAL), have distributed $250 million in grants and provided other essential tools to support activists, advocates, networks, coalitions, and issue-specific campaigns at the local, state, and national level.
Proteus Fund is headquartered in New York City. Our staff is based across the entire United States.
Proteus operates and pursues its work based on a set of values synergistic with our vision and mission:
• Diversity, equity, and inclusion;
• Integrity and professionalism;
• Transparency and accountability; and
• Respect and humility
Under the supervision of the Vice President of Programs, the Strategic Partnerships Director will provide overall donor collaborative strategy on development functions, mentor development-focused staff, and serve as a senior strategist for partnerships with donor collaboratives.
Initial onboarding for this position will focus on reviewing existing development files and records, building relationships with the leaders of Proteus’ donor collaboratives, developing a clear understanding of the opportunities and challenges of current fundraising strategies and cross-fund infrastructure needs, and addressing open questions around development planning. In partnership with the Vice President of Programs, the Strategic Partnerships Director will focus during year one on scaling fundraising systems, developing process efficiencies, and identifying solutions to drive internal collaboration.
Key immediate objectives include:
• Hire and onboard a new Strategic Partnerships Manager who will report to the Director (slated for the summer of 2024)
• Select a new enterprise CRM, support data migration, and staff training
• Upgrade fundraising infrastructure to address prospect research needs and systems, stewardship processes and systems, grant writing and grants work-tracking tools, development templates, and a gift acceptance policy
• Assess donor collaborative staff fundraising professional development needs and implement new offerings
Upon successful completion of these key internal objectives, the Strategic Partnerships Director will add an externally-facing component focused on leveraging synergies across donor collaboratives to identify and steward new and existing donors for transformational gifts to Proteus Fund and its donor collaboratives over the coming years.
Essential Job Functions
Systems + Operations
• Build and strengthen systems and processes for departmental operations and the full donor lifecycle
• Develop prospecting strategies; develop the process of researching and identifying new funding opportunities from private foundations and major donors
• Develop the design of donor engagement activities and campaigns
• Design and execute organization-wide training for staff, including sharing of best practices and providing tools, information, and resources to strengthen fundraising efforts
Organizational Leadership + Team Support
• Ensure development activities are aligned with Proteus Fund’s organizational strategic priorities
• Support the performance of fundraising staff, providing a clear vision, inspiring and motivating team members to perform well and collaborate effectively
•Provide leadership and training to the staff on fundraising efforts, including sharing best practices and providing tools, information, and resources to strengthen fundraising and funder-organizing efforts
• Partner with the leadership team on the regular assessment, analysis, reporting, and projections of development and campaign activity, income, and pledges, including any significant variances or unforeseen shifts in budget
Solicitation + Stewardship
• Increase departmental training and capacity to cultivate new donor prospects and steward existing donor relationships
Year Two + Beyond
Organizational Leadership + Team Support
• Serve as a thought partner and support to the Vice President of Programs and President + CEO to ensure their time is best leveraged in fundraising, primarily around donor cultivation and stewardship
• Lead yearly development strategy and planning for foundations and individual donors, including overarching narrative development for donor and funder collateral
Solicitation + Stewardship
• Manage a portfolio of the organization’s key foundations and individuals; partner with program leadership and staff in stewarding these relationships
• Co-host donor briefings with donor collaborative directors and fundraising leads
• In coordination with donor collaborative leadership and senior management, represent Proteus Fund at key foundation meetings and events and collaborate with the President + CEO and program staff to design briefings for foundations and other external stakeholders
This position reports to Proteus Fund’s Vice President of Programs and will hire and oversee a Strategic Partnerships Manager.
Fundraising staff housed within donor collaboratives (currently two staff members) will have dotted-line reporting to the Strategic Partnerships Director.
Location + Travel
Candidates based in the New York City metro area will be expected to work from the Proteus Fund office a minimum of three days per week.
Proteus Fund’s office is located at 275 Madison Avenue, New York, NY 10016.
Some travel (10-15%), including donor meetings and events, is expected.
Compensation + Benefits
This is a full-time, exempt position with a salary range of $150,000-$170,000.
Proteus Fund utilizes geographic salary differentials; compensation will be contingent on location.
A highly competitive benefits package is provided, including:
• Medical and dental benefits for employees and eligible dependents available on the first day of work
• 401(k) retirement savings account with an organization contribution of 10% of annual salary
• Three weeks paid vacation in the first year of employment; four weeks in subsequent years
• Fifteen sick days per year
• Three personal days per year
• Fifteen paid holidays
• Professional development initiatives for growth
• Paid Family Leave
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
Please note, to maintain and safeguard staff’s health, well-being, and safety, Proteus Fund requires all employees to be vaccinated, including the initial vaccine series and boosters, prior to their employment and adhere to the regular upkeep of COVID-19 vaccination requirements as per CDC recommendations while employed. Proof of the CDC-recommended level of COVID-19 vaccination is required as a condition of employment with Proteus Fund.
As a reflection of our firm’s commitment to equity and equal pay for all, Cooper Coleman requires that salary ranges or salary starting points be published for every search we conduct. The practice of not posting salaries perpetuates the gender and racial wage gap and discriminates against women, people of color, and other historically excluded populations by causing individuals to negotiate from a disadvantaged starting point.
Experience + Alignment to Culture + Values
• Eight (8) years or more development experience with a proven track record of successful and sustainable multi-year 501c3 fundraising
• A proven track record of foundation fundraising around multiple and intersecting social justice issues
• A strong team organizer who can build cohesion, alignment, and a passion for establishing a culture of philanthropy across the donor collaborative teams and development staff
• Leader, mentor, and advisor to support donor collaborative development strategies and staff skills with an abundance mindset
• Strong communication skills and generosity in sharing information
• Experience with building fundraising infrastructure and systems
• Strong knowledge of development CRMs, moves management practices, and a commitment to data integrity
• Excellent relationship-building and interpersonal skills
• Excellent project management and organizational skills. Ability to prioritize and manage multiple high-priority tasks and responsibilities under tight deadlines and schedules while inspiring others to do the same
• Ability and willingness to adapt as goals and community needs shift
• Strong financial acumen to manage budgets
• Strong problem-solving and analytical skills, including the ability to facilitate disagreement
Alignment to Culture + Values
• Commitment to the mission and values of progressive social justice movements
• Cultural responsiveness and an alignment with our values and commitment to equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging
• Strong relationship building, high ethical standards, discretion, and tact
• Personal qualities of humility, empathy, and a good sense of humor
How to Apply
Submission Instructions (please read carefully)
Cooper Coleman is leading this search on behalf of Proteus Fund. To apply, please visit this link (www.coopercoleman.com/current-searches). Inquiries and nominations of qualified candidates can be sent to: Paul Towne |
Kindly use the position title as the subject line of your email. All inquiries will be held in confidence.
A cover letter is not required with your initial application but is welcomed to help us understand your fitness for this role during our initial evaluation. Candidates invited for interviews with the Proteus Fund team will be asked to provide a thoughtful letter of interest indicating their specific qualifications for the opportunity, desire to join Proteus Fund, and connection to its mission.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the successful candidate has been selected.
Cooper Coleman LLC is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all qualified candidates and will refer candidates without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation or identity, age, ability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis.
EEO + Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Proteus Fund believes that one of the greatest strengths of an organization is the rich diversity of its staff and board and is committed to providing equal employment and promotional opportunities based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, or expression, pregnancy, sexual orientation/affectional preference, age, national origin, ethnicity, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under the law. Proteus Fund’s policies and practices reflect its commitment to nondiscrimination in all areas of employment.
Proteus Fund is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, Proteus will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact the search consultant leading this search, Paul Towne, at .
Comprehensive Personal Screening + Reference Check
Before sending your resume for this position, please read it over for accuracy. Cooper Coleman verifies its candidates’ employment and academic credentials, where applicable, at the time of offer and will conduct a background check, not including a credit check, before finalizing an offer,